Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing says happy holidays better than 2,000 + rounds down range.

hahah yeah, I love shooting with my in laws, It's always a fun time

My son and I shoot our Mosin-Nagant on occasion....now that is some sore shoulder action. 7.62x54 and a hardwood stock? Oh, yeah.
Thing shoots straight as an arrow though. Fun shooting open sights at 150ft and making fist sized groups. Last time we shot the youngsters (20-somethings) next to us could barely hit the target at all with a red-dotted AR15.

that's awesome, speaking of 7.62, my brother in law is looking for an SR-25, he's a priormilitary that just got out of the sand box last month

13662SR25s.JPG

hahah yeah, I love shooting with my in laws, It's always a fun time

that's awesome, speaking of 7.62, my brother in law is looking for an SR-25, he's a priormilitary that just got out of the sand box last month

13662SR25s.JPG

What is the brand and specs for the scope on the gun in the front, Satch?

My son and I shoot our Mosin-Nagant on occasion....now that is some sore shoulder action. 7.62x54 and a hardwood stock? Oh, yeah.
Thing shoots straight as an arrow though. Fun shooting open sights at 150ft and making fist sized groups. Last time we shot the youngsters (20-somethings) next to us could barely hit the target at all with a red-dotted AR15.

Sweet gun!

Sweet gun!

Yup. And like the gentleman in the video, I use super old Russian surplus. It still shoots where you aim it. I'd love to scope it and see what it can really do at long range.
We bought ours pretty beat up for $85 and refinished it in Honey Maple.
DSC00591.jpg

Picked up one of these over the weekend.
End product will be a lefty 300blk.
SP-223-Lower-Gen2-2.jpg

Picked up one of these over the weekend.
End product will be a lefty 300blk.
SP-223-Lower-Gen2-2.jpg

Very nice, stripped lower, i have 3 stripped lowers waiting in the safe for some time in the future. I would love a SBR 300BLK suppressed for home defense.

What is the brand and specs for the scope on the gun in the front, Satch?

I'm not o sure man, that's just a picture I found lol, but if it points you in the right direction, it has a La Rue sight mount and a little red dot sight on top lol

My brother in law has military connections since he just got out so all his equipment is top notch. For example he had an ACOG with a tiny halo sight on the top on his

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Yup. And like the gentleman in the video, I use super old Russian surplus. It still shoots where you aim it. I'd love to scope it and see what it can really do at long range.
We bought ours pretty beat up for $85 and refinished it in Honey Maple.
DSC00591.jpg

I've always wondered why the bolt must be opened to a vertical position on these rifles. It seems to interfere with scope placement... do you need a mid-eye relief scope for Mosins?

That's the plan. :)

Very nice, stripped lower, i have 3 stripped lowers waiting in the safe for some time in the future. I would love a SBR 300BLK suppressed for home defense.

I've always wondered why the bolt must be opened to a vertical position on these rifles. It seems to interfere with scope placement... do you need a mid-eye relief scope for Mosins?

They make a different bolt for that.

Little mini review of the M&P shield

Well i have to say the Shield is a joy to shoot and i am very surprised at how tame, and accurate it is for a gun it's size.

First session was 100 rounds of cheap federal FMJ, no hiccups of any kind, and it shot fairly accurately for a round that i know most feel is on the bottom rung as far as practice ammo goes.

I alternated between both extended mag and flush mag and while yes you can tell a difference is handling between the two i can not for see any issues with the flat base plate mag.

After just 15-20 rounds the gun felt very natural in my hands, and the trigger is actually very crisp,with a solid reset. As of right now i don't plan to upgrade to Apex parts until after getting 500+ rounds down range and deciding then if i need it.

Sights are good, and worked well for me, but i will make the switch soon to some type of night sights either XS big dots, Trijicon HD etc...

Not that this is anything new, but S&W hit the ball out of the park on this one. Here are some pics to help explain how things went.

