Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeeeh... Ac130s aka puff the magic dragon generally only flight at night... And I'm not trusting the navy guys on subs, they are all a little special. Lol :)

HAHAHAHAAH touche all very true, so navy is out, but when fighting the undead who's use of anti aircraft would i assume be non-existent day time raids by puff would be common place. Although that thermal imagery would be pointless vs the undead, time to rethink my battle plan.

Sorry to hear that! j/k. As a Mizzou grad I feel it is my duty to get in a KS jab every once in a while. lol
We should get together in the spring. Guns, golf, etc. hard to beat that.

Wait a second! If we are talking guns and golf in Mizzou in the spring, lets just throw in some turkey hunting in the mornings and count me in!

Wait a second! If we are talking guns and golf in Mizzou in the spring, lets just throw in some turkey hunting in the mornings and count me in!

I'm all about that... Can call turkeys while I'm in the woods looking for my ball. :)

HAHAHAHAAH touche all very true, so navy is out, but when fighting the undead who's use of anti aircraft would i assume be non-existent day time raids by puff would be common place. Although that thermal imagery would be pointless vs the undead, time to rethink my battle plan.

No AA? Pretty sure the US has been burned a few times saying that in years past.... Haha

No AA? Pretty sure the US has been burned a few times saying that in years past.... Haha

A Phalanx would be good against the undead, but I dunno about a Patriot battery...

haha all the talk of undead, guns etc..... be interesting to know who here had made some contingency plans for if/when SHTF and you are on your own for week, month maybe even year without rule of law.

I don;t want to thread jack this, so we can keep guns in the talk, but add anything else you think is vital to have around.

haha all the talk of undead, guns etc..... be interesting to know who here had made some contingency plans for if/when SHTF and you are on your own for week, month maybe even year without rule of law.

I don;t want to thread jack this, so we can keep guns in the talk, but add anything else you think is vital to have around.

A whack load of Hornady Z-Max ammo since that stuff is obviously designed for zombies..........

I'm all about that... Can call turkeys while I'm in the woods looking for my ball. :)

Alrighty. Sounds like we need an unofficial "Mid MO golf, hunting, and blowing stuff up" get together! lol. Maybe we can get Hornaday or Federal Ammo to sponsor it. haha

Alrighty. Sounds like we need an unofficial "Mid MO golf, hunting, and blowing stuff up" get together! lol. Maybe we can get Hornaday or Federal Ammo to sponsor it. haha

I'd settle for Bass Pro being a sponser. After all, a good pair of snake boots and a machete might come in handy considering the places my errant shots wind up.

Anyone seen the video of the 71 year old man who shot the robbers at the internet cafe?

Thoughts on his actions?

Anyone seen the video of the 71 year old man who shot the robbers at the internet cafe?

Thoughts on his actions?

Could you link this video, there have been several videos up lately of those carrying concealed using their firearm. I think i know the one you are speaking of and if it is the same one i am pretty sure it was a good shoot. I hope i never have to use my side arm to it's fullest extent but i have already had to draw it once in the few years i have been carrying and i am thankful i had it.

Could you link this video, there have been several videos up lately of those carrying concealed using their firearm. I think i know the one you are speaking of and if it is the same one i am pretty sure it was a good shoot. I hope i never have to use my side arm to it's fullest extent but i have already had to draw it once in the few years i have been carrying and i am thankful i had it.

Here you go dawg: http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-ma...-internet-cafe/story?id=16800859#.UMIfI7vbWbM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/florida-customer-shoots-suspects-during-internet-cafe-robbery/

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4020052892030

Some might argue that each time he shot at the robbers, they were facing him. Which if you look closely could be accurate. The first time he fired the robber looks to have had his back turned but he did turn around. Even when the man shot out the door, the robber was looking back at him.

