Cleveland 588 RTX Wedge Preview Thread

Do we have any pictures of what the club looks like at address? I want to see the leading edge. If its like the CG15 with a rounder leading edge then I won't like it :-(

Do we have any pictures of what the club looks like at address? I want to see the leading edge. If its like the CG15 with a rounder leading edge then I won't like it :-(

It is rounder in comparison to the 588 Forged. If you're looking for a straighter style leading edge, than those will be right up your ally.

Yesterday was my first day with the Cleveland MB RTX on the course. I chose to play 3 balls on every shot I had with it, all different balls to see the reaction of the ball.
After some chipping warm-ups I found that playing the ball slightly behind mid-stance was working the best for me. The balls I was using were Titleist Pro V1, Top~Flite Gamer V2, and Bridgestone E6.
Keep this in mind, the greens here are still VERY HARD and fast to the point as you really need to allow at least 4-8 feet of rollout on very short chips.

First Shot: 72 yards tight pin in the back left. Normally I would have used my 50* wedge here as I have never been able to hit my old sand wedge over 57 yards for some reason but I needed to find out my distance on this RTX.
To my surprise the ball hit about 8 feet short of the pin and settled about 3 feet away. All 3 balls reacted pretty much the same except the E6 rolled passed the pin to the fringe. My playing partner even commented about how the shots looked and sounded. I never felt the ball come off the face.
I inspected the balls and to my surprise all 3 had chew marks from the shot, the Gamer 2 was almost ruined.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot: 48 yards middle pin. I used a ¾ stroke on the ball slightly back in my stance all 3 balls hit short of the pin by about 3 feet and rolled 4 feet passed. No unusual ball scrapes.

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot: 21 yard bunker shot My personal Nemesis! I tried 2 styles here, opening the blade and with a neutral blade. When I opened the blade I hit all 3 shots thin, either my swing or bounce. The neutral shots jumped out of the bunker like a canon and I overshot the green. Played them again lessening my swing and they all three flopped out on the green and rolled about 15 feet. You could tell they had spin but the greens just didn’t grab them.

A thunderstorm came thru and halted play for 30 minutes

4[SUP]th[/SUP] shot: 66 yards. This shot impressed the hell out of the guys coming off the green and my playing partner. The first attempt was with the ProV1, it hit 2 feet short of the pin and banged the pin and dropped in the hole! The Gamer v2 hit 2 feet passed the hole and 1 hop stopped. The E6 hit 4 feet short and rolled up within 6” of the hole.
Again I checked the balls and all 3 had chew marks.
After this because of the rain we had to speed up the round and I could no longer hit 3 balls.
My Opinion: This wedge really works well. If I was playing on early summer greens or bent grass I have no doubt you would be seeing some 1 hop stops and probably some suck back.
Being a new wedge, this thing will chew up balls, plain and simple but it is so worth having it. I was hesitant to play a blade style on full shots but I can tell you this, I am in serious ponder mode on a 50*.

Great feedback Hotled, thanks for sharing!

Pretty cool that this is working so well for you right out of the gate, some impressive shots for the first time out.

The ball chewing does surprise me as I had not heard that yet. Thanks again!

Really the only question that needs to be asked is........

Black pearl or Satin chrome?

Really the only question that needs to be asked is........

Black pearl or Satin chrome?
Black pearl, no question about it.

I don't know War... Black Pearl look unreal, but satin is pretty stunning in itself..

Hitting them yesterday, I did get a bit of glare off the satin from the overheard lights which surprised me, but they both look awesome first hand.

Yeah nevermind, black pearl wins again.

I don't know War... Black Pearl look unreal, but satin is pretty stunning in itself..

Hitting them yesterday, I did get a bit of glare off the satin from the overheard lights which surprised me, but they both look awesome first hand.

The satin looks good with the chrome accent, but that BP is just beautiful all over.

Black pearl is a looker for sure. But I really wonder about the wear effects on that finish. I can't see it standing the test of time

Black pearl is a looker for sure. But I really wonder about the wear effects on that finish. I can't see it standing the test of time

My black Pearls are almost a year old and they have aged well. Really like how they have worn.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Totally fair concern..

Has anyone gotten these into their bags and seen quite a bit of course time? Would be awesome to see pics of the finish after 10-20-30-40 rounds.

My black Pearls are almost a year old and they have aged well. Really like how they have worn.

Black pearl wedges or irons? I practice my fair share of sand shots. I've seen a set of the black irons after a year of play and the soles of the clubs had very little black left. But of your a fan of that then good good buddy

Black pearl wedges or irons? I practice my fair share of sand shots. I've seen a set of the black irons after a year of play and the soles of the clubs had very little black left. But of your a fan of that then good good buddy

Wedges. Like I said, they aren't mint, but I love the way they've worn. Here are some pics from a few weeks ago before I did my painfill. Probably had about 20-30 rounds on them.

y5a3u4e8.jpg

upygy9aq.jpg

aju6usu2.jpg

Wedges. Like I said, they aren't mint, but I love the way they've worn. Here are some pics from a few weeks ago before I did my painfill. Probably had about 20-30 rounds on them.

y5a3u4e8.jpg

upygy9aq.jpg

aju6usu2.jpg

. They do have a nice characteristic...it's the reverse rusting affect in some ways. It come down to what fits your eye I guess... Thanks for the pics

Here they are after the paintfill and another 5 rounds/range sessions

umuva6es.jpg

3e3e6usy.jpg

. They do have a nice characteristic...it's the reverse rusting affect in some ways. It come down to what fits your eye I guess... Thanks for the pics

What do you mean by reverse rusting buddy?

Really pondering a 56 degree in this when I head in to GolfTown in a couple weeks. Time to replace my Vokey, go back to something I can use out of the sand a bit better.

Time to use up some gift certificates, and snag a wedge and some new grips too.

Black Pearls for me. But I did see some in person RTGs this weekend and they had me pondering those too. LOL.

Black Pearls for me. But I did see some in person RTGs this weekend and they had me pondering those too. LOL.
I love the finish on the RTGs.

I love the finish on the RTGs.

Yes, at this point the 58* RTG is just calling my name. While it will be nice to hit one off the fitting cart, I really want to try it at a demo day so I can try various shots outdoors.

Yes.

y3uma8eh.jpg

Back