Target 30+ rounds at 7-8 yards, first mag had 3 fliers out to the left, but after that things went well.
shieldtarget2.jpg

25 yards all shots in the 8 ring expect one to the left. Decent shooting for first day out.
shieldtarget.jpg

She's a beauty
shield.jpg

shield2.jpg

In the Black Dog Kydex, Quality holster for 39.00 shipped.
ShieldKydex2.jpg

back view, really like the cut out at the trigger guard for great grip on the gun.
ShieldKydex.jpg

Nice dawg, the Shield has gotten quite a following; I've yet to find one to hold but have pondered this vs the PPS. Now if only IL would pass a CCW permit.....

I'm not o sure man, that's just a picture I found lol, but if it points you in the right direction, it has a La Rue sight mount and a little red dot sight on top lol

My brother in law has military connections since he just got out so all his equipment is top notch. For example he had an ACOG with a tiny halo sight on the top on his

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Thank you both. I have my eye on the Rock River ATH just haven't decided on glass yet.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=526

Golfdawg,

Nice feedback on the Shield. Have you shot the M&P compact? If so, can you comment on how much difference they have in muzzle jump?

Nice dawg, the Shield has gotten quite a following; I've yet to find one to hold but have pondered this vs the PPS. Now if only IL would pass a CCW permit.....

Shuuuuuu good luck bhilln on that one, i think old IL is going to hold out for as long as Chicago can. It's a real shame and hate if for others i know that live in the southern part of the state that have CCW states like Kentucky and Missouri so close. I am lucky for most part i can travel anywhere i like to go in the SE and not worry about too much.

Golfdawg,

Nice feedback on the Shield. Have you shot the M&P compact? If so, can you comment on how much difference they have in muzzle jump?

I have carried the M&P9c (6,000 rounds and counting) for almost two years and about 80% of the time it's my go to, i think it's one of the better compacts out there. I also have the M&P compact in 357 sig and .40 ( one gun two barrels, just switch out the barrels) as well, and carry those on occasion.

I am not sure how S&W did it, but the shield is a soft shooter, and i am not just talking about for a gun it's size and weight, i mean over all. I was smiling after first few rounds, and after 100 rounds down range, i was upset i did not bring another couple hundred more rounds.

Muzzle flip really was not noticeable for the Shield or compact, and as long as it keeps running with out any hiccups, i have to think it will join my short list of guns everyone should have. That list is short and right now has only two guns on it, a Walther PPQ, and glock 19, and i don't even own a glock but can appreciate what glock is.

Shuuuuuu good luck bhilln on that one, i think old IL is going to hold out for as long as Chicago can. It's a real shame and hate if for others i know that live in the southern part of the state that have CCW states like Kentucky and Missouri so close. I am lucky for most part i can travel anywhere i like to go in the SE and not worry about too much.

I have carried the M&P9c (6,000 rounds and counting) for almost two years and about 80% of the time it's my go to, i think it's one of the better compacts out there. I also have the M&P compact in 357 sig and .40 ( one gun two barrels, just switch out the barrels) as well, and carry those on occasion.

I am not sure how S&W did it, but the shield is a soft shooter, and i am not just talking about for a gun it's size and weight, i mean over all. I was smiling after first few rounds, and after 100 rounds down range, i was upset i did not bring another couple hundred more rounds.

Muzzle flip really was not noticeable for the Shield or compact, and as long as it keeps running with out any hiccups, i have to think it will join my short list of guns everyone should have. That list is short and right now has only two guns on it, a Walther PPQ, and glock 19, and i don't even own a glock but can appreciate what glock is.

Thanks for the info. Solid stuff. I have the M&P full size in 9mm and love that gun. Looking for a smaller version and can't decide between the Shield or Compact. Is the compact a double stack and Shield single? This gun will be for concealment.

Thank you both. I have my eye on the Rock River ATH just haven't decided on glass yet.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=526

Golfdawg,

my buddy has a Rock River Arms AR, he loves it, and it's accurate as can be. He had a gas block and some magpul flip up sights installed, and bought an aimpoint, it's so much fun to shoot

Thanks for the info. Solid stuff. I have the M&P full size in 9mm and love that gun. Looking for a smaller version and can't decide between the Shield or Compact. Is the compact a double stack and Shield single? This gun will be for concealment.

big differences are these in 9mm.

