2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a "fitness" routine. The author, Jason Ferruggia (great twitter follow) hates exercise ball lifts. Great for stability training. Awful for mass building.

Yes you are correct. I have two complaints with the program though. First, it requires a lot of time. With a toddler and another baby coming very soon, I don't have that. So I am doing 3 week cycles. Second, it really requires a gym. It is not an at home program at all. Because of the lifts and the philosophy, spotters are also good to have available.

But otherwise, it is a knockout program. Just add reps, or weight from week to week. If you can complete the max number of reps, its time to increase the weight.

I like the look of that, blu. Have you seen good results with it?

Yes I have. It is really easy to follow and the program is designed to be very simple with a single goal in mind. Add strength and size. I have been pounding it out. I have really enjoyed seeing lifts that were struggles to do 5 reps on, become an easy 8 reps two weeks later.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So here's what I got out those responses. A protein heavy diet really doesn't build much muscle because your body is using the protein (due to lack of carbs) for energy, and therefore, your muscles don't get the protein to increase in mass. So in other words, as carbs increase, the likelihood of increasing muscle mass also increases.

And yes, I have definitely seen an increase in 'lean muscle.' I am much more defined than before I started, but I've just been a little concerned that I don't appear to be adding much mass.

Thanks again everyone!

~Rock

Scramble partner! Woooo! For once I will know what it feels like to have an easy approach on a Par 5!

hahahahha we would have a blast.

It's true. I'm lucky that 300 yard drives are easy to come by.

But then again you have the aerobic fitness to keep you strong going down the home stretch, when other guys will start to tire and loose concentration

Thanks everyone for the responses. So here's what I got out those responses. A protein heavy diet really doesn't build much muscle because your body is using the protein (due to lack of carbs) for energy, and therefore, your muscles don't get the protein to increase in mass. So in other words, as carbs increase, the likelihood of increasing muscle mass also increases.

And yes, I have definitely seen an increase in 'lean muscle.' I am much more defined than before I started, but I've just been a little concerned that I don't appear to be adding much mass.

Thanks again everyone!

~Rock

Exactly. The fine line becomes when you add too many carbs- they turn into fat faster than protein. BUT a common misconception is that protein wont turn into fat. Extra calories = added fat regardless of nutrient type. If you eat 5000 calories a day and aren't crushing it in the gym, you will get fat over time. That number is dumb obviously, but everyone has a line that they can't cross calorically.

But then again you have the aerobic fitness to keep you strong going down the home stretch, when other guys will start to tire and loose concentration

That is true also! Mabye I'll try blue's program but try to run twice a week.

That is true also! Mabye I'll try blue's program but try to run twice a week.

The way i see it is there are always gonna be upsides to being fit and healthy when it come to golf but at the end of the day the best thing for anyone's game is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTISE

The way i see it is there are always gonna be upsides to being fit and healthy when it come to golf but at the end of the day the best thing for anyone's game is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTISE

Agreed. That is where my time in the gym goes when the weather gets better.

It's recommended in fact. On the off days.

So day 1 = phase 1 workout 1. Day 2 cardio. Day 3 phase 1 workout 2. Day 4 cardio. Day 5 phase 1 workout 3. Day 6 cardio. Day 7 rest.

Don't forget the day four workouts. In theory they should be done on day 7.

Ok. That was my question. So you can restart a "week" whenever you want after a rest day and completing the 3 workouts. So it's actually a 6 day a week program.

Another awesome workout in the books. Back/shoulders today with a run and some bike time.

Another awesome workout in the books. Back/shoulders today with a run and some bike time.

Nice job bro! Keep it up my man.

Ok. That was my question. So you can restart a "week" whenever you want after a rest day and completing the 3 workouts. So it's actually a 6 day a week program.

I think I'm confused. The week starts over once day 4 is completed. At least that's how I read it.

I think I'm confused. The week starts over once day 4 is completed. At least that's how I read it.

Yup. But if you take a day off between sessions then the rest day is day 6 and like you said - day 7 starts a new "week". It said only 3 sessions per "week"

"each phase consists of 4 training days, but you will only perform three per week, taking at least one day between sessions to rest or do cardio."

"each phase consists of 4 training days, but you will only perform three per week, taking at least one day between sessions to rest or do cardio."

Yes you are correct. I haven't been following the program to a tee. Even thought it says that I am an idiot. I just don't have the time in my life right now to make this work.

I am rereading it. I admit I am not doing the program as stated. But from what I can tell this is how it should be structured

Ok, now I'm going to ask another question. I dunno, maybe I'm just clueless about this stuff. I tend to work out in the mornings....like 530 am, prior to any meal. So if I eat carbs at night, will they convert to fat before i workout in the morning, or will those carbs be there for energy for my morning workout?

thanks everyone

~Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back