2013 Bridgestone e5 Golf Ball Forum Testing Thread

It will spin more. Especially side to side. If you are having control issues, this might not be the best ball to help mitigate a slice.

I don't think it will be as bad as you're making it out to be. Hawk swings fast enough where core spin dictates direction more so than cover spin. It should play very similar to the e6 with probably 5 or 6 yards more dispersion at your SS hawk.

TTing

I think I'm going to play this ball in the Morgan cup potentially.

TTing

It will spin more. Especially side to side. If you are having control issues, this might not be the best ball to help mitigate a slice.

I don't think it will be as bad as you're making it out to be. Hawk swings fast enough where core spin dictates direction more so than cover spin. It should play very similar to the e6 with probably 5 or 6 yards more dispersion at your SS hawk.

TTing

I played the Z-Star without a lot of control issues off the tee, so I'm not terrible worried about that, though I'll definitely be looking at side spin when I get them both on a monitor. I'm almost thinking a little extra back spin could help me at this point too, but who knows. My main issues with urethane balls are usually cost related. When I go cheaper, I just gravitate towards the e6 because it's always treated me well. The difference in wedge spin was huge though.

Hawk I think you'll be fine. In going to compare it to the ProV1 on the monitor. I'm hoping to see less driver spin and about the same short iron spin

Only one way to find out for sure.

Holy smokes, I honestly have to say what this ball did yesterday was very impressive with my irons. Stuck to the greens like glue even with my 6 iron approach and the greens where fast. Unfortunately, my driver may just have a few too many misses for me too game this ball right now. It is hard to learn new clubs and a new ball at the same time. Absolutely loving this ball for my iron and short game play. It may be mental but I can't hit my driver with these right now with certain consistency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I managed another hour of chips and short pitches today and really had a hard time distinguishing between the e5 and the ProV1. I am not getting the hop and stop that I like but not getting it with either ball so it must be me and/or the lies.

I am beginning to think I could play this as my regular ball. I will have to hit more (well struck) full shots with various wedges to be certain.

The only problem I will have at the end is comparing the 3 offerings to decide on my gamer.

I may not be able to get out to test this again until later in the week but I was thinking about how this ball would perform in much warmer weather. I have really only played it in the 60's but I think if it was in the 80's or warmer and the course conditions were better I would be getting much better spin with this ball. I already am seeing real good spin/control with it in the current weather. I hope I still have some around come March/April when it starts to warm up around here consistently. I think I would also probably gain some distance too!!! My hats off to all of the testers so far!!! Some great info and thoughts!!!

Great work so far guys.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this weekend and everyone will have a chance to play err, test some more.

I hope so I need it to dry out. It has rained all day here

Great work so far guys.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this weekend and everyone will have a chance to play err, test some more.

Supposed to be 66* and sunny here tomorrow afternoon. Looks promising right now.

bridgestone makes some quality balls nowadays

Some great feedback from the other testers so far!

I'll be back at it tomorrow after a long week for 18 holes and hopefully some extra short game testing. Really hope I can hit it well with the Classic to get some solid distance comparisons in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am testing these balls. I went out on the 20th and played my first round with them. I decided not to use them off of the tee, but every other shot from then on. WOW! On the box says more carry, better green side spin. Well I had two chip ins from 30+ feet. Both times i chipped with my Scratch 56*, and the ball bounced once, checked and then rolled into the hole. I noticed that these had better green-side spin than ProV1. I will continue to post after every round.

I was unable to get to the course today, our granddaughter came for a visit and I was not about to miss the opportunity to see her.

Back out tomorrow for another round of testing. I think I will do comparison drops with e6. I never had too much trouble getting the e6 to stop, so we will see.

J.

I went out with these today and played 18 with them. I definitely saw a lot of things that I liked in the performance!

Are they going to be in yellow????? I really like yellow balls.:act-up:

Are they going to be in yellow????? I really like yellow balls.:act-up:

I am with you on this one!!! It seems like a great ball so far and would definitely consider this ball as my everyday gamer if they made it in yellow. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to come out with a yellow one since they already make a urethane yellow ball(B330RX).

I don't think the plan is for a yellow E5

Round 2 Testing

Round 2 Testing

Got out to the course to test for a second round. The goal today was to do some side by side comparisons with the e6. I planned to drop where I could, time permitting. Started off well enough. Again, there was no appreciable difference for me between the e6 and the e5. Most of the time when I hit a shot with the 5 and dropped a 6 to compare, they were about the same for me. Most of the time they were full shots.

