How quickly do you bounce back?

My playing partner always comments how I bounce back quickly. I typically find myself really dialed in after a poor hole. Unfortunately I'm still inconsistent enough that I might have another poor hole in the same round.

When this happens to me, I try to take a minute and gather myself. Then I think to myself how it's just one hole and I can get that stroke back. Sometimes it blows up in my face tho. I try to hard to get that stroke back and it gets worse. But if I keep my head and still play my game I usually may not get the stroke back but I get back on my game for a few holes. :act-up:

If i screw up one hole, chances are i'll just shake it off and do my best to kick the next few holes' asses, but if im in a bad mood, which is easy for me to be in if im playing with certain people, than it would probably be more worth my time to pack up and head to the bus stop.

I bounce back by the next shot. You cant hold onto the last shot because that one is done and over with. You need to focus on the present.

One bad swing or one bad hole used to bother me a lot.
In my old age, I have learned to let that go and play the next shot.
Short term memory can be a very good thing sometimes.

My way of recovery is I have a few swing thoughts that I know lead to a good swing. When I make a poor swing, I always try to recreate practice swings afterward that mimic these swing thoughts and make a good swing the next time a step up to a shot.

I try to knuckle down and focus on the next hole. Golf is a mental game things on get worse when your trying to force it. Smile walk to the next tee and remember there is always next time

HaHa....I have been playing golf before and phoned my fiance after 3 straight bad holes talking about I cannot play anymore I am done......3 holes later I am callling her back saying how much I love golf and I think that shows my attitude....I let the bad get in a way for a whole or two before I shake it off.....but the second phone call back to her comes from after a nice whole and bouncing back! I don't do this all the time if your thinking that but I have , on the normal though I get down on myself for 15 minutes or mad with the way I approached something but let it all air out while walking to my next shot! That's one of my favorite reasons to walk it gives me some extra time to cool off and not just scatter up to my bad shot on a cart and swat another bad shot!

I have played enough to know that I'm going to hit a bad shot and I'm still going to play a lot more holes so it doesn't bother me. If I hit two or three in a row well a beer and another hole then it's out of my system.

Seems like short term or lack of short term memory assists a few in this thread. That's good for staying grounded during a round. Managing your expectations and game seem to be very much in play as well.

I used to be a real hothead on the course, but age and experience have calmed me down a lot. Along with the realization that I am never going to be a scratch golfer, so stop acting like it.

Now when I hit a bad shot I try to play to whatever my strengths that day are. No hero shots, take my medicine and try to play a shot to where I can execute a good shot.

My strengths (most days) are playing pitch and runs and putting, so laying up after a bad shot to where I can take advantage of that is usually my goal. Of course, there are those days where I have nothing out there, and the ability to laugh at yourself is a serious advantage on a day iike that.

Yeah, I look at golf now more as a Journey.

I try to enjoy each shot as they come. My key is: I do not start a round with any unneccessary expectations.. I try my best and I always try to cover my bets, but I do not put any pressure on myself. If I make a double on the first hole, I believe I will most certainly play better the rest of the round. I've made doubles before, I've also made plenty of pars and birdies.

I tend to have pretty dramatic swing from stroke to stroke so I never really know if I'm bouncing back or just got lucky.

past giedz would've slammed his club into the ground & would've had a few choice words. present day giedz more or less laughs it off, except if it's a competitive match. if it is then I think about how I can immediately make up for the lost stroke on the next (few) hole(s)

I've been known to be a hot head on the course. I've got a scar on my right leg from snapping a 2-iron over my knee. I've been working on the mental portion of my game and it helped me a lot this year. I always tell myself before the round that I'm not going to get mad. I'm just gonna focus on the next shot. That's easier said than done. When you see your tee shot roll into the water and you're staring double bogey in the face, it's hard to not let that frustration set in. The most important thing is to not let bad shots ruin your round and more importantly, your attitude.

I mostly play games where score doesn't mean much. So a bad hole just means that I can't get a skin or a hole depending on the game. I also play modified Stableford games and we don't do negatives for bad holes. I just look at the remaining holes as new opportunities. I coached varsity high school golf for 11 years and my last words to my players was "One shot at a time". I try as much as possible to follow that advice in my own play.

I was bogey golfing today, mixing in a par double, then the back nine I bounced back well right after a horrific drive and saved par. Then went a a streak of four pars then double, double, 4 over to finish with a 93. So to answer the question it really depends on how I feel and how bad my ball striking is that day! Some days just a miss hit can mess me up in the head others like today I come right back with a great scramble to save par then s**t the bed on the last three holes.

Played a rough round in wet, cold conditions today. However, I'm happy to report that I didn't let my bad shots affect me. I generally hit a good after a bad. Just too many bad today.

I don't bounce back well, but I'm working on it.

Its gone its over its in the past as soon as I hit it. If I get angry, I get over it by the time I grab another ball. Now its time to hit the next shot - routine, pick target, quiet mind, hit the ball, accept the result of the shot and go play the next shot.

I have done it enough times to know that trying to force a score "I should be able to birdie this hole to get it back" is a recipe for disaster on the score card. I start thinking about too many things to focus well and have a quiet mind for the next shot.

Back