2013 Bridgestone e5 Golf Ball Forum Testing Thread

Got in some good LM time today, driver only. Will post the write up tomorrow night, the results were shocking!

THPing on Tapatalk

Nice writeups guys. Now I'm wishing Bridgestone had multipacks with E5's, E6's and E7's all in one box. That would be the perfect Scramble pack. Now I'll have to go out and buy a box of each.

Nice writeups guys. Now I'm wishing Bridgestone had multipacks with E5's, E6's and E7's all in one box. That would be the perfect Scramble pack. Now I'll have to go out and buy a box of each.

That would be a great idea. I have never tried the e7

Yesterday I spent a while on the launch monitor testing the new e5 side by side with other balls known for different qualities. In order, I hit:

NEW e5
2011 and 2009 e5
Tour B330
2013 ProV1
Velocity
RBZu
Top Flite XL3000

The VectorX launch monitor my shop has really only works for drivers, so that's all I used this time around. I only kept track of carry distance, launch angle, and spin because I feel those are the most important numbers when testing a ball. The rest would be attributed to primarily the swing, but also the club.

The new e5 was the best overall performer for me off the tee. Taking the average of ten good shots, my average carry was 267 yards with a launch angle of 13.8* and 2733 RPM spin. It may not feel as great as a tour premium ball, but it sure does get the job done better than them for me. I don't really trust launch monitors for side spin, but according to the LM this one had the most of it for me. I take that with a grain of salt until I can see a real ball flight.

For comparison, the other balls flew:

2011 e5 262 yds
2009 e5 254 yds
Tour B330 264 yds
2013 ProV1 263 yds
Velocity 266 yds
RBZu 258 yds
Top Flite XL3000 247 yds

Brief notes on the other balls:

The e5 showed steady improvement as model year moved up. That's definitely a good thing and it shows Bstone is improving their product fast.

For 3 yards, the e5 doesn't win over the B330 in my book. Feel and short game performance still give the edge to a tour premium in my opinion.

The new ProV1 feels and performs exactly the same as the last one for me.

The Velocity is long and straight, but has no feel or spin to it.

Disappointed by the RBZu. Just didn't feel good or go far.

Good ole Top Flite :)

Distance and Control is what the e5 is promoted as by Bridgestone. The distance aspect is certainly there, and time will tell if the control is there for me as well. For its price bracket, nothing comes close in my opinion. Along with the other two great e series options, they are the best mid price ball on the market. The urethane cover gives it a spin advantage topped only by premium balls, and the distance is awesome.

Great write up. I plan on getting on the monitor with driver 7i & GW this weekend

Good stuff Jack. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the dispersion once you get it outside.

Good stuff Jack. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the dispersion once you get it outside.

I have hit it outside, 5 drives only though, but didn't compare it to anything. Since that was the first time I'd hit anything in 2 weeks, I don't put much stock into the dispersion (it was about a 10 yard fade each time). As soon as I can compare it to other balls (tomorrow if it rains overnight to kill the last of the snow, if not then Wednesday) I'll have some thoughts on it.

Here is a link to my first writeup for those who missed it. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...sting-Thread&p=1923931&viewfull=1#post1923931

I have been out twice with the e-5 since my last big write up. First time was with Ole Gray, KellyBo and MaryC last week for a round of golf. Did not have my A game (or B game really) but I did manage to hit some very good shots with the e5. My tempo was much too quick, I guess I was just excited to be playing golf with my friends. When I did manage to get the swing calmed down I was hitting the ball fairly long and straight or with a slight draw, the e5 really performed well in the huge wind we had that day.

I was able to get the ball to check up on pitches and also was able to let it roll out when needed for the most part. The greens were really fast, but again for the most part I had no trouble with ball speed. I would give the e5 an A on its performance and me a C+ on mine.

Today I decided would be a good day to simply compare the driving distance of the e5 vs the B330-RX and the 2011 e6. The results were somewhat surprising as I have been playing the RX the past 4 years, having been fitted live a few times and online multiple times. The numbers are for 7 drives with the longest and shortest of each ball removed from the pool. The RX was the shortest by 8 yards, the e5 was in the middle and the e6 was 3 yards longer. I had really expected the RX and e5 to be much closer in total distance, more like the e5 & e6 really. Of course I plan to do this little experiment a couple of more times to expand the data pool and see if this early result holds true. The e6 was the "softest' feeling off of the driver and the e5 actually felt "hard. The RX simply felt right.

