Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Can anyone compare the i20's with the g20's?

I can compare since I have both sets. I first bought the G20's because everyone said this is the club I needed due to my handicap. Although I did hit them fairly straight, I chunked a lot of shots that were within 100 yards to the green. It could have been me and not the irons though. While I was at a range that is also a Ping fitter, I asked to hit the I20. I could not hit it straight and my G20 was about 5 - 10 yards further. I played with them about two months and could not shake the feeling that I should have bought the I20's instead. This is based only on appearance. Yes, i am that shallow to judge by appearance..:act-up: Something Ihart said to me once that started to make me think. When you have a doubt in your mind it will nag at you until you can do away with it. Or something like that. So, I bit the bullet and bought the I20's

At first, I thought I just made a huge mistake. I could not hit these as well as the G20's and my scores just shot straight up. The lighter weight threw me off. After about 4 rounds, it was as if the heavens opened up and God himself blessed these irons because they started to go straight and long. The main thing I noticed was I did not have to put as much of an effort to swing these irons to get a good hit. And when you do hit the sweet spot, it feels like butter. I never had this feeling with my G20's.

Now my mind sometimes thinks about these G20's and I will bring a couple of irons to the driving range. I can honestly say my I20's go straighter and longer now. I know it is because I am use to them but when I stand over my shots now, I feel like a professional golfer. When I stand over my G20's, I feel like an amateur because they are so big. When golf is more mental, this helps tremendously.

One last thing. I can now shape my shots somewhat. I am not sure I could do this with the G20's due to the size.

Can anyone compare the i20's with the g20's?

Aside from TM's great review there: lower launch, smaller profile, nicer turf interaction if you don't dig a pelt, easier to manuver if your inclinded to shape the ball.

I intend to have a set on backup duty if I ever come across some on the cheap.

Thanks for the info. With all the great info in here on the i20's, I wonder if the g20's get overlooked. Went back and read JB's review of the g20's and he seemed to like them. Just curious as to why people seem to flock to the i20's over the g20's.

Thanks for the info. With all the great info in here on the i20's, I wonder if the g20's get overlooked. Went back and read JB's review of the g20's and he seemed to like them. Just curious as to why people seem to flock to the i20's over the g20's.

Personally it was looks, profile and feel/sound for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Personally it was looks, profile and feel/sound for me.

The i20 sole is still quite a bit thicker than your CB's right?

The i20 sole is still quite a bit thicker than your CB's right?

Yesssir! But from top down, not much difference. Ill get soem pics for ya later.

Yesssir! But from top down, not much difference. Ill get soem pics for ya later.

You are a good dude.

The G20's are a good set of irons. I wanted the I20's for two reasons. 1) The looks. I didn't understand this mentality at first but after owning the G20's and I20's, I definately understand this now. 2) Being able to grow into these irons. Meaning if and when I finally get my handicap in the single digits, these clubs will benefit me more by being able to play different types of swings or shots. I honestly didn't think I would be able to hit these as well so soon. My handicap was around 25 when I bought these.

The biggest surprise to me is how easy it is to hit my 3 and 4 irons. Being a players type club, I thought I would have to be a player.

Because Lee plays i20's, not G20's.

The G20's are a good set of irons. I wanted the I20's for two reasons. 1) The looks. I didn't understand this mentality at first but after owning the G20's and I20's, I definately understand this now. 2) Being able to grow into these irons. Meaning if and when I finally get my handicap in the single digits, these clubs will benefit me more by being able to play different types of swings or shots. I honestly didn't think I would be able to hit these as well so soon. My handicap was around 25 when I bought these.

The biggest surprise to me is how easy it is to hit my 3 and 4 irons. Being a players type club, I thought I would have to be a player.

You like many others in this thread seemed to have dropped quite a few strokes with these irons. I have never gamed a SGI iron and wanted to have a set to mess around with which is why am interested in the comparison to the g20's. In the end it seems like I might be better off with the i20's as they seem to have a good blend of forgiveness and looks. I really like my J40's but can't seem to stay away from this thread. Irons are my favorite clubs to hoard by far.

Honestly Erik, I have zero experience with the G series but I imagine they help one get the ball up in the air. Personally, I think you'd be more than fine with the i Series but perhaps you just want something different from the DPC's?

Erik I think you would like the I20's a lot better than the G20s. They are a bit bulky and have quite a bit more offset. The i20's have tons of forgiveness packed in there.

Honestly Erik, I have zero experience with the G series but I imagine they help one get the ball up in the air. Personally, I think you'd be more than fine with the i Series but perhaps you just want something different from the DPC's?

Just want something else to mess around with. I like the idea of having something like a SGI iron that will do the work for me but I also like the idea of having some i20's go head to head with my J40's.

Erik I think you would like the I20's a lot better than the G20s. They are a bit bulky and have quite a bit more offset. The i20's have tons of forgiveness packed in there.

You a probably right.

If you want, I will send you my G20's to try out

Well that's a kind gesture.

If you want, I will send you my G20's to try out

That is such a nice offer and I appreciate it. I will think about it but still pondering at this time.

Because Lee plays i20's, not G20's.

I wonder sometimes why you weren't announced at the MC 2.0 by GG as "the man with Lee Westwood's name tattoo'd on his butt"...

Sad story. I don't know how it happened, but when my i20's were returned to me from WRX the 5&6 iron shafts had been changed and were no longer hard stepped??? :confused: I dunno what happened but PING is taking care of it right now. This means another week and a half of gaming the 588's while I wait on my babies to get back to me again.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Had a great day yesterday. Was swinging really well, 7 pars, 1 boneheaded double, and a bird for a 37. Lots of wind. All my iron shots were working. Most memorable was on hole 1. Wind was really gusting in to me and I had 85 yards to the pin. Thought about a full UW and let the wind slow it down a bit. Decided to knock it down. Shot felt great, nice big divot and a low flight. Kind you know have a bunch of spin. Ball landed 10 feet under pin and stopped dead.

Day like today made me appreciate how forgiving the i20s are on me. I hit just about all my shots dead flush except 1-2. Ball flight was weaker on the misses, but I barely lost any distance. There's just no doubt when I'm swinging these irons. Flat out work for me.

I wonder sometimes why you weren't announced at the MC 2.0 by GG as "the man with Lee Westwood's name tattoo'd on his butt"...

Sad story. I don't know how it happened, but when my i20's were returned to me from WRX the 5&6 iron shafts had been changed and were no longer hard stepped??? :confused: I dunno what happened but PING is taking care of it right now. This means another week and a half of gaming the 588's while I wait on my babies to get back to me again.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Hey Colt, how did you know they weren't hard stepped? That's kind of scary as I'm thinking of sending mine to PING WRX this winter.

The steps on the shafts are progressive and are evenly spaced from iron to iron. I noticed that the steps were off on the 5 and 6. The 5 was the same as the 4 and the 6 was progressive with the 5 with the 7 having a large change in step size. So I pulled the grips off of the 5 and 6 and they actually have the shafts numbers stamped into the serial on the shafts under the grip as well. That confirmed it.

Tapping while I work, on my Galaxy S3.

After having a ton of success with irons and specifically with the 4 iron, I am seriously pondering getting a 3 iron. I need something to fill the 210-230 spot in my bag and I think the 3 iron would get me there.

Hey Doc. Have you tried the i20 hybrids? i know exactly what you mean about the 4i it really is a good iron to hit and I was surprised with my success with it.

TapAhoy!

Back