Goals for the 2013 season

improve par 5 scoring:
I'm generally solid at making pars on par 5's because you can away with a bad tee shot or a bad second. However for the amount of pars I make (which I am not complaining about), I rarely make birdies. Gotta work on changing that.

Improve par 3 GIR's, improve par 3's in general:
When I look at my scorecards, especially late in the year, how I played the par 3's was the biggest weakness of my game. Like clockwork work I'd be E or +1 on the par 5's, +2, +3-ish on the par 4's, and +4 or worse on the par 3's. So it's really my main focuse of improvement this year. Hit more par 3's in regulation to start with and work from there

*Hit more greens in regulation
*Make more 15-20 foot putts
*win a Senior Club Championship

Shoot more round in the low 80's
get more consistent with my swing/tempo
stop jerking the club back

My goals are:

- Get a new set of Irons. (I still use the old Taylormade Burner Steele which is i think about 12-13 years old)
- Learn a new swing (stay more on plane)
- Get better at "Sand" play
- Stay consistant and confident
- Break into the 70's. I'm averaging between 80-86 so I know its possible.
- Get rid of those "blow-up" holes
- Practice, Practice, Practice!!!! I was once a range junkie so I might have to go back to that.

Aloha!

I have to say that I love this thread partly because I am from a non-golfing family and everyone looks at me funny when I talk about how I want to improve my golf game. For me, 2013 is a big year. I am hoping to do the following:

1. Continue to get into better shape. Started in 2012 and already 52 lbs lighter. Combined with core training, I have already added 10-12 yards distance with all of my clubs.

2. Start to shoot in the 70s. 2 years ago it was shooting in the 80's and now that I am consistently there, time to take the next step.

3. Play in my first competitive golfing. Joining the AM Tour around Western New York and going to see what I can do. Might finish in last, doesn't matter. Just want to say I have done it.

4. Improve on my putting - I don't think I am alone on this one.

5. Join Hacker's Paradise

Since I just joined THP in early 2013, I think I am off to a great start!!

Become a more consistent ball striker.

Develop confidence in scoring clubs

Flat stick wizard!

I started working on a complete overhaul of my swing last year but never finished. This year my goal is to get my swing to a thoughtless repetitive motion, and get rid of my biggest problem...the fat shots. If I do these 2 things my third and final goal should be easy, and that is to consistently score in the low to mid 80's. I had several rounds in the 80's this year, but the dreaded blow up holes kept me from being consistently low.

I'm going to break 90 this year.. I was close a few times last year. I think I got as close as 92.

My goals this year is to average 75 or lower and to win 2 tournaments on the Golfweek AM Tour. My first year on that tour last year I got my feet wet. I'm hoping to contend this year. Working on my diet since November and will start working on the swing very soon.

I'm hoping to get my scores consistently into the mid-80s or lower. I had my moments this year (shot a 79, an 80, and a few in the mid-80s) but had way too many get away from me and get up into the high 90s as well. So consistency is the thing for me this year.

Break 80.
Get confidence in short game.

I have said in the past that 2013 is a big year for me. I used to play a lot and got down to an 11 handicap on a tough course.
Recent years have seen me scarcely play and when I do, I play off 18 and score 20-25 points.
I have had enough of that and am determined to get down to 12-14 handicap this year.
I revamped the bag (new driver, Hybrid3, new irons, new putter), have started lessons. Am playing as often as I can.
Last 2 rounds of last year were +13 and +15. First one this year was +14.
Looking at all 3 rounds there were far too many duffed chips/pitches and 3 putts. I know I can break 80 and think I can do it soon.

I made the biggest gains of my 35 yrs in golf last year after a couple of lessons and significant short game practice. This years goals are too numerous and contain too much minutia to mention.

However, one thing I intend to do differently this year in striving to achieve them is to have a definite and detailed practice plan and take detailed notes with ruthless self assessment. I am currently able to practice quite a bit more than I can play a full 18 (or even 9) until at least September so I will endeavor to make the most of that time.

I am going to be taking some lessons in the hopes of breaking into the 90's and actually being able to call myself a golfer

Break 80.
Get confidence in short game.