Today I also noticed something very unusual about the sound/feel off of my SeeMore mFPG2 putter. The loudest ball sound by far is the e5, the quietest was the e6 and the RX was closer to the e6 sound than the e5. As far as feel the e5 and RX seem to feel very close with a familiar firmness as I use the RX almost all of my rounds. The e6 actually felt “softer” but inexplicably consistently rolled farther than either of the other two, making it a little harder for me to judge speed on my putts.

The e5 continues to perform solidly and it may just be the ticket to move me away from the RX and into the e series balls, time will tell.

I really enjoyed this write up JF16, thanks! That included several balls I want to compare.

Thanks a ton to THP and Bridgestone for the opportunity to test these balls!! Most recently I have been playing the Wilson Staff Duo, so that will be the main point of comparison for me. I have been able to play several full rounds with the balls and have noticed some major differences. The first and biggest difference for me was feel. The Duo is a very soft feeling ball almost to the point of barely feeling it all when struck cleanly. The e5 has a much harder feel to it. It is not at all a bad feeling, just different. The first hole i played with the e5 i was really intrigued with the feel. At the exact moment of impact i got a firm feel, and then as the ball was leaving my club face it had a soft touch. It is kind of hard to explain since i have never really felt both firm and soft almost at the same time.
Off the tee i was consistently losing at least 10-15 yards with the e5 compared to the Duo. With the Duo my trajectory is pretty consistent at a mid to mid-high, and the e5 produced more of a mid to mid low ball flight. Where the e5 really shined for me was approach shots. Many, if not all of my approach shots sat down very quickly. I normally don't play much spin but the e5 produced the perfect amount for me. On short pitches and chips i really didn't really care for the feel of the e5. It had a hard feel to it. I prefer a soft feel for my short game and the e5 just didn't produce anything close to what the Duo does.
On the subject of durability the e5 is looking like it has an edge. I'm planning on diving into this issue more in depth between the two balls and posting on it later with pics included. So, these are my initial thoughts on the e5 and i'm definitely looking forward to gathering more information. If anyone has any questions, fire away and ill do my best to answer.

JF16 - those numbers you presented were pretty awesome and thanks for taking the time to compare the new e5 to all those other pills! I hope to do something similar soon to compare my numbers.

Going to head out in a few and compare the e5 to the W/S Fifty Elite.

I was selected as a tester as well and have been very pleased with these balls. I've only had the opportunity to hit them on two occasions, but I've liked both the feel and performance.

My Details: 11.8 Handicap, Low Ball Flight, Carry Distances: Driver: 230-245, 4 Hybrid: 205, 9 Iron: 150,
35 Years Old, 5'8 height, stiff shaft flex on all clubs, currently play RX-330

First Testing
Full Round, 52* temps, 15+ MPH winds, dry course conditions
I wasn't hitting the ball worth a darn, coming off a 10 day sinus infection followed by a 5 day run of influenza. It was also my first round in about 6 weeks.

Driver:
Had trouble with my swing, but when I hit it flush, it really flew well. I'm naturally a very low ball hitter, having grown up playing on the Great Plains of Southern Oklahoma and North Texas. However, this ball launched very well and I found it to have a boring trajectory. It seemed to reach it's apex later than my current ball and had nice runout after landing.

Fairway Metals\Hybrids:
I liked the feel off of these clubs, but I didn't find that I was able to move the ball left or right with this ball as well as my current ball. Other than that, I didn't find much difference between the e5 and my current ball as it relates to distance.

Irons:
Again, I very much liked the feel but wasn't able to move the ball as well as the RX-330. The sound was pleasant off my irons and the ball flight was pretty good, although I did have a couple of shots balloon when I hit them into the wind.

Wedges:
Feel was good, but these ran out a little further than I was accustomed to with my current ball. After some adjustments, I got them down pretty well, however. While not the best ball out ther for "fly it close and stop it" shots, these are excellent for bump and run style shots and have a good "click" sound on well struck shots.

Putter:
Very comparable to the RX 330 here. Nice sound, nice feel off the clubface and rolled very true.

Second Testing

56*, slight wind, chipping\putting area at my local driving range
I had a round and range session under my belt on this instance. I focused primarily on 25 yards and in.

Pitch Shots:
Felt good off the clubface, and had a nice sound, but as mentioned above, it rolled out after landing further than my current ball. Even when opening up the clubface significantly, I just couldn't get it to stop quickly.

Chip Shots:
The additional run-out came in handy here. I really like these for "chips" or "bump-and-run" style shots.

Putter:
Very good feel and sound. I found these to roll very true and think the two strongest suits for this ball are off the driver and putter.