However, I think you have to be careful when you carry. While this situation worked out with no one losing their lives, what happens if the robber turns it into a gun fight instead of running (the robber claimed the gun wasn't loaded). That can lead you to say, if he hadn't pulled out his gun, maybe you avoid any confrontation, the robbers take some money, and everyone is fine. Or, maybe you don't do anything and the the robber opens fire on innocent people.

But, part of me feels like chasing after them might have been a little risky from a legal perspective. I'm not saying he has to retreat, but to chase after them and even shoot at them out the door seems like it might be excessive. I'm not sure what the right answer is, but just discussing this because I think I am leaning towards concealed carry at times, but you have to understand the laws. You can't just open fire on people and think that you might not get yourself in serious trouble that way. If someone breaks in your home in broad daylight and you shoot an unarmed person, you might have to explain yourself. It's a very gray area to me.

I agree with everything Mr. Williams did, up until the point that the criminals looked to have exited the café and he takes at least one more shot. In the sum of everything though he handled himself as well as I think most anyone can, and hope I could do the same if I was in that situation.

On your question about escalation, right vs. wrong, there is no absolute answer. When those two men walked into that café with malicious intentions they became the aggressors, and the criminals. Even without the gun they posed a imminent threat of death or bodily harm because they came in armed with a weapon, a metal bat from what I could tell. Takes one swing to crush a person’s skull in, break a arm, leg etc….

Making the choice to carry a cancelled gun comes with it what I know is one of the largest responsibilities we as a civilian can have in society. We are blessed to live in a country where for the most part that choice is ours to make and expound upon. You are right in that Mr. Williams was wrong with the last part in the act of defending himself and others where he advanced after the threat had retreated from the best we can tell.

You stated “ You can't just open fire on people and think that you might not get yourself in serious trouble that way. “ One thing I’d like to address in how you worded that sentence that I think some view in a negative way, to “open fire” on “people” usually carries a negative connotation and lends to thinking of a Rambo type action. He presented his fire arm, took aim, and shot the guy who had a gun that had threatened innocents with the intent to at the very least rob them. Like most I have spoken to that have been involved in a gun fight either as a LEO, Military or Civilian, 95% of them all stated after the first shot most is a blur.

I think if one chooses to carry, then it’s their responsibility to press their own skill set as far as they can. Your performance and handling of the situation is guaranteed to fall back to the level of your training. I was lucky in that I reverted back to the very basic of the training I pursued when I was involved in a incident that caused me to make the choice to pull my weapon.

Last thing is and this is more of a soap box moment here, is the way news organizations approach the news involving guns. Below is a snippet from the ABC story that I added in parentheses how I think it should have been worded.

“Officials said it is unlikely that Williams will be charged with a crime for attacking(defending himself and others from) the teens because the shooting seemed(was) justifiable.”

I agree with everything Mr. Williams did, up until the point that the criminals looked to have exited the café and he takes at least one more shot. In the sum of everything though he handled himself as well as I think most anyone can, and hope I could do the same if I was in that situation.

On your question about escalation, right vs. wrong, there is no absolute answer. When those two men walked into that café with malicious intentions they became the aggressors, and the criminals. Even without the gun they posed a imminent threat of death or bodily harm because they came in armed with a weapon, a metal bat from what I could tell. Takes one swing to crush a person’s skull in, break a arm, leg etc….

Making the choice to carry a cancelled gun comes with it what I know is one of the largest responsibilities we as a civilian can have in society. We are blessed to live in a country where for the most part that choice is ours to make and expound upon. You are right in that Mr. Williams was wrong with the last part in the act of defending himself and others where he advanced after the threat had retreated from the best we can tell.

You stated “ You can't just open fire on people and think that you might not get yourself in serious trouble that way. “ One thing I’d like to address in how you worded that sentence that I think some view in a negative way, to “open fire” on “people” usually carries a negative connotation and lends to thinking of a Rambo type action. He presented his fire arm, took aim, and shot the guy who had a gun that had threatened innocents with the intent to at the very least rob them. Like most I have spoken to that have been involved in a gun fight either as a LEO, Military or Civilian, 95% of them all stated after the first shot most is a blur.

