Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

The 5i took some reps for me man. I've pondered the 4i. Just a certain shot shape you get?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I don't know if its the offset or what. I just try and steer the ball. I am weird.

I really struggled with the 5I. I think its mental though as I also struggle with the XF 5I. I ponder putting these back in the bag

JRod, don't know if you saw any of my posts on my frustrations with the long irons. Part of my problem was hitting off of plastic practice mats but it went further than that. I've found that by choking up a 1/2" and taking a more upright approach to my swing, I have much better contact. The short irons are wonderful. Could be that I need to change the lie on the longer irons. The 4 and 5 iron have become trusted favorites and the 3 has been a joy off the tee. Question is, should you adjust to your clubs or should the clubs adjust to you.

I love the 5iron. Hope you get all that worked out JRod. Are you still hitting these? I thought you had some Nike clubs or something.

I hit the i20's quite well yesterday whilst golfing with One-T. I hit the ball so solid with these irons. Truth is, I just like the way they sound and feel. It's truly hard to describe how soft and muted they are until you experience it for yourself. I hit the most wicked PW ever! I had a ball that settled right on the edge of the rough/edge of the bunker. Ball way below my feet. I had 117 to the flag and I just pounded down on the ball to get it up and through all that hazard. Stuffed it to about 2 feet! That shot right there made me feel like Lee Westwood. Only i20's can do that, LOL

Nice shot TC. You're right about the feel. With yours, on a mishit, do see the flight lowered and not much else wrong?

Nice shot TC. You're right about the feel. With yours, on a mishit, do see the flight lowered and not much else wrong?

I'm not sure I follow buddy. My miss is more laterally than it is thick or thin. It's weird, I used to miss left more than anything but these days my miss is a ball that wanders right, which just freaks me out. I do think that I can flight these a little lower if I want to. Not tremendously, but I can do it.

Outstanding shot TC. These are some amazing irons.

TapAhoy!

Thanks SMG! I'm a bit of a fan. I'm about to regrip mine soon.

Sorry TC, I see I was pretty vague. I go left right too. But, if make square contact a little off center all I see is a lower flight. A lot of irons I've demo'd maintain the height with a big distance loss with an off center hit, not so w the i20s. Hope I didn't make what I'm trying to say more confusing.

Sorry TC, I see I was pretty vague. I go left right too. But, if make square contact a little off center all I see is a lower flight. A lot of irons I've demo'd maintain the height with a big distance loss with an off center hit, not so w the i20s. Hope I didn't make what I'm trying to say more confusing.

No, that makes sense Griff. I guess when I think about it, I do see something somewhat similar.

I love the 5iron. Hope you get all that worked out JRod. Are you still hitting these? I thought you had some Nike clubs or something.

I hit the i20's quite well yesterday whilst golfing with One-T. I hit the ball so solid with these irons. Truth is, I just like the way they sound and feel. It's truly hard to describe how soft and muted they are until you experience it for yourself. I hit the most wicked PW ever! I had a ball that settled right on the edge of the rough/edge of the bunker. Ball way below my feet. I had 117 to the flag and I just pounded down on the ball to get it up and through all that hazard. Stuffed it to about 2 feet! That shot right there made me feel like Lee Westwood. Only i20's can do that, LOL

Great shot!

Going back through this thread makes me excited to get my set in the next few days! Thanks again everyone.

I know exactly what you mean TC! I keep thinking back on a shot I made during my crazy rounds at Bandon. It was on the 18th hole of Bandon Trails (the 63rd hole of the day for me). There were caddies playing the hole and I was told by the Marshall that they would wave me up, which they did. This is a pretty tough driving hole, but I just ripped my drive over these guy's heads into a blind landing area. I get up there and there are several balls, none of which was mine. I looked 30 yards further up and it was in the bunker, but just barely. I had an awkward lie with the ball below my feet and 125 to a significantly uphill green. I pulled out my 9 iron and put the ball 6 feet from the pin while the caddies all looked on and told me what a great shot that was. I hit a fantastic drive, I made my birdie putt, but the 9 iron shot out of the bunker is what I keep thinking about, it just felt so pure.

On the way to my best round ever, 70, the i20s got the job done. Most of my success came from my short game and tee game today. They never got me in trouble and were like workhorses out there. Hit 11/18 greens. Isn't that crazy? That's a good number for me. My expectations seem pretty high, overly high sometimes, with the i20s.