OVERALL

I think this is a very, very good feeling ball and particularly appealing at the price point offered. It is best off the driver and putter, but for a person seeking a little extra distance with their irons and hybrids, I think the additional run-out would give them extra distance without sacrificing accuracy. Probably a great ball for the "bogey" golfer and a nice, inexpensive ball for casual rounds of lower handicap players.

Great job with the reviews everyone. Durability seems to be on par with the previous Bridgestone offerings?

That is one thing I forgot to put in my write up...a very durable ball.

I was selected as a tester as well and have been very pleased with these balls. I've only had the opportunity to hit them on two occasions, but I've liked both the feel and performance.

My Details: 11.8 Handicap, Low Ball Flight, Carry Distances: Driver: 230-245, 4 Hybrid: 205, 9 Iron: 150,

First Testing
I wasn't hitting the ball worth a darn, coming off a 10 day sinus infection followed by a 5 day run of influenza. It was also my first round in about 6 weeks.

Driver:
Had trouble with my swing, but when I hit it flush, it really flew well. I'm naturally a very low ball hitter, having grown up playing on the Great Plains of Southern Oklahoma and North Texas. However, this ball launched very well and I found it to have a boring trajectory. It seemed to reach it's apex later than my current ball and had nice runout after landing.

Fairway Metals\Hybrids:
I liked the feel off of these clubs, but I didn't find that I was able to move the ball left or right with this ball as well as my current ball. Other than that, I didn't find much difference between the e5 and my current ball as it relates to distance.

Irons:
Again, I very much liked the feel but wasn't able to move the ball as well as the RX-330. The sound was pleasant off my irons and the ball flight was pretty good, although I did have a couple of shots balloon when I hit them into the wind.

Wedges:
Feel was good, but these ran out a little further than I was accustomed to with my current ball. After some adjustments, I got them down pretty well, however. While not the best ball out ther for "fly it close and stop it" shots, these are excellent for bump and run style shots and have a good "click" sound on well struck shots.

Putter:
Very comparable to the RX 330 here. Nice sound, nice feel off the clubface and rolled very true.

Second Testing

I had a round and range session under my belt on this instance. I focused primarily on 25 yards and in.

Pitch Shots:
Felt good off the clubface, and had a nice sound, but as mentioned above, it rolled out after landing further than my current ball. Even when opening up the clubface significantly, I just couldn't get it to stop quickly.

Chip Shots:
The additional run-out came in handy here. I really like these for "chips" or "bump-and-run" style shots.

Putter:
Very good feel and sound. I found these to roll very true and think the two strongest suits for this ball are off the driver and putter.

OVERALL

I think this is a very, very good feeling ball and particularly appealing at the price point offered. It is best off the driver and putter, but for a person seeking a little extra distance with their irons and hybrids, I think the additional run-out would give them extra distance without sacrificing accuracy. Probably a great ball for the "bogey" golfer and a nice, inexpensive ball for casual rounds of lower handicap players.

Great write up man

Went out today and did a head to head comparison between the Bridgestone e5 and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite. When I got to the course it was crowded, very crowded, so I was not able to do any video which I had planned to do. I was able to again do a head to head comparison with the driver, today I hit driver on 9 holes and as yesterday I removed the longest and shortest drive by each ball. The e5 was almost 9 yards longer than the W/S ball although most of that difference could be attributed to one hole where I mishit the W/S and bombed the e5, 50 yard difference on that one hole. Ball flight for both balls was a nice mid/high flight and I found the e5 to be slightly easier to work right to left than the W/S. I did not hit any cut shots today with either. The W/S is a very soft feeling ball off of the driver, not unpleasant at all but I would say it is even softer than the e6 feels. I will try to hit each of those side by side sometime soon just to see it that is true.

Iron shots with each were usually about the same, but when one was more than a few yards longer than the other the W/S was the longer one. Again they feel different as the e5 is a harder feel than I would expect with a urethane ball.

Putter was an area when the difference in the balls is most noticeable; the W/S again has the much softer feel and surprisingly would roll longer than the e5 which was a problem on a few of the longer putts as it made the second putt much more challenging than I would have liked. The e5 was much more predictable off of the putter for me.

Actually both of these balls held up really well today and either would be good for another round, no noticeable scuff on either altough I did not hit a lot of wedges today which may have been a factor. The weather was beautiful and the temperature was 74* when I left the course, it was nice playing in short sleeves and shorts. I am enjoying the e5 a lot and really wish Bridgestone would consider making them available in optic yellow.