I think if one chooses to carry, then it’s their responsibility to press their own skill set as far as they can. Your performance and handling of the situation is guaranteed to fall back to the level of your training. I was lucky in that I reverted back to the very basic of the training I pursued when I was involved in a incident that caused me to make the choice to pull my weapon.

Last thing is and this is more of a soap box moment here, is the way news organizations approach the news involving guns. Below is a snippet from the ABC story that I added in parentheses how I think it should have been worded.

“Officials said it is unlikely that Williams will be charged with a crime for attacking(defending himself and others from) the teens because the shooting seemed(was) justifiable.”

All valid points Dawg. I would say I agree with you. And good point that I could have worded that sentence differently. I think ultimately it comes down to training as you have stated and thinking about what you would do in certain situations. I guess the point I was trying to make with the sentence I may have poorly worded was that there are times where using your weapon is not justified. Carriers need to know when it's warranted and when it isn't.

No i understood, and agree with you 100%, everyone who make the choice to carry needs to know what is protected under the laws of where they are at that time. I know what i can and can't do in the states of NC,VA,SC,WV,Ky,Tn,Ga,Fl and i look into all laws and even those that are being brought to the state government to be voted on in my state and all surrounding states.

I enjoy visiting Ga,Va, and Tn for the simple fact of restaurant carry, and the fact i don't have to unholster my CCW and lock it away.

No i understood, and agree with you 100%, everyone who make the choice to carry needs to know what is protected under the laws of where they are at that time. I know what i can and can't do in the states of NC,VA,SC,WV,Ky,Tn,Ga,Fl and i look into all laws and even those that are being brought to the state government to be voted on in my state and all surrounding states.

I enjoy visiting Ga,Va, and Tn for the simple fact of restaurant carry, and the fact i don't have to unholster my CCW and lock it away.

Do you have a particular CCW you favor? I like the Ruger LC9 but don't own one yet.

Do you have a particular CCW you favor? I like the Ruger LC9 but don't own one yet.

LC9 fits a nice niche, well made, reliable and fairly accurate , but i did HATE the trigger, but that is me, some like it. If that is the size you are going for, LC9, Kahr CM9/PM9, or the M&P Shield all fall in that category. I have shot all of them and the Shield is a clear leader, i also carry and M&P 9mm compact, and now that it's cold and i can put on a few more layers i carry a Walther PPQ.

If you go back to page 46 on this tread i posted a mini review of the Shield and some pics.

Last edited:
LC9 fits a nice niche, well made, reliable and fairly accurate , but i did HATE the trigger, but that is me, some like it. If that is the size you are going for, LC9, Kahr CM9/PM9, or the M&P Shield all fall in that category. I have shot all of them and the Shield is a clear leader, i also carry and M&P 9mm compact, and now that it's cold and i can put on a few more layers i carry a Walther PPQ.

If you go back to page 46 on this tread i posted a mini review of the Shield and some pics.

Thanks Dawg! I also like the LC9 because it's fairly affordable. Going to check out page 46.

Code:
for a ccw check out the springfield xds. I love mine!

Carrying a fire arm comes with great responsibility, you must be able to use it and more importantly willing to use it. The odds are you will never have to, but if that time arises can you pull that trigger?

I have never pulled mine and hope I never do although I have been in a few situations that I was very uncomfortable and was close to doing so, if thing would have escalated any more.

For those who carry or are thinking about it I highly suggest shooting in friendly competitions such as IDPA (international defense pistol association). It is one thing to shoot a target at the range and it's another thing to do it under pressure of time, shot quality, multiple targets, moving and from cover. IDPA shoots are fairly cheap besides the 100-150rds of ammo and they are a good time if you go with a friend. The scenarios they use are based on actual events and common situations you my find yourself in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back