2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids & Irons

Some very good points by both. I would like being able to be as aggressive as I am with my driver off the tee so maybe the xstiff in 59?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Some very good points by both. I would like being able to be as aggressive as I am with my driver off the tee so maybe the xstiff in 59?

What weights are your driver/fwy wood shafts? I can't remember.

What weights are your driver/fwy wood shafts? I can't remember.

61g in my driver. 71g in my 3+ and 80g in my 4w and 5w. Lol. I had a natural progression.

I know it is tough to demo the 83g version. I can say I have had a few very aggressive swings with the 83g and haven't had a problem. When I get aggressive with clubs that are too flexible I leave them high and to the right. I haven't seen this one time.

From the Miyazaki site, the "specs" on the shafts are:
International Flex Code Bending
59g X - 8844
83g S - 3576

So the 59g is stiffer in the butt, 83g stiffer in the tip

International Flex Code Torsion
59g X - 4433, traditional torque 3.4*
83g S - 4543, traditional torque 2.9*

So these are similar with the 83g having less torque.

I guess you need to decide if you want to keep the weight progression more in line with what you have (83g S) and if you prefer Butt Stiff (59g X) or Tip Stiff (83g S).

I kinda like a tip stiff type shaft I think. Hmmmmmmmmm lots to ponder!

I personally like firm butts ;)

Lol. That made me laugh. I should have worded that better haha.

The Mashie hybrid set is complete now with the M3 added to the bag. I'm not exactly sure yet, but I may drop the M4 in favor of another long club somewhere down the road, but I don't know if it's really something I need to do for my game. At least I now have the option.

I hit goods shots from some stupid lies over the weekend. Out of giant fairway bunkers, little depressions in the 'native' grasses, etc. Also, had some nice layups that set me up to hit some par 5's in regulation. Sounds easy, but it's not always the case for me.

Big fan of this line of hybrids. If the shaft fits you, the value is really incredible.

I'm thinking about adding the M5 to my bag. Been struggling a little with my 5 iron and I hit my M4 so well. Hawk, do you see a big enough distance gap between the M4 and M5 to justify having both?

I'm fine having both in the bag and they seemed to gap as I'd hoped. I do know that I can choke down on the M3 to take some yards off if I decide I want to add another club in place of the M4 though. I'm not sure if I'll end up doing that or not.

The one gapping issue I really have right now is between the M5 and my 6 iron. It's pretty substantial some days.

I'm fine having both in the bag and they seemed to gap as I'd hoped. I do know that I can choke down on the M3 to take some yards off if I decide I want to add another club in place of the M4 though. I'm not sure if I'll end up doing that or not.

The one gapping issue I really have right now is between the M5 and my 6 iron. It's pretty substantial some days.

Thanks Hawk, so would you say it's about a 10-15 yard gap between the M4 and M5? Right now I hit my 6 iron about 175 and my M4 around 205. Unfortunately I'm only seeing about 185 max (usually closer to 180) with my 5 iron and am hoping the M5 would give me a club somewhere in the 190ish range to fill the gap better.

Have you thought about checking out the Taylormade Super Launch Hybrids? I had my Mashie and then a super Launch hybrid and they worked out pretty well as far as gaps go, the Super Launch had a similar ball flight

Thanks Hawk, so would you say it's about a 10-15 yard gap between the M4 and M5? Right now I hit my 6 iron about 175 and my M4 around 205. Unfortunately I'm only seeing about 185 max (usually closer to 180) with my 5 iron and am hoping the M5 would give me a club somewhere in the 190ish range to fill the gap better.

I see around 10 yards difference among them. The iron to hybrid gap I have is a little troubling in that it can be 15-20 yards, but the hybrids match well. I wouldn't be surprised if that m5 bridged the gap nicely for you.

Have you thought about checking out the Taylormade Super Launch Hybrids? I had my Mashie and then a super Launch hybrid and they worked out pretty well as far as gaps go, the Super Launch had a similar ball flight

They don't offer anything to fill the gap. Well unless you drop the 28* in there but then where do you remove another club?

I see around 10 yards difference among them. The iron to hybrid gap I have is a little troubling in that it can be 15-20 yards, but the hybrids match well. I wouldn't be surprised if that m5 bridged the gap nicely for you.

Thanks again Hawk. I think I'm going to give the M5 a shot and see if it works. Lately I've been choking down and hitting my M4 instead of my 5 iron. At this point I feel like my 5 iron is taking up space. I'll hit the 5 iron off the tee on par 3's if it's the right distance but that's the only time I feel confident with the 5 iron. I'll hesitate before taking it out off the fairway but I never take the 5 iron out of the bag from the rough.

They don't offer anything to fill the gap. Well unless you drop the 28* in there but then where do you remove another club?

Ah very true, Is it pretty normal for people to have a gap between the M5 and the 6 iron?

Thanks again Hawk. I think I'm going to give the M5 a shot and see if it works. Lately I've been choking down and hitting my M4 instead of my 5 iron. At this point I feel like my 5 iron is taking up space. I'll hit the 5 iron off the tee on par 3's if it's the right distance but that's the only time I feel confident with the 5 iron. I'll hesitate before taking it out off the fairway but I never take the 5 iron out of the bag from the rough.

That's exactly why I went M5 vs 5I. Over many many rounds I noticed that I very rarely hit the 5I mostly because I didn't need it or the performance just wasn't there. Conversely the M5 gets used quite often from everywhere, so I took a club I didn't use and replaced it with something that I look for chances to use.

Ah very true, Is it pretty normal for people to have a gap between the M5 and the 6 iron?

If they can hit a 5 iron well? No, haha :) personally I don't want to hit a 5 iron if I can hit a hybrid instead.

If they can hit a 5 iron well? No, haha :) personally I don't want to hit a 5 iron if I can hit a hybrid instead.

Yeah me neither I don't like to play with the longer irons sometimes I love to hit hybrids way more.

That's exactly why I went M5 vs 5I. Over many many rounds I noticed that I very rarely hit the 5I mostly because I didn't need it or the performance just wasn't there. Conversely the M5 gets used quite often from everywhere, so I took a club I didn't use and replaced it with something that I look for chances to use.

Yepper. 5 iron is an obsolete club in my bag. Not many shots I feel confident in with it. M5 gets a lot of use though.

Same here. I just don't hit it that well compared and I think that creates the gap.

There's days when I can have a big gap between the 6 and M5 but the thing I enjoy about the Mashie is I actually feel pretty good about taking some off it vs most other hybrids I've used. No clue what it is that causes that but in the past when I tried to ease off on one it would result in top city, there's a few THP'rs that can vouch for that.

No doubt. If there's any question about distance, I opt for the M5. Easier for me to take yards off with it than add them with the 6.

There's days when I can have a big gap between the 6 and M5 but the thing I enjoy about the Mashie is I actually feel pretty good about taking some off it vs most other hybrids I've used. No clue what it is that causes that but in the past when I tried to ease off on one it would result in top city, there's a few THP'rs that can vouch for that.

I have found that I can take some distance off my M4 so if there is a 15 yard gap between my 6 iron and the M5 I'm sure I can take off some distance with the M5. With my 5 iron I have a tough time adding or taking away yardage.

So after work today I picked up an M5 to go with my M4. Can't wait to get this club out on the course. I'll come back with updates about how it performed and how it's filling the gap between my M4 and 6 iron.

Good deal, Stan. I love that club. I went without the M4 yesterday and since I was playing a 5-PW set of irons and seemed to do fine. Hit the M5 especially well.

Back