2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad workout tonight. Just had no energy. Bleh.

What's going on buddy?

Not sure. It wasn't even a long day. Maybe a day of playing my worst golf in a while drained me. Just bleh.

Not sure. It wasn't even a long day. Maybe a day of playing my worst golf in a while drained me. Just bleh.
We all have those days buddy, mine was yesterday. Hard to get motivated at time.

Yeah. Tomorrow's another day though.
It is dude! I will be up at 4:45 for Boot Camp, ready to grind it out! As the instructor says in class, "it's the best Wednesday of your life."

It is dude! I will be up at 4:45 for Boot Camp, ready to grind it out! As the instructor says in class, "it's the best Wednesday of your life."

That's crazy. I have class at 10 and I'm not sure I want to get up at 7 to work out before school.

That's crazy. I have class at 10 and I'm not sure I want to get up at 7 to work out before school.
Haha, working out early feels great dude.

Bad workout tonight. Just had no energy. Bleh.

Happens dude. The point is you worked out. Not every workout is a new PR. Head up bro.

So I am putting on a lot of muscle right now as I am still in the "off season", I am becoming more and more un-flexible. I do not notice a loss in distance yet but i do notice it takes much longer for me to warm up before i can start actually swinging the club the way I know to.. hard and fast.. If i do not warm up and stretch for a good while i will get a very tight, muscle straining feeling in my lower right part of my back.. In your opinion does more muscle hurt ones golf game or improve it? I notice more distance than now than when i was 20lbs lighter but I also have lost "feel" around the greens due to being more stiff.

I have never lost feel as you say. I would incorporate some kind of serious stretching routine if you feel you are getting stiff. If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest getting to the course quite a bit earlier to start stretching out so by the time you step up to the first tee box you are already warm.

Yep. I also notice a difference on the scale based upon my (a) sodium intake in the previous 2 or so meals and (b) water intake. I don't weigh much more after lifting weights as compared to pre-lifting weights.... but I definitely "bloat" after long runs (5 miles plus).

Absolutely. These can all play a significant role and play games with your numbers.

So I am putting on a lot of muscle right now as I am still in the "off season", I am becoming more and more un-flexible. I do not notice a loss in distance yet but i do notice it takes much longer for me to warm up before i can start actually swinging the club the way I know to.. hard and fast.. If i do not warm up and stretch for a good while i will get a very tight, muscle straining feeling in my lower right part of my back.. In your opinion does more muscle hurt ones golf game or improve it? I notice more distance than now than when i was 20lbs lighter but I also have lost "feel" around the greens due to being more stiff.

Longball

I think what tends to happen, and I don't know exactly what you are doing, that doing "bodybuilding" type routines tend to lead to little functional strength, and then the increaded mass becomes a bit more of a hinderance. And it seems to become more of an issue as one gets older. I think if I were lifting with only the goal of improving my golf game is that I would focus on 3-4 complex exercises ( a press, pull-ups or rows, squats or deadlifts ) with lower reps and a few more sets e.g 5x3, working between 60-85% of your 1 rep max. I also would add explosive type medicine ball exercises, core work and maybe some assistance band training. And I would get the book "Core performance" or something similiar and do a comprehensive stretching routine. Sounds like your hip girdle area is tight, and you need to address that so you don't get injured. Going to a chiro who can do a FMS ( functional movement screen ) is probably a great idea.

I actually have some of the same issues ( used to do a lot of lifting ) and even now, I still pay for that! ( degenerated discs in my back, etc ) But for me, in all that time, I never lost my feel for the short game? I think that will come around with a bit more playing & practicing.

Hope some of this helps!

Boot Camp whipped my tail this morning. Probably the toughest session we have done yet, it was awesome.

Haha, working out early feels great dude.

Agree! Nothing better than getting up, busting your a$$, then knowing you are done your workout for the day. I haven't missed a morning now in 2 weeks, and feel great.

Agree! Nothing better than getting up, busting your a$$, then knowing you are done your workout for the day. I haven't missed a morning now in 2 weeks, and feel great.

I'm in my 4th week of working out in the morning, and conversely, my body is still struggling to adjust. I can still work out well, but I'm really struggling with recovery. That was never a problem when I was doing evening workouts, and I was pushing harder then. Strange how much difference it can make to different people!

I'm in my 4th week of working out in the morning, and conversely, my body is still struggling to adjust. I can still work out well, but I'm really struggling with recovery. That was never a problem when I was doing evening workouts, and I was pushing harder then. Strange how much difference it can make to different people!

Paulo

I think the bottom line is some people are morning people, some aren't. I do think that can change over time though. I know when I was younger there is no way I would have been up at 5 a.m to workout! I think personality types play into this as well - I'm more of a type A, and I'd venture a guess that the large majority of those working out so early are type A's.

Paulo

I think the bottom line is some people are morning people, some aren't. I do think that can change over time though. I know when I was younger there is no way I would have been up at 5 a.m to workout! I think personality types play into this as well - I'm more of a type A, and I'd venture a guess that the large majority of those working out so early are type A's.

I agree man. I've never particularly been a morning person, but it suits my schedule, so I'm fighting it!

I agree man. I've never particularly been a morning person, but it suits my schedule, so I'm fighting it!

Hope it gets easier my man. I'm impressed that you are fighting it though and trying to make it work! Keep it up!

So I somehow manage to lose some weight this week. I am not sure how since my mom made a cake and I ate half of it. I am at 174.9, I would really just like to get rid of belly fat, definitely the most stubborn thing.

Hope it gets easier my man. I'm impressed that you are fighting it though and trying to make it work! Keep it up!

Thanks dude. It just makes so much sense with my schedule and will allow me to play more golf this year. So I'm determined. I think if I can get rid of the little annoying injuries and start feeling stronger, it'll fall into place. Watch this space.

Lower body workout this morning was fun.

One last quick workout and now getting ready for our trip, ill let the golfing count as exercise for the next few days :)

One last quick workout and now getting ready for our trip, ill let the golfing count as exercise for the next few days :)
Sprint through the Airport Deano!

Go up the escalators the wrong way.

Dude you have been killing it. Enjoy a few days off. You'll be more fresh for when you get back to it.

Thanks dude. It just makes so much sense with my schedule and will allow me to play more golf this year. So I'm determined. I think if I can get rid of the little annoying injuries and start feeling stronger, it'll fall into place. Watch this space.

Lower body workout this morning was fun.

Nice! It is always a great feeling when you start out the morning with a good workout. And more golf is always a great thing haha

So I somehow manage to lose some weight this week. I am not sure how since my mom made a cake and I ate half of it. I am at 174.9, I would really just like to get rid of belly fat, definitely the most stubborn thing.

Watch the complex carb intake - do core work and cardio regularly. It should start to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back