TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

My weekend plans:

Friday - Bandon Preserve
Saturday - Bandon Dunes (possible afternoon round at Pacific Dunes)
Sunday - Pacific Dunes (possible afternoon round at Old MacDonald)
Monday - Old MacDonald

I probably won't be posting over the weekend but I'll have a bunch of stuff to report starting early next week.

Have a great weekend planned there buddy!! Hope you hit em well and have a blast! Take plenty of pictures for those of us on the other side of the country.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Well my irons already got delayed! They won't be here until Friday which means Friday late afternoon, which means no golf :(

The rest of the forecast after Friday is low 30s

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Can someone with the Rocketfuel shafts in regular do me a favor? Can you weigh your 7 iron and see what you get. I am doing a comparison and just wanted to know. I got 14.4.

My scale is super sensitive so it was pretty hard to get a set reading, but it was mostly just about 14 1/2 to 14 5/8.

My scale is super sensitive so it was pretty hard to get a set reading, but it was mostly just about 14 1/2 to 14 5/8.

Thanks! I just got my irons in yesterday and am doing a thorough check to make sure they are real. From every test I have done...it appears they are real as can be :) I got them for $540 on ebay so I was skeptical but everything checks out.

Thanks! I just got my irons in yesterday and am doing a thorough check to make sure they are real. From every test I have done...it appears they are real as can be :) I got them for $540 on ebay so I was skeptical but everything checks out.

There should be a serial number on the taped on sticker to one of the irons' shafts. Try registering the clubs with that number and/or calling TM and having them confirm with that number.

There should be a serial number on the taped on sticker to one of the irons' shafts. Try registering the clubs with that number and/or calling TM and having them confirm with that number.

I thought I read on the TM website that just because you have a serial number, it does not guarantee that your clubs are real

These look great. I'm curious why the pros on Tour would need a "distance" iron though.

These look great. I'm curious why the pros on Tour would need a "distance" iron though.

Dustin Johnson hit his Rocketbladez Tour 6 Iron yesterday 243 yards (slightly downhill) on his 2nd shot into a Par 5. The ball landed softly about 10 yards short of the hole and releases just past the hole.

Dustin Johnson hit his Rocketbladez Tour 6 Iron yesterday 243 yards (slightly downhill) on his 2nd shot into a Par 5. The ball landed softly about 10 yards short of the hole and releases just past the hole.
So much for the thought that these irons would add distance.

A perfect reminder that it isn't just the distance with these clubs, it is also about the way the trajectory of the ball - especially off longer irons - creates new opportunities for how we can play the game.

Yeah hang on through - little bit misleading here. Massive tail wind (gusting around 20-25mph) and it was downhill as well.

I watched quite a bit of the golf from the Hyundi Tournament of Champions on Sky Sports and the vast majority of players were driving some of the greens. Downhill 360 yard 6th I think it was (not totally sure on that one), but the vast majority of them were 15-20 yards short of the green or on it.

Some insane wind in the first few days through - I watched Poulter hang a 7 iron out about 50 yards right of the green just to make sure he hit the short stuff.

Kid in a candy store

Kid in a candy store

I joined THP literally just to join this thread :) I'm not sure how much I'd be able to elaborate over the amazing job that everyone has done here, but I'll reply once I get to the range. I got 3i-SW with the Rocketfuel shafts stiff. I feel like this right about now :blob:

Also I read all 126 pages of this thread in four days. I need more work or more golf, one or the other.

It won't let me attach any photos though :( too new I guess.

I joined THP literally just to join this thread :) I'm not sure how much I'd be able to elaborate over the amazing job that everyone has done here, but I'll reply once I get to the range. I got 3i-SW with the Rocketfuel shafts stiff. I feel like this right about now :blob:

Also I read all 126 pages of this thread in four days. I need more work or more golf, one or the other.

Welcome aboard, looking forward to your Rbladez feedback.

My weekend plans:

Friday - Bandon Preserve
Saturday - Bandon Dunes (possible afternoon round at Pacific Dunes)
Sunday - Pacific Dunes (possible afternoon round at Old MacDonald)
Monday - Old MacDonald

I probably won't be posting over the weekend but I'll have a bunch of stuff to report starting early next week.
That looks like a good weekend of testing right there! Look forward to hearing your thoughts after all those rounds. Have you thought about maybe doing 1 set of 9 holes irons only? That's always fun to do.

So, I got the chance to hit the Rocketbladez again today, and man did I MISS THEM!!! It has been far too long!!