The increased spin REALLY shined for me today. Shots around the green were really checking. Even those slightly thin skidders checked awesomely! On full shots, I got no zip back, but then again I never do. Knowing than this ball will stop is very comforting though. I am REALLY liking this ball off the putter too. Nice click and a really true roll.

Mashies are still gone for the most part (see my previous post) but I did manage to get a few good swings on them. As expected, the e5 lands soft on a well struck Mashie shot, maybe a 3 - 6 bounce and stop.

None of the weird "heavy" sounding or feeling was there for me this round, but I am really struggling with this ball off the tee. Full disclosure, I still feel like I may be trying too hard with the driver. Towards the end of the round, I was able to relax my shoulders and grip enough to make good natural contact without steering the ball. These were the best drives of the day and approached the appearance of more distance than typical for me. We were supposed to be in the low sixties, but it stayed overcast and I don't think it got past 55 for more than thirty minutes or so. The course is still winter soft, so I STILL can't offer the distance evaluation I want to give yet.

Believe me boys and girls, if this thing will give me the feeling I want when the temps climb a little, it WILL be my gamer. Everything is pointing towards a super performer. Durability is there too. If somebody can tell me exactly what I should be seeing from a two piece ball I would appreciate it. Is it supposed to come off the driver with less spin? If so, how do we explain the increased spin on approaches and around the green. I didn't notice any appreciable increase in side spin over the e6, so maybe my swing is getting a little more pure.

The e6 was in my local GS, and it was all I could do not to pick some up. I really want to give this e5 the full treatment and get as much feedback as possible out to everyone. Buying another ball will only confuse the issue for me. I will play these until they are gone and report every time I play a round. Tanks again to Bridgestone and THP for the opportunity to test these. If any of the e5,6 or 7 testers, or anyone else for that matter, have a question let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

J.

Bridgestone 2013 e5 Golf Ball- Off the Tee

Bridgestone 2013 e5 Golf Ball- Off the Tee

I was able to get out to the course yesterday for some ball testing in the form of an 18 hole round. I will focus this write up on performance off the tee. I had a good day yesterday, hitting 9/14 fairways and 9/18 greens. I saw some things out of the e5 that really impressed me in the long game from this ball.

First off, this ball performs quite well off the tee for me compared to other urethane-covered ball. While many balls like that spin a lot which can lead to some exaggerated misses, I have found that these do a pretty good job of staying on a decent line on mishits. I didn’t lose a single ball off the tee yesterday and that is not for a lack of bad swings. I love this part of the e5 as it allows me to have a urethane cover but still not worry about bad misses off the tee. Another thing I noticed about this ball on tee shots is that it gives me a pretty low flight. Definitely lower than a lot of urethane balls I have played and significantly lower than the previous version of the e5. I found that very interesting and I would think that it is attributed to the same thing as being more accurate than most urethane balls—lower spin. I also thought it was interesting because I had originally thought that this had more spin off the tee than the original e5, though that didn’t appear to be the case yesterday.

In terms of distance, this ball is really not terribly long for me. It is a bit shorter than the older e5 and one of the shorter ones that I have hit in general. It is not shorter by a whole lot, though being a few yards shorter on average is not something that I love. The feel of these off the tee is a harsh one in my early testing. It just feels hard off the face of the driver and while that is no deal-breaker for its performance, it is slightly annoying. It makes the sound a bit harsher as well, though it is not something I can’t deal with. Given how this ball performs for me off the tee otherwise, I would say that it is somewhere in the middle of golf balls I have tried in terms of tee performance.

I had a pretty good day in general with the e5 overall, though off the tee is where I paid the most attention to its performance and I think it is a pretty good ball off the tee. It is definitely on the upper-level of balls with a urethane cover for me. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will respond as quickly and as thoroughly as possible.

Ok, I recieved mine yesterday! I recieved the new 2013 E5.
First thing I noticed was the box, It's a loud green! Not my kind of thing
but I could care less about the box.

I'm excited to test this ball out head to head with my current topflight gamer.
The new E5 has a dual dimple design and is supposed to provide more greenside spin and more carry distance.

We shall see.

Back