Eventually, it certainly will IMO. Look at the euro tour. They have plenty of this going on.

Wait til John Dalys pants aren't of polka dots, but of sponsor dots.

This is true. If Daly could get on TV each week, he would sell out to this kind of apparel sponsoring.

Does this bother you guys? I doubt I will hardly even notice it? Furyks 5 hour energy hat is kinda funny to me, but in all honesty it doesnt really bother me

That is funny, but it works for 5 hour. Golfers hit their target market on the head. I think even though it is funny, it is a great sponsorship partnership.

It is? Seems to be the norm still for many companies to launch at the PGA Show with soft leaks through the internet prior than hit retail after the show. Callaway, TaylorMade, Nike, Cleveland, Bridgestone, and others still do it.

That really has no bearing on tour signings though. For instance TaylorMade will launch new drivers to the consumer after the PGA Show. That won't keep them from signing talent in the offseason.

More money is made on soft goods than hard goods by many. Product cycles have never really had an influence in signing one way or the other from looking at all the info we get each year on signings.

You might be right, but a conveniently timed product release at the same time that the #1 player comes to the company is pretty fine marketing, if you ask me.

But if he signs a 15 year deal, will it be remembered in 13 years? or even 3 years?

This is way bigger than any single product release.
You might be right, but a conveniently timed product release at the same time that the #1 player comes to the company is pretty fine marketing, if you ask me.

You dont think Rory could sport a hat and use current equipment until the new stuff comes out? You think Nike wouldnt find a way to pay Rory 250 mil, or Rory wouldnt accept 250mil, because new stuff doesnt come out until spring? I bet if it happens, both parties will find a way.

He said it better vvvvv

Did I word that badly or something? I'm not saying they hold off signing Rory until equipment is released...I'm saying they don't release equipment until Rory is announced.

I actually think Rory being with Nike for a while will be better than announcing him with new clubs. People start seeing him with Nike gear, then he wins with Nike, then they release the gear, boom.

He's still way bigger than any product release and I think that him being on for a few months will do just as much as him announced right at a new launch.
Did I word that badly or something? I'm not saying they hold off signing Rory until equipment is released...I'm saying they don't release equipment until Rory is announced.

I actually think Rory being with Nike for a while will be better than announcing him with new clubs. People start seeing him with Nike gear, then he wins with Nike, then they release the gear, boom.

He's still way bigger than any product release and I think that him being on for a few months will do just as much as him announced right at a new launch.

Exactly. If you announce his signing and release something new at the same time, his signing way over shadows the product. People move more needles than equipment does.

Exactly. If you announce his signing and release something new at the same time, his signing way over shadows the product. People move more needles than equipment does.

What about players playing the new equipment?

They already will be. New equipment released doesnt mean new equipment isnt being played.

Thain I am agreeing, it was just more of an add-on point. A new guy moves the needle, and a new guy playing the new equipment moves it that much more

What about players playing the new equipment?

I'm not sure I get your question... But if your talking about someone like GMac moving from Cally to Cleveland/Srixon thats not a needle mover for 95% of golf fans, I don't think at least. I bet if you polled most people who watch golf, they probably couldn't tell you who GMac played 2 years ago. My feeling is that if you announce, lets say a new line of irons, and at the same time or close too you announce that you have signed the hottest player on tour who also happens to be the No.1 Player in the World thats going to drown out any equpiment from anyone that is announced at the roughly the same time.

Im so confused. You think the players start playing the gear as it gets rolled out to consumers? Usually 3-6 months in advance would be more the norm at the current rate.

No no not at all. People were saying that golfers move the needle more than equipment in terms of sales. I said that I in fact agree with that, but that players using the equipment that the OEM is selling moves the needle even more. People want to play what the pros play, or at least it seems a lot of them do?

Im so confused. You think the players start playing the gear as it gets rolled out to consumers? Usually 3-6 months in advance would be more the norm at the current rate.

I really don't know how to say it any more clearly than what I've already said.

Yeah, for a lot of companies the norm is advance play on tour but if you have a brand new player in your stable they could debut using a new club design. Maybe that's the first announcement to the public and it gets released later.

I really don't know how to say it any more clearly than what I've already said.

Yeah, for a lot of companies the norm is advance play on tour but if you have a brand new player in your stable they could debut using a new club design. Maybe that's the first announcement to the public and it gets released later.

And I will try to be as clear as I can too. I will use an example. Do you see all those Titleist 913 drivers on tour. Titleist talking about the new design all the time, articles all over the internet about the new driver. Players debuting it over a month ago.

It is not released to the public yet.

And I will try to be as clear as I can too. I will use an example. Do you see all those Titleist 913 drivers on tour. Titleist talking about the new design all the time, articles all over the internet about the new driver. Players debuting it over a month ago.

It is not released to the public yet.

Holy crapoli! Am I the only person who can see these words in my post: "Maybe that's the first announcement to the public and it gets released later"

I had no idea a goofy conspiracy theory was so devisive!

In all seriousness, I really don't even think Rory's moving. I was just talkin'.

Meanwhile back on the forum, what does the contract with Oakley look like for Rory? Is it long term or does it end this year as well?

Holy crapoli! Am I the only person who can see these words in my post: "Maybe that's the first announcement to the public and it gets released later"

I had no idea a goofy conspiracy theory was so devisive!

In all seriousness, I really don't even think Rory's moving. I was just talkin'.

You do realize you're getting worked up over nothing in a thread about rumors. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't even matter.

I am crazy to think the "big name" Callaway are talking to is Luke Donald? The contract he signed with Mizuno in 2010, doesn't that end this year?

Luke has always said he would like to stay with Mizuno forever IIRC. He seems like a guy that wouldnt go back on his word, but money talks.
I am crazy to think the "big name" Callaway are talking to is Luke Donald? The contract he signed with Mizuno in 2010, doesn't that end this year?

You do realize you're getting worked up over nothing in a thread about rumors. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't even matter.

I wasn't worked up at all. Just couldn't understand what all the confusion was about what I said.

I quit the internet!

That would be a huge signing for sure. And something I could easily see happening. For some reason Luke and Callaway fit together in my head.

That would be a huge signing for sure. And something I could easily see happening. For some reason Luke and Callaway fit together in my head.

Luke is the iron man and Mizuno is the iron brand. I think he fits best right where he is.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

Luke is the iron man and Mizuno is the iron brand. I think he fits best right where he is.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

Unfortunately, in the world of big endorsment deals, he fits where ever the paychecks are coming from.

Luke is the iron man and Mizuno is the iron brand.

What makes them the iron brand? Fascinating and would love to hear your input on it.

Back