I took them to my lesson to learn how to work better with them and learn more about my general swing/miss and how to make it better (I know, that's the point of the lessons right!?).

I started by warming up with the 8 iron and then hit some shots with the 4i to get a nice long swing going and get loose. My instructor is at GolfTown and was excited because I was the first lesson he has had with someone playing the Rbldz. We did A LOT of "L-3" type drills (as Martin on school of golf calls them) hitting half shots to fix them problem I've developed of hitting from the outside. We were using the 8i and I noticed a very distinct "thwack" with them when hit truly flush (even at low speed). It is difficult to describe and I will see if I can isolate it from the video he is sending of the lesson. I bring this up because there has been so much talk of the slotted iron sound being different (and it certainly is) that I didn't even notice the difference in sound with the non-slotted irons until I was in the controlled environment of a very quiet store. I grabbed the Burner 2.0 8i off the shelf just to make sure I'm not crazy (jury still out on that) but there is definitely a distinct difference that the pro noticed as well.

I can't speak to the turf interaction today because I was on the mat, but my dispersion at the end of my session with the 8i was within 5yds left or right of center which is fine by me! Even on the simulator the height was impressive. I have never had a high ball flight, but these irons seem to produce that even from me!

I'm excited to get back out this weekend and will have much more to report!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Great stuff, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new clubs! I look forward to reading your thoughts after getting to the range.

What part of The City do you live in? Where do you like to play?

That looks like a good weekend of testing right there! Look forward to hearing your thoughts after all those rounds. Have you thought about maybe doing 1 set of 9 holes irons only? That's always fun to do.
Thanks. It is a weekend of competitive golf so I need to try to play, not just test. Aside from normal stuff I have been thinking about focusing on turf interaction (links golf ... lots of very tight lies, sand and different types of rough than we're accustomed to in the states), playability in the wind and rain, etc. One of the courses is a part 3 course so that naturally lends itself to iron testing, too.

@ TUT - great report! That is some crazy dispersion, love it.

Great stuff, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new clubs! I look forward to reading your thoughts after getting to the range.

What part of The City do you live in? Where do you like to play?

I live up in pac heights. From orange county but moved to the city for work back in August.
Haven't been able to play since about a year and a half ago due to a broken foot and some ligament tears but just got cleared to start up again about a month back. Going to play the presidio this weekend, then a course in Alameda next week. Have to get back in golf shape since I got invited to play at the Olympic club where my buddy's dad is a member.

Will post my thoughts as soon as I get out there!

I live up in pac heights. From orange county but moved to the city for work back in August.
Haven't been able to play since about a year and a half ago due to a broken foot and some ligament tears but just got cleared to start up again about a month back. Going to play the presidio this weekend, then a course in Alameda next week. Have to get back in golf shape since I got invited to play at the Olympic club where my buddy's dad is a member.

Will post my thoughts as soon as I get out there!
I grew up in OC - Whittier/La Habra area. I went to Cal and played at Tilden a bunch years ago. My best friend lives in SoMo and is a member at Claremont CC, very short but fun McKenzie designed course in the East Bay. I've been trying to work connections to get on at Olympic but it hasn't happened ... and probably won't, unfortunately. Anyways, welcome back to the game, glad the foot has recovered enough to allow it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on these clubs.

Has anyone encountered the 3M slot filling goo taking any damage from sand, rocks, dirt etc - the general wear and tear of the life of a golf club?

Has anyone encountered the 3M slot filling goo taking any damage from sand, rocks, dirt etc - the general wear and tear of the life of a golf club?
No, but I haven't spent much time in those conditions either. The polymer fill on mine is holding up well so far. My SW shows micro-type abrasions on the sole, however.

The 3M slot is recessed enough to escape damage, and shallow enough not to collect dirt. No issues thus far.

Whilst we are on the subject of "the slot" and debris etc, I thought the following would be of use to all of us who now own RocketBladez.

I cam across a thread on another forum, which was a bit disturbing and I am very much hoping this is a one off and the guy has just been unlucky and got a defective club.

The source of the problem seems to be the chrome on the bottom of the club which in this case seems to have started to peel from around the slot area - see image below.

rbladezco_zps3ed213ea.jpg

Fingers crossed, as noted above I hope this is just a one off defect, but would suggest that all of us that own RBladez keep our eyes peeled (no pun intended) for damage to the sole of the club.

I have no doubt that TMAG would sort any issues very promptly, but I would personally rather not have the issue in the first place.

I think that is a one off type deal with the Chrome coming off.

Back