Here is a link to my last review which will link all of myprevious reviews.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?39900-2013-Bridgestone-e5-Golf-Ball-Forum-Testing-Thread&p=1935624#post1935624

Went out today and did a head to head comparison between the Bridgestone e5 and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite. When I got to the course it was crowded, very crowded, so I was not able to do any video which I had planned to do. I was able to again do a head to head comparison with the driver, today I hit driver on 9 holes and as yesterday I removed the longest and shortest drive by each ball. The e5 was almost 9 yards longer than the W/S ball although most of that difference could be attributed to one hole where I mishit the W/S and bombed the e5, 50 yard difference on that one hole. Ball flight for both balls was a nice mid/high flight and I found the e5 to be slightly easier to work right to left than the W/S. I did not hit any cut shots today with either. The W/S is a very soft feeling ball off of the driver, not unpleasant at all but I would say it is even softer than the e6 feels. I will try to hit each of those side by side sometime soon just to see it that is true.

Iron shots with each were usually about the same, but when one was more than a few yards longer than the other the W/S was the longer one. Again they feel different as the e5 is a harder feel than I would expect with a urethane ball.

Putter was an area when the difference in the balls is most noticeable; the W/S again has the much softer feel and surprisingly would roll longer than the e5 which was a problem on a few of the longer putts as it made the second putt much more challenging than I would have liked. The e5 was much more predictable off of the putter for me.

Actually both of these balls held up really well today and either would be good for another round, no noticeable scuff on either altough I did not hit a lot of wedges today which may have been a factor. The weather was beautiful and the temperature was 74* when I left the course, it was nice playing in short sleeves and shorts. I am enjoying the e5 a lot and really wish Bridgestone would consider making them available in optic yellow.

Here is a link to my last review which will link all of myprevious reviews.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?39900-2013-Bridgestone-e5-Golf-Ball-Forum-Testing-Thread&p=1935624#post1935624

Good job Dawg! I am looking forward to comparing the E5 to my E6's. I hope they come out with the yellow version too on all e versions! It's easier for us old guys to see our balls:thumb:

I really can't wait to get out tomorrow and Thursday for a solid refresher on these since my first outing before the PGA show. I can say that I'm a bit embarrassed that I have ALWAYS kind of shoved this ball aside in favor of the e6 or RX forever now. Looking forward to throwing down a full thought-fest tomorrow!!! YES!!!

I really can't wait to get out tomorrow and Thursday for a solid refresher on these since my first outing before the PGA show. I can say that I'm a bit embarrassed that I have ALWAYS kind of shoved this ball aside in favor of the e6 or RX forever now. Looking forward to throwing down a full thought-fest tomorrow!!! YES!!!

Really looking forward to reading your thoughts James, you sir are a reviewing machine.

Really looking forward to reading your thoughts James, you sir are a reviewing machine.

I don't know about that, I just like to talk/type.....a lot. Hehe

All of you are providing great information. Keep up the good work.

Yesterday I spent a while on the launch monitor testing the new e5 side by side with other balls known for different qualities. In order, I hit:

NEW e5
2011 and 2009 e5
Tour B330
2013 ProV1
Velocity
RBZu
Top Flite XL3000

The VectorX launch monitor my shop has really only works for drivers, so that's all I used this time around. I only kept track of carry distance, launch angle, and spin because I feel those are the most important numbers when testing a ball. The rest would be attributed to primarily the swing, but also the club.

The new e5 was the best overall performer for me off the tee. Taking the average of ten good shots, my average carry was 267 yards with a launch angle of 13.8* and 2733 RPM spin. It may not feel as great as a tour premium ball, but it sure does get the job done better than them for me. I don't really trust launch monitors for side spin, but according to the LM this one had the most of it for me. I take that with a grain of salt until I can see a real ball flight.

For comparison, the other balls flew:

2011 e5 262 yds
2009 e5 254 yds
Tour B330 264 yds
2013 ProV1 263 yds
Velocity 266 yds
RBZu 258 yds
Top Flite XL3000 247 yds

Brief notes on the other balls:

The e5 showed steady improvement as model year moved up. That's definitely a good thing and it shows Bstone is improving their product fast.

For 3 yards, the e5 doesn't win over the B330 in my book. Feel and short game performance still give the edge to a tour premium in my opinion.

The new ProV1 feels and performs exactly the same as the last one for me.

The Velocity is long and straight, but has no feel or spin to it.

Disappointed by the RBZu. Just didn't feel good or go far.

Good ole Top Flite :)

Distance and Control is what the e5 is promoted as by Bridgestone. The distance aspect is certainly there, and time will tell if the control is there for me as well. For its price bracket, nothing comes close in my opinion. Along with the other two great e series options, they are the best mid price ball on the market. The urethane cover gives it a spin advantage topped only by premium balls, and the distance is awesome.

