How quickly do you bounce back?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
You're humming along with a few pars in a row and maybe a birdie, then it happens. Bad swing and you're OB in in the hazard. You end up with a double and a blemish on a good round.

How does this effect you? Is this the beginning of the end? Or do you focus more and try to get those two shots back? If you bare down and try to get those strokes back, is it over the rest of the round or the next hole?

I tend to let it go and regain my round by finishing strong. I always set a new goal to regain what I have lost.

I'm with you Freddie, I'm trying to stop the bleeding ASAP. Not by trying a miracle shot to recoup that dropped stroke but by putting that bad swing out of my mind and moving forward. I've found when I press and try to make it up, that's when things start snowballing.

I try to get back already with the next shot, but it usually takes more time...during the next hole I usually get my stuff together.

I can say I try much more nowadays to put it behind me and move on, compared to how I used to be. While its not necessarily the next hole where the bounce back occurs, its typically a few good shots here and there throughout the rest of the round (typically making a long putt or 2) that help get those strokes back.

Unfortunately, I have lots of practice with doubles or worse. So it isn't hard fore to get over them. I just laugh it off or focus as beat I can on the next tee shot. The GPS is good for that. It makes me focus on the current hole. Also, having a dedicated preshot routine focuses me on what is next. Making me momentarily forget about what was.

Personally,I'm not worrying about being a few strokes off my game by an OB or lost ball but just slow it down and try to keep a good rythym going on my future shots so I'm making good contact. I can get it back within a few strokes as long as I get that consistant pace in my swing.

It depends how I'm swinging before the double. If I'm just getting by with a so-so swing, I know I'm in trouble for the rest of the round. I just try to take one shot at a time. I usually continue to have a bad day.

However, if I'm swinging well before the bad hole. I just try to keep swinging the way I was before the double.

Last edited:
If there are a couple if bad hikes in a row I've often had a harder time bouncing back.

I am currently trying to work on the mental side as well to where i just accept a bad shot for what it is and move on to the next one.

My past two rounds, I hit a patch of holes where I couldnt get off the tee to save my life. It happened mid round, and lasted for about 5 or 6 holes. Both rounds, I was able to hold it together and prevent anything higher than a bogey. My goal after a bad shot is to prevent the big number. Being able to stay focused like that has helped me quite a bit in my rounds over the past month, as the driver and I havent been seeing eye to eye.

Just depends on the day for me. Sometimes I just don't have it.

I'm far more likely to struggle if I stumble right off the bat. That's a reason why I started to hate my home course. The first three holes could put me in a hole that left me deflated early in my round. It was hard to bounce back from that.

Usually the next shot. Honestly though, I haven't hit a ball ob in forever. I'm on a pretty good run lately with my mindset change from the tee, and it has lead to some pretty decent scores as of late.

Usually the next shot. Honestly though, I haven't hit a ball ob in forever. I'm on a pretty good run lately with my mindset change from the tee, and it has lead to some pretty decent scores as of late.

Hopefully some of that awesomeness will rub off on the rest of Team Albatross! OB eats me alive

Hopefully some of that awesomeness will rub off on the rest of Team Albatross! OB eats me alive

Dude, play a round of golf where you sincerely feel that a ball ob will put your kid in the hospital. People just bang driver and try and force the benefits out of it. Ob doesn't eat you alive, you eat it, and subsequently get its diarrhetic returns on your scorecard.

OB IS A CHOICE! :)

I like that mentality.

I do too. If there is any chance, at all, or any doubt of being in a decent position, take a shorter club. You always have a choice. Aside from making the worst swing in a long time, or something crazy happening.

This will be my strategy in MB for the Morgan cup and I'm not going to hit a ball OB all week if I can help it.

Most of the time, I recover quickly. I hate doubles, but they happen. One won't totally ruin a round for me. If the keep coming, then it becomes harder to stay focused though.

My so called "bounce back" is very strange. No ryme or reason to it at all. I dont really have one. I just have complete blow-up holes that can all be together or also can be every other one. Its feast or famine when i play and in any order possible.

speaking as a higher capper, I can shoot a double, 2 triples, and a 4th for a quad all in a row and then par the next 5 along with a bird for the 6th., yet I can also do it like this - par, double, par, triple, bogey, birdie, quad, par, where as its all mixed up inbetween each other.

Basically my blow-ups and recovery from them doesnt follow any pattern at all. I get frustrated but it doesnt really play a role in how, when my next good shots and hole/s will pop up. Its very strange.

I've actually done both with somewhat similar results most times. I know now that I'm way ahead to just blow it off and shoot for par on the next hole, but as competitive as I am, letting myself down with from reaching that "Miracle" low round can be pretty disheartening. I've never even came close to an under par round, but had a round with a couple buddies this year where I shot par on seven straight holes. In my mind I was extremely happy with that, but thinking how cool it would be to birdie one of the next two, but one of my playing partners made a comment about not blowing my great run. I'm not sure if I pressed too much or what he said got in my head, but I fanned the next driver left into impossible trouble for bogey. Number 9 was a long dogleg par 4 and I did push on that hole in an attempt to birdie and get back to even, bad move for a double, haha.

From there I fell apart on the back nine and shot like 84 or something.

I normally dont just have 1 bad shot! For me, if I have a bad tee shoot, I let it get to me and I then have a bad 2nd shot and it continues. Honestlt it takes me about a hole or maybe half another to get it right. I try to think about what I did wrong and fix it and then I end up doing something else wrong.

I do my best to move on from a bad shot and can save bogey and not destroy my round.

Last few rounds though, I have had some bad holes early on and subconsciously give up on the round and really trying to score well and start hitting shots without proper focus, etc.

I need to use the Thainer mentality!!

I have been getting alot better at this over the past year. I used to let little errors really upset me and it would carry on for 3-6 holes. I have gotten it down to contain in mostly in one hole and I am working to bring that down to just the one shot. Just let it go :D

I really don't have a set pattern, some days it is a hiccup and some days a full blown discombobulation. I never know, guess I need to work on my mental game more.

I have accepted there are days I just hurt too much and have to take what comes. I had a terrible start to my round yesterday (1st 3 holes) but settled down. On a "normal" day, I just take a deep breath, walk away for a second SLOW DOWN and start over. On a "normal day", it works for me..

:drinks:

You're humming along with a few pars in a row and maybe a birdie, then it happens. Bad swing and you're OB in in the hazard. You end up with a double and a blemish on a good round.

How does this effect you? Is this the beginning of the end? Or do you focus more and try to get those two shots back? If you bare down and try to get those strokes back, is it over the rest of the round or the next hole?

I tend to let it go and regain my round by finishing strong. I always set a new goal to regain what I have lost.

It's part of the game - accept it and move on. When that double turns into an 8 or a 9, then I may get a bit steamed, but usually one ripped drive will relieve the pressure. :golf2:

I tend to let it go on the walk from the green to the next tee. Dont want that feeling on the next tee.

Back