Cleveland Classic XL Fairway Wood Preview Thread

For those wondering, the 2013 Custom Shaft Catalog link (PDF) on the very far right still loads a 2012 document. I am sure that will be updated shortly too.

Interesting that some of the upgrade prices weren't as high as I expected!!!

I know. I was really shocked. I would really like to give it a go with the GD-YSQ.

I'll be interested to see if they can recreate the magic with this one. Part of me thinks they'll be similar because they have that compact hybrid-ish head from the top side. Looks like they stuck with similar lenghts this time as well. The sole was a winner on the Mashie though. I'd really like to try both a 3 and 5.

Always got the bay dude. Just have to be patient. I'd imagine they'll be going for peanuts here soon...

I can't imagine them improving on the F5, but it will be interesting to see. I'm more interested in the shaft this go round than the paint job. 3W specifically for me.

As far as the sole goes, it looks much more traditional than the v shaped sole on the offerings. Should be interesting to see what the turf interaction is like. I'm sure it will be just fine.

Really pondering hard on how these Fairways will setup. After gaming a 3/5 wood in the Mashie FWs last year, my setup is more than likely going to mirror that and go;

Driver (10.5*, 12*, perhaps adjustable)

Classic 3W 15.5*
Classic 5W 18*

Then the question is, do I go with a hybrid from the 5W, or perhaps stay with the classic FW at the 7W?

7 wood!!!

7 wood!!!
It's a good possibility Deano. I played the F7 for a while in place of my Mashie Hybrid and really liked the results I saw with it.

It's a good possibility Deano. I played the F7 for a while in place of my Mashie Hybrid and really liked the results I saw with it.

I plan on having my AMP Cell 5/7 set to 20

Mashie FW + black FW = Classic FW.

This 3W was a bomber. Long off the tee, Easy to hit off the ground, and it just flew. An awesome progression on what Cleveland offered last year.

This 3W was a bomber. Long off the tee, Easy to hit off the ground, and it just flew. An awesome progression on what Cleveland offered last year.

Hmmmmm.....I'm liking this.....

Hmmmmm.....I'm liking this.....

I'm on Tapatalk now, but once I get my thoughts together and on a computer and, more thoughts will be posted.

Agreed. Not as V'd on the sole, but the sound is Mashie FW like and the distance is as well. Big fan of this one so far.

Sounds incredible.. Was there a consistent flight for it? Workable?

Man an upgrade on last year's is hard to fathom, can't wait to try it out

There is no doubt that this is the most wonderful time of the year. So much new gear, so much feedback!

Looking forward to reading more!

Sounds incredible.. Was there a consistent flight for it? Workable?

Mid launch and you can play it any way you want to.

Agreed. Not as V'd on the sole, but the sound is Mashie FW like and the distance is as well. Big fan of this one so far.

Great news JB. Literally the only thing worrying me is it off the turf.

LOVE hearing about the V, exactly what I need.

LOVE hearing about the V, exactly what I need.

I think you will find them to your liking, Cookie. Similar in shape to the Black 3W and a more traditional size /shape compared to the Mashie fairways. Still, the sole on the bottom has semi-gliderails that make turf interaction quite nice.

Also of importance, the head cover on this was awesome.

I'm jealous that you got to hit this, War. Can't wait for the new Cleveland line to hit stores.

I'm jealous too. I want to hit these in a bad way. How was the shaft for you War? Do you think you'd go with the stock shaft or do you have another option in mind?

I think you will find them to your liking, Cookie. Similar in shape to the Black 3W and a more traditional size /shape compared to the Mashie fairways. Still, the sole on the bottom has semi-gliderails that make turf interaction quite nice.

Sounds promising, interested to hear about that Matrix shaft as well. I will definitely have a 3w but curious to see if the other FW's could not some of the Altitudes out of the bag.

Back