Cleveland Classic XL Fairway Wood Preview Thread

Sounds promising, interested to hear about that Matrix shaft as well. I will definitely have a 3w but curious to see if the other FW's could not some of the Altitudes out of the bag.

I'm venturing the shaft will get positive thoughts. :alien:

I can't wait to hear some more from you all. I'm still auditioning fairway woods and this is one I have to get my hands on.

Nice to hear the good initial feedback on this one. I'll definitely be checking the 3W out this month when they come out. Agreed on the headcovers.

Does it feel any different in terms of weight? I'm having a hard time not thinking about this thing.

Does it feel any different in terms of weight? I'm having a hard time not thinking about this thing.

Not to me. And I played both back to back on the range. Maybe slightly head heavier with the Mashie FW.

Awesome. This will be at the top of the three wood short list.

I like the thought of it possibly being a tad bit more head heavy, it always lets me feel everything through the swing more.

I just really like the look, the black/gold is just nice, nice, nice.

The looks are what really set this club apart for me (at least in pictures, and no, I'm sadly not talking about the headcover)..

It's all about performance though.

The looks are what really set this club apart for me (at least in pictures, and no, I'm sadly not talking about the headcover)..

It's all about performance though.
I think you will be happy with this one. It performed, for sure. I was quite pleased with the stock shaft offering as well.

I think you will be happy with this one. It performed, for sure. I was quite pleased with the stock shaft offering as well.
People shouldn't sleep on it not being a Miya! Matrix is legit too!

Glad to hear you liked the whole shebang.

I'm a big Cleveland fan. First set of irons were Cleveland so have always had a soft spot for the company. I currently game Titleist 910 woods and Cleveland irons. These look very nice in the pictures and make me want to replace the 910 woods for these (I think I would go for 3w & 5w instead of 3w & 18* Hybrid).

Hopefully they will be released here in the UK soon to test!

I'll be interested to see how much different these are from the Mashie Fws. I love the Mashie Fws, so I wonder if these are more than just a new paint job. For those worried about the Miya shaft, you can get these ordered with the Miya CKua for no upcharge if you purchase from Cleveland.

I wonder about the Miya Kusala Silver. The Custom shaft section shows it available as an option, but it is not listed in the shaft section of the shopping page.

I'll be interested to see how much different these are from the Mashie Fws. I love the Mashie Fws, so I wonder if these are more than just a new paint job. For those worried about the Miya shaft, you can get these ordered with the Miya CKua for no upcharge if you purchase from Cleveland.

I wonder about the Miya Kusala Silver. The Custom shaft section shows it available as an option, but it is not listed in the shaft section of the shopping page.
If you are looking for a progression of the Mashie line, this will not be it. The face is not near as deep as the Mashie Fairways, as it has a more traditional sized face and shape. Reminds me more of the Black Fairway or the Launcher line than the Mashie. However, it does have some slight gliderails on the sole that really assist with ground interaction.

The 1st post pictures will show that these are way more different than a new paint job.

The 1st post pictures will show that these are way more different than a new paint job.

How deep are those circular sections on the sole heel/toe sections? Are they deep enough to be an evolution of the gliderails or are they too shallow? Its interesting if Cleveland went totally away from the gliderails on the FWs, even though they are still on the Classic hybrid.

They are not gliderails. Some might say they could assist in a small capacity, but they are shallow.

They are not gliderails. Some might say they could assist in a small capacity, but they are shallow.

Sounds good, thanks.

How deep are those circular sections on the sole heel/toe sections? Are they deep enough to be an evolution of the gliderails or are they too shallow? Its interesting if Cleveland went totally away from the gliderails on the FWs, even though they are still on the Classic hybrid.
Like JB said, they are not nearly as deep as the gliderails...however, I found that hitting this off the deck was quite easy, and the turf interaction was quite nice. Definitely better than results I had hitting my CG Black off the deck, for sure.

Like JB said, they are not nearly as deep as the gliderails...however, I found that hitting this off the deck was quite easy, and the turf interaction was quite nice. Definitely better than results I had hitting my CG Black off the deck, for sure.

Good to hear Ryan. Unlike some others who raved about the Mashie FWs from everywhere, I rarely/never, pull FW from anywhere but the tee or fairway. Cant wait to give them a test in 2 weeks time.

I missed the in hand pics on these somehow. Wow. Can it be the 15th please.

If you are looking for a progression of the Mashie line, this will not be it. The face is not near as deep as the Mashie Fairways, as it has a more traditional sized face and shape. Reminds me more of the Black Fairway or the Launcher line than the Mashie. However, it does have some slight gliderails on the sole that really assist with ground interaction.

I love reading this. As a fan of the Z-Star 3w, it sounds like this new model will likely play a bit better for me than the Mashie F series did, I gravitate towards the traditional shape.

I just love the look of these clubs. Wasn't a big fan of the classic drive though.

I'm excited to get my hands on this one for sure.

The stock is the Matrix Ozik right? 57 grams at X with a torque of 5.1 (I hate that torque is a company to company thing). Pretty sure that's full on high launch low spin if memory serves.

I'm sure it's a nice pairing and I'll enjoy giving it a run but I can't help thinking a B.Asha 7s (maybe slightly tipped) would be the absolute perfect pairing for a classic fairway. Purely speculation as I haven't hit it yet, but if it's similar at all to what I experienced with the CG black last year, I think it'd be great.

I may be in the minority, but I still just don't see the Asha as a fairway shaft. I dunno, maybe its that I'd never be able to bring myself to cut one down and try it.

Back