Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

Love the look and hype about this club...

Any ideas if there will be an 8.5 degree option for us left handers?

Well for all those who have been upset with all these new "colored" drivers, this one should make your short list for 13. It certainly is a beauty and a classic looking head.

The driver looks great. I'm interested to see if it performs as Callaway promises -- #TheLongestDriverInGolf.

Yep, I like it. The speed face has my interest.

JB, does this one feel hotter than the prior model?

No, not necessarily to me. But I can tell you when compared standard to standard (shaft) I hit this one longer than the previous model. Of course that could merely be one fitting me better and giving me better launch.

No, not necessarily to me. But I can tell you when compared standard to standard (shaft) I hit this one longer than the previous model. Of course that could merely be one fitting me better and giving me better launch.
Send it over here to me and I'll let you know if I get the same results :D

I like the look of this. The green is a bit more olive than I thought it might be. Like the sound of the Trinity shaft in there too.

This new offering from Callaway really does sound incredible. So much tech has gone into the creation of this and I can't wait to give it a go.

I was a bit surprised, but not disappointed, at the 440cc head. The stock shaft offerings are very intriguing and I love how they came straight out and said they were unaltered from the OEM.

You could really tell from the effort put into the launch of this driver that Callaway is extremely excited and pleased with the final product. Game changer? We shall see!

Did I miss this (or am I jumping the gun), but are you testing the regular flexes of these 2 shafts?

Did I miss this (or am I jumping the gun), but are you testing the regular flexes of these 2 shafts?

No, both flexes are at THP HQ. I happened to pick that one up for pictures.

No, both flexes are at THP HQ. I happened to pick that one up for pictures.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. It sure is nice to have options....

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. It sure is nice to have options....

Funny thing is, we will have options as well in the near future.

Very excited to see the different shaft options available. And really looking forward to the opportunity for the MCERS to game this beast in the MC

Last night was fun to watch as the first 3 were selected. Tonight should be another great night too. Now that we have the thread to monitor hopefully we will see more people sitting there waiting on the announcement. Feverishly hitting the refresh key. We all are in this, lets continue to show that support.

This is really intriguing. So the 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5 are 440cc, what other lofts does it come in that are 460cc?

11.5 and 13 degree heads are 460 cc heads.

To me, the look is meh. Nothing spectacular and nothing ugly. Interested to hear if it really is the longest driver in golf though.

This is where I'm at. Pretty neutral as I am with the Covert driver. Just not really grabbing me. I loved the sound and feel with last year's Fit but couldn't do anything but hit moon balls with it. Maybe the Black Tie option for this year's version would help.

This was pretty interesting to me:

Callaway Staff Professionals like Luke List have already seen tremendous distance gains during player testing with RAZR Fit Xtreme. List, who this year led all six major professional Tours in driving distance with a 324 yard average off the tee, gained 16.6 yards in total distance over his current RAZR Fit gamer by adding .6 mph ball speed and reducing his backspin by nearly 500 rpm with the RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver.

Would love to drop a chunk of RPM's of my driver.

This was pretty interesting to me:

Would love to drop a chunk of RPM's of my driver.

I'm with you. Would help me a lot.

Interesting driver here. Loved the FIT and if I could gain a little but keep the same type of dispersion I'd be sold.

Hmm, the lower backspin sounds good but I would like to know if it was apples to apples comparison. I imagine it was, but I'm forever a skeptic with numbers.

Thanks for the update JB, and I have one more request. Head to Head with the same shaft comparison sometime when you have a chance please.

Time for a little testing update. I have spent 3 range sessions with this Xtreme Driver now and 2 of the 3 hit quite a bit of golf balls. Let me start with a few thoughts on the looks of the driver. It looks outstanding. In a day when every driver is screaming at you from the minute you pull it out of the bag, this one looks as if it has pure evil written all over it. Classic in design at setup, yet extremely modern when the headcover comes off and you take a look at the sole.

When I test drivers, I go to the very end of the range and pay very close attention to the 1st 2 swings. That is when feel/sound for me is really identified and before the ears become accustom to the differing noise from what you are currently playing. I am happy to report that Callaway got it right. They have for a few drivers now pertaining to sound and I know it is something that they take careful consideration to. It has a solid "thwack" that is neither muted nor obnoxious. Deep in sound compared to the high pitch screech of others on the market and yet not artificially muted that can wreak havoc on differentiating the good from the bad. I can say it again, they got it right.

Ball Flight
Working with the two shafts, I definitely noticed a better ball flight for me with the Trinity shaft. The Black Tie was a low boring ball flight while the Trinity was mid launch that worked its way up in the air for something that I look for in launch. The Black Tie is definitely a stout offering, but the company offering two standard options should make basic fitting quite easy.

Distance
Time will tell on this one for me. I have yet to put it on the monitor, but will be in the coming week. The distance is there. The ball flies and I can without a doubt tell you that it is in no way shorter than what I have hit. Is it longer? On the range, it is too hard to measure accurately, but that will be coming soon. I hit a few where I had that moment where you stand on the range and say "where the heck did that come from" and I immediately got excited. So that part is there.

Comparison To The Past
I played the RAZR Hawk during the Morgan Cup two years ago. I thought it was one of the best sounding drivers I had played that year and enjoyed it moderately. It was too shallow for what I like in a driver. I enjoyed the RAZR Fit last year and thought it was one of the best options out there for golfers. I have now tested this and can safely say that this is my favorite of the 3 drivers over the last few years. Not only does it have that great sound/feel that I like, it seems to be a slightly deeper option than what I have played. Definitely deeper than the RAZR Hawk, and I will work on getting some comparison pictures to the Fit to see if it is indeed deeper than that as well. My assumption is that it is and could be one of the reasons I like it. My driver miss in the past has been high on the club face and the deeper clubs seem to offer a bit more forgiveness in that aspect. This seems to fit the bill. I should tell people that many teams a deeper club face can lead to lower spin models, so fitting should be at the top of your request list to make sure you are dialed in.

Performance & Forgiveness
The performance I have touched on is there. It has everything I want in a driver. The bigger questions for me is the forgiveness and I answered that pretty well out on the range. Higher on the club face seemed to soar just as hitting it on the "button". Something I have only seen from a few drivers in the past and a feature that I really like when done right. Laterally the forgiveness is untested for me. I missed one or two shots about a quarter of an inch towards the toe and the ball flight seemed fine and what was expected.

What I am seeing is a driver when hit well that has everything going for it. Thank you Callaway for not changing the shaft hosel adapter. A big plus for people like us that test clubs and a huge plus for avid golfers that like to tinker with shafts. It also makes shaft fitting that much easier. It will get some further testing this weekend and next week including on the course and launch monitor activity. For now, I can safely say that this is the best Callaway driver I have hit in quite some time.

Well, dang. I have to say that I'm liking the sounds of that a lot. I'm always higher on the face than lower. Any chance to see lateral forgiveness?

I.....want.....one......badly! Can't wait to try this bad boy out! I'm jealous P4B!!!! This needs to be in your bag asap!

Well, dang. I have to say that I'm liking the sounds of that a lot. I'm always higher on the face than lower. Any chance to see lateral forgiveness?

Skimmer?
It is in the Performance and forgiveness section.

Forgiveness on shots that are higher on the club face is something that I absolutely look for, as it is my primary miss. Also, like you said, a big atta boy to Callaway for sticking with the same tip adapter. It may not seem like much for most, but it is more a convenience factor than anything else for those that like to tinker (staring at you Jman).

Back