Compact 23.0 OZ, 12+1 double stack, 3.5 inch barrel, 1.2 inches wide
Shield 19.0, 7+1 or 8+1 staggered mag (not a true single stack, but slightly double), 3.1 inch barrel, .98 inch wide

The compact i can hide pretty well, but the shield disappears from what little time i have with it, Shield can be pocket carried in some deep cargo shorts and using flush fit mag. If you don;t plan on buying both a compact and a shield, i would go with the shield as it can be conceal easier and when summer comes around it will be carried 100% of the time for me.

big differences are these in 9mm.

Compact 23.0 OZ, 12+1 double stack, 3.5 inch barrel, 1.2 inches wide
Shield 19.0, 7+1 or 8+1 staggered mag (not a true single stack, but slightly double), 3.1 inch barrel, .98 inch wide

The compact i can hide pretty well, but the shield disappears from what little time i have with it, Shield can be pocket carried in some deep cargo shorts and using flush fit mag. If you don;t plan on buying both a compact and a shield, i would go with the shield as it can be conceal easier and when summer comes around it will be carried 100% of the time for me.

hmmm....the Shield is officially on the ponder list. To be able to get 7+1/8+1 and be a 1" wide sounds excellent. Thanks again for the info/feedback.

I think I'm going to have fun and pick up one of the S&W Sports (AR15). Looks to be the bang for my buck since I don't expect to shooting all the time or using it for HD.

I think I'm going to have fun and pick up one of the S&W Sports (AR15). Looks to be the bang for my buck since I don't expect to shooting all the time or using it for HD.

they are actually quite enjoyable to shoot, and cheap!

Could someone please explain to me in layman's terms how MOA works?
I can't understand how angles in a circle works out to accuracy....

Could someone please explain to me in layman's terms how MOA works?
I can't understand how angles in a circle works out to accuracy....

Sure thing Rat; The term MOA is used in two way's but means the same thing if that makes sence.... probably not.

MOA used in terms of accuracy is describing the ability of a firearm / shooter to put a group of rounds in that circle at 100 yards. So, a 1MOA rifle can put every round in a 1 inch circle. Of course there are many other factors that go into that (shooter ability, rounds, weather conditions, etc), so why I say ability to do so. Most good rifles are 1MOA or less meaning they are able to consistently put every round within a 1 inch circle at the target 100 yards. That being said, most all firearms can shoot much better than most shooters in the world, so when rifles state MOA accuracy, take it for what it's worth... rifle at rest or in a vice for optimal accuracy.

When talking about adjustments from target to sights, think of MOA as a clock. 60 make a full circle. Think of a difference between your sightline, target and path of the bullet. Those three points will make a triangle so you can calulate where you need to aim to get your first round on target. 1 inch (1.047" to be exact) at 100 yards is 1 MOA, 2 inches at 200 yards etc. Bullets don't move on a straight line and a shooter compensates for the arc of the bullet by calculating the MOA of his target based on the distance (and other factors as well). Knowing the distance to target and the flight path of your bullet will help you calculate the MOA adjustments needed for your optics in order to get your first round on target.

Hopefully that makes sense, at least at 4am... if not shoot me a PM and can get in much more detail for calculations etc.

bhillin great and simple way to explain MOA, and you are right in this day and time most firearms are more accurate than the user. I have a buddy, who does not get excited about shooting unless he is at 500+ yards and ringing 8 inch steel plates. Me i try to be the best i can be at 100 yards and in.

I have a buddy, who does not get excited about shooting unless he is at 500+ yards and ringing 8 inch steel plates. Me i try to be the best i can be at 100 yards and in.
Well, it IS best to start taking out zombies further away. They're slow moving, so being able to take out groups of them at 500 yards is better than waiting until they're coming in the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back