Here is a link to my first writeup for those who missed it. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...sting-Thread&p=1923931&viewfull=1#post1923931

I have been out twice with the e-5 since my last big write up. First time was with Ole Gray, KellyBo and MaryC last week for a round of golf. Did not have my A game (or B game really) but I did manage to hit some very good shots with the e5. My tempo was much too quick, I guess I was just excited to be playing golf with my friends. When I did manage to get the swing calmed down I was hitting the ball fairly long and straight or with a slight draw, the e5 really performed well in the huge wind we had that day.

I was able to get the ball to check up on pitches and also was able to let it roll out when needed for the most part. The greens were really fast, but again for the most part I had no trouble with ball speed. I would give the e5 an A on its performance and me a C+ on mine.

Today I decided would be a good day to simply compare the driving distance of the e5 vs the B330-RX and the 2011 e6. The results were somewhat surprising as I have been playing the RX the past 4 years, having been fitted live a few times and online multiple times. The numbers are for 7 drives with the longest and shortest of each ball removed from the pool. The RX was the shortest by 8 yards, the e5 was in the middle and the e6 was 3 yards longer. I had really expected the RX and e5 to be much closer in total distance, more like the e5 & e6 really. Of course I plan to do this little experiment a couple of more times to expand the data pool and see if this early result holds true. The e6 was the "softest' feeling off of the driver and the e5 actually felt "hard. The RX simply felt right.

Today I also noticed something very unusual about the sound/feel off of my SeeMore mFPG2 putter. The loudest ball sound by far is the e5, the quietest was the e6 and the RX was closer to the e6 sound than the e5. As far as feel the e5 and RX seem to feel very close with a familiar firmness as I use the RX almost all of my rounds. The e6 actually felt “softer” but inexplicably consistently rolled farther than either of the other two, making it a little harder for me to judge speed on my putts.

The e5 continues to perform solidly and it may just be the ticket to move me away from the RX and into the e series balls, time will tell.

First Testing

Driver:

Fairway Metals\Hybrids:

Irons:

Wedges:

Putter:

Second Testing

Pitch Shots:

Chip Shots:

Putter:

OVERALL

JF16, DawgDaddy & mastapp,

I rely on my short game (it's all I've got) when I am playing. I will be interested in seeing if the E5 will be able to lure you away from your tour level gamers. The pricepoint is attractive.

I don't know about that, I just like to talk/type.....a lot. Hehe

:shock: J/K

Actually I am looking forward to your comments. Your reviews are always thorough.

@DufferToo. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth since I got a free dozen of these to test but they won't take me off my RX 330. I'm a Bridgestone guy, but I really think for my game, even though I'm just an 11.8 at the moment, that the Rx 330 is for me. Part of it is the thought that the e5 won't be offered in yellow, too. That really makes a difference for me, oddly enough.

I must say, that if I were I didn't have RX 330s available, I wouldn't hesitate to play the e5. I'm more of a power guy, my short game is my weakness, and I need every bit of spin and bite I can get. If your short game is your strength, I think you'd probably be able to get a lot of mileage out of the e5. I definitely recommend at least buying a sleeve and giving them a try.

Play well!

All of you are providing great information. Keep up the good work.

JF16, DawgDaddy & mastapp,

I rely on my short game (it's all I've got) when I am playing. I will be interested in seeing if the E5 will be able to lure you away from your tour level gamers. The pricepoint is attractive.

Right now no, and I am like mastapp, a large reason is I really love optic yellow. I have been gaming these for at least a year, probably a little longer, and miss that so much in the e5. I am not ruling it out though as I found the e5 to be a good bit longer in my one head to head testing, if this trend holds true over several rounds I will have to give it more consideration as I am 65 and losing distance each year.

James, I would be particularly interested in your thoughts on the Sound and feel off the driver. I have been sort of mixed here. Oddly, everywhere else, irons, spin, putter, hybrids (when I can hit one lately) and everything else I really like this ball. First, I thought it was me but have seen others refer to it as well. So far it's not a deal breaker, just different.

thanks!

James, I would be particularly interested in your thoughts on the Sound and feel off the driver. I have been sort of mixed here. Oddly, everywhere else, irons, spin, putter, hybrids (when I can hit one lately) and everything else I really like this ball. First, I thought it was me but have seen others refer to it as well. So far it's not a deal breaker, just different.

thanks!

Dude, I shall keep that in mind for tomorrows round, for sure.

Back