When everything is going so well it's hard not to nit pick. The main thing I noticed today is my shots drifting both left and right. I played for straight shots all day so everything worked out fine. Unless I had a very favorable pin placement it was aim for the middle and fire away. Had I been firing at every pin I'd have missed more greens for sure. Matter of fact, the missed greens were a byproduct of me being too optimistic and aggressive.

Hmm, the more I think back and the more I type I can see I'm not keeping things in perspective. What more could I ask from my irons? No razzle dazzle, just get me in position to end the hole on the next shot or two. That's what they did and after getting over myself I can see they did their job and did it well.

Shot of the day. Easily would be an 8 iron into a par 3. I've struggled with this hole in the past. Plays tricks with my head because it's just a plain old straight par 3 with a little bunker off to the left. I look for trouble that isnt there. Forced myself to forget everything and just hit a nice smooth shot. Was staring it down the entire way, knew I had it right this time. Ball popped right next to the hole and came back a couple feet. Easy tap in bird, 3rd on day.

Without the reliability of the i20s I never would have shot so well today.

Hit these in an indoor sim and really liked te way they felt and the sim distance was certainly better than with my side by side swings with the Mizzy 52s. I do have a question about their distance control, especially 8-pw. This is where my current sticks really shine. Since a number of you have gamed 588s how do these compare on consisency and dispersion.

Hit these in an indoor sim and really liked te way they felt and the sim distance was certainly better than with my side by side swings with the Mizzy 52s. I do have a question about their distance control, especially 8-pw. This is where my current sticks really shine. Since a number of you have gamed 588s how do these compare on consisency and dispersion.

Interesting. I am pondering the i20's and I myself would be coming from MP-52's. What did you see on the launch monitor with the short irons, side by side, that would question the distance control?

I have 588's and I honestly don't see a lick of difference between sets. They are both about as good as you will get in this department. If you want another opinion as well then just ask TC. He has both sets as well.

Tapping while I work, on my Galaxy S3.

Interesting. I am pondering the i20's and I myself would be coming from MP-52's. What did you see on the launch monitor with the short irons, side by side, that would question the distance control?

Obviously, I'm more familiar with my current sticks and with the 6i and a normal 80%' 3/4 swing, I averaged 162 carry with a range of 157 to 164. The ball speed was +- 3 mph. With the i20' i averaged 171 with a low of 163 and a high of 180 with a ballspeed of +- 7 mph. It makes me worry just a bit since I experienced something similar with the X24s and hot face syndrome resulting in too many greens missed long. Death where I normally play.

Of course, this wasn't trackman testing under real conditions.

Oh, I know you werent. I will tell you this though. When the article hits, you will see some wonderful belts and we will be giving almost all of them away on the forum.

The i20's don't have a face that are engineered to be really hot per se. The D0 swing weight coupled with you're not being familiar with the irons probably has a lot to do with your lack of distance control. There is always going to be a bit of a breaking in period with any iron set during which time you probably will be a bit erratic with them. Especially in a hitting bay where, whether you realize it or not, you are probably going after it a bit more than usual.

The i20's don't have a face that are engineered to be really hot per se. The D0 swing weight coupled with you're not being familiar with the irons probably has a lot to do with your lack of distance control. There is always going to be a bit of a breaking in period with any iron set during which time you probably will be a bit erratic with them. Especially in a hitting bay where, whether you realize it or not, you are probably going after it a bit more than usual.

Colt, you have a very good point. The i20s felt great but the balance felt different and I was probably having some tempo issues. I could readily feel the additional forgiveness and I could certainly use that! A serious ponder going on now.

Colt, you have a very good point. The i20s felt great but the balance felt different and I was probably having some tempo issues. I could readily feel the additional forgiveness and I could certainly use that! A serious ponder going on now.

If you want something more familiar you can always custom order any swing weight you want at no additional charge.

If you want something more familiar you can always custom order any swing weight you want at no additional charge.

Indeed! PING bumped mine for me, D2 instead of D0, except the wedges, I went heavier there.

After playing with the Ci11's the last few weeks and specifically hitting tons of fatties last weekend the i20's are going back in the bag. Been swinging the 6 iron a lot in the house and I just like the swing weight of the i20's better then the Ci11's.

The XF's made a very strong case for putting the i20's back in the bag.

That and $700 and I will make it rain i20's for you

Back