NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping the Canucks can pull it out this year. Cody Hodgson would sure look good in the blue and green again with Kesler out. I'm sure if Luongo gets moved that a top 6 center will be a part of the deal coming back.

I can't imagine they'll get all that much for him. Why would any team pay that much now when they can just wait for him to get bought up this off-season?

I'd bet at best, they end up with prospects or picks for him, maybe a depth player on a decent contract (possibly one that is expiring).

Leafs need Franson as they they are a little thin on the blue line.

What will be interesting is to see how many injuries come back from the players that have been abroad. And to see how many guys are not ready to play at the highest level.

Are they?

Don't get me wrong, I like their top 4. But from a depth perspective, Jake Gardiner is going to miss some time. If I am the Leafs I don't think I would give up too much for a guy who is a notoriously slow starter in a shortand season.

I can't imagine they'll get all that much for him. Why would any team pay that much now when they can just wait for him to get bought up this off-season?

I'd bet at best, they end up with prospects or picks for him, maybe a depth player on a decent contract (possibly one that is expiring).

I think a good number of people in the league still think that Luongo is an elite goaltender and are willing to trade for him. Heck, Burkies job could depend on it. With Luongo in the lineup the Leafs are probably a playoff team, and every loss the Leafs suffer early in the season is just going to add pressure.

EDIT: That said, I really DO NOT WANT Kadri. Bozak and Kadri were the rumors that I heard anyways.

I don't think Gillis buys out Luongo after this year if he is still a Canuck. He will buy out Ballard and probably Booth but will not buy out Lou IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like their top 4. But from a depth perspective, Jake Gardiner is going to miss some time. If I am the Leafs I don't think I would give up too much for a guy who is a notoriously slow starter in a shortand season.

Think goaltending is weaker at this point though. I agree on your thoughts though

I think a good number of people in the league still think that Luongo is an elite goaltender and are willing to trade for him. Heck, Burkies job could depend on it. With Luongo in the lineup the Leafs are probably a playoff team, and every loss the Leafs suffer early in the season is just going to add pressure.

EDIT: That said, I really DO NOT WANT Kadri. Bozak and Kadri were the rumors that I heard anyways.

I don't think Gillis buys out Luongo after this year if he is still a Canuck. He will buy out Ballard and probably Booth but will not buy out Lou IMO.

hah, i totally get what you're saying, I just find it funny that Luongo is brutal in the playoffs yet would make a team a 'playoff team' hahaha!

I just think it's nuts to deal assets for a guy who could be available at a reasonable salary in a matter of 7 months.

Luongo would infinitely improve Toronto in net. He's put up above average numbers for a decade (no small feat...) and he is a legit #1. Toronto hasn't had that since CuJo.

All the negativity regarding Luongo turns into "his teams won in spite of him", which frankly is nonsense. He's a very good goalie. Toronto can worry about his playoff performances when they get there. Besides, if you want a true, playoff tested #1, your cupboard is gonna be so barren that you can forget about making the playoffs.

Great thoughts Pete. Luongo is a proven bonafide #1 goalie. He's consistent in his ways and wins games. That's more than Torontos had in a while. He can get them to top 8, from there it's up to the rest. He's a guy that can make big plays and steal games. Toronto needs that now more than ever.

TTing

Totally agree with the last two posts. All a team has to do in the NHL is make the playoffs and that's really all that matters from there, you just play your best and see where it takes you. Luongo could get a lot of average teams into the playoffs and if that doesn't make him valuable I don't know what does.

As much as it pains me (though 5 final appearances in 17 seasons soothe that), playoff success has so much to do with luck and essentially catching lightning in a bottle. That is the reality of the salary cap era. By and large, success is determined how much your depth guys can overachieve. This isn't the 80s or 90s when you could keep a team like the '11 Blackhawks or '10 Penguins together for a decade.

That being said...keeping that middle-class, those quality depth forwards will be easier with the coming CBA.

So only rumors, but possible that Kovy doesn't return to NJ?

Leafs need Franson as they they are a little thin on the blue line.

If their success pins on Franson, they're in trouble. Don't get me wrong, I like Franson and was sorry we lost him, but he's got some major holes in his defensive game to improve before he becomes an elite defender.

So only rumors, but possible that Kovy doesn't return to NJ?

I'm calling bullcrap on that. Just news outlets looking to fill time between now and ratification.

I'm calling bullcrap on that. Just news outlets looking to fill time between now and ratification.

I don't believe it, but fun to play with rumors and get dev worked up.

The luongo to leafs rumor is picking up quite a bit of steam lately.

TTing

I hope it happens. Is love to see the Bruins light him up a few games every year. Between that and Kessel it makes for a good time

I don't believe it, but fun to play with rumors and get dev worked up.

Haha!
Kovy's got 86 million left on his contract. Why walk away from that? :act-up:

Friends, family, 100 million?

TTing

Unless something ridonk happens...he'll earn 75-ish million dollars under this CBA. Guaranteed (sort of, but you know how this works). Can he do better than that in the KHL, where contracts aren't guaranteed? Probably, but it's a much greater risk.

kovalchuk says, 'i will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next. So there... #njdevils

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back