I have said in the past that 2013 is a big year for me. I used to play a lot and got down to an 11 handicap on a tough course.
Recent years have seen me scarcely play and when I do, I play off 18 and score 20-25 points.
I have had enough of that and am determined to get down to 12-14 handicap this year.
I revamped the bag (new driver, Hybrid3, new irons, new putter), have started lessons. Am playing as often as I can.
Last 2 rounds of last year were +13 and +15. First one this year was +14.
Looking at all 3 rounds there were far too many duffed chips/pitches and 3 putts. I know I can break 80 and think I can do it soon.
OK, next target!
Having posted that I got in the car, drove to course, and shot a 79!!! Dropped 4 shots in the last 2 holes too!
Consistent striking, hit 12 out of 14 FIR (7 with Hybrid 3 and 5 with driver - missed one of each).
Hit 2 of 4 GIR on par 3 but only a total of 6 GIR in the round (being harsh on myself as 4 of the ones i missed were within 3 foot of the green)!
One birdie, when I struck the tee shot I thought it was a hole in one, straight at flag, landed 10 foot short, skipped on one bounce straight at hole but then bit and stopped dead! Still I rolled in the putt dead centre.

No 3 putts in the round!! And only 1 very poor chip.

Both the last two holes I hit decent approach shots but both times I caught the tree that overhangs the greens and both times the ball bounced away from green, behnd trees leaving me no shot.

Shame to finsih like that but great to get the score. It is the first time I have broken 80 since 1981 on the Bobby Jones Course in Sarasota.

Even when i was down to an 11/12 handicap it was due to consistency rather than any great rounds.

My goal for 2013 is to get my GIR % up and to get my putts closer to 30 a round. And drop my hc to 7 by MC time! If I work hard I can do it. I'm only asking for about the same improvement as last year. I know getting under 10 is harder than getting under 15 but I'm gonna work my arse off.

1) Get healthy

2) Improve mental game

3) Improve consistency

:drinks:

My goals are to continue to improve my consistency and confidence, playing from bunkers and to shoot par.

This is "the rest of my life" goal: I stated (posted) here, on one of the threads; that I would take accuracy over big distance any day. Here now, I correct that to: I want accuracy, period. I have just begun to take the first steps on that path. By accepting the knowledge of the greatest striker of the golf ball, Moe Norman. From listening & watching video of Moe's simplicity of his swing path, grip, stance, lateral move, etc. I'm positive in achieving the accuracy I want. It will be different from what I've learned and I am confident in reaching this goal of mine. I know that I won't achieve the swing of Moe Norman's style, that's not what I want. I want the swing of daabiistyle.

Be more consistent. Putt better.

Single diget handicap

I have re-evaluated my goals after my GolfTec lesson.

1) 60% GIR....considering I am maybe 20% now that's a big jump
2) Make at least 3 THP events this year....other than the Morgan Cup
3) Add 10 yards of distance to my drives
4) Become a single digit handicap
5) Win the Morgan Cup
6) World Peace

To move away from the 'casual golfer' label I have and get a low teens handicap this year. Become more consistent with my long game and try to eradicate the one bad shot that often ruins a hole. Get the number of blow up holes down to 1 or 2 maximum. Try to start sinking those birdie putts like I do the par ones! Course management, course managment and course management!!

My golfing goals for 2013.

My golfing goals for 2013.

In one of my other threads I have started taking lessons for the first time ever. I got to thinking that it might help if I were to set some reachable goals and maybe a couple that I can't for one season. This is the first year I have really gotten the golfing bug so it is time to make some strides for the better.

Reachable goals.
1. I want to have more consistent iron shots both in distance and accuracy.
2. I want to break 100 for the first time in my golfing life.
3. Enter and compete in one of my home clubs scramble tourneys knowing that I am not 100% dependent on my playing partners scoring.
4. Improve my putting.
5. Have a round with no more than 2 puts per hole.
6. Have at least 1 birdie in a round.

Non Reachable goals at this time.
1. To break 90
2. Have at least 4 birdies in one round. (Considering I don't ever remember having one.)
3. Hit at least 25% GIR's in a round.

I will try to keep this thread updated on my progress through out the year on my gains and losses. I see this as a work in progress that will be constant effort but also fun and enjoyable. So far just to let you know where I am starting from, my best score to date has been a 105 but that was a fluke, my normal scores are in the area of 110 to 115.

Back