The Ultimate Therapy:

VolForLife

Reaction score
Handicap
18.1 OOB
I've had a rough past 48 hours. Recently, my relationship of three years has been a tad bit shaky, but I thought all was going to work itself out. She left for work yesterday morning, and I headed out to play a quick 18 so I could meet her back at the apartment and we could go to dinner. When I got home, she was there, and she blindsided me by deciding that our relationship was going nowhere. In a matter of 8 hours I went from waking up and heading to the golf course, to moving back in with my parents until I can get a dorm room (we were sharing an apartment off-campus). Woke up this morning, well, got out of bed more like since I got no sleep, and decided I was going to go play nine holes to try and clear my head. Went as a single, and ended up playing with this really nice older gentleman. He noticed I was down, asked me what was wrong, and told me, "Son, I admire any couple your age who can fight adversity and stay together as long as you two had. You're young, and you'll be just fine. For now, enjoy life, enjoy this game."

Golf is the Ultimate Therapy. I'll miss her like crazy, and I'm sure you don't care about my relationship issues, but if anything, this event has strengthened my love for this game.

From a fellow Vol fan...I went through a very similar thing. Golf has always been my escape.

I'm sorry to hear about that bud. If theres anything I can do to help please let me know. I know that it's not easy to part ways with someone you've been so close to for a long time. I don't know what I'd do without my other half. I will love her forever. But if something were to happen, I know golf would keep me strong and I would miss every single moment of our relationship, but sadly i would have to carry on. Stay strong my friend and keep your head up.
-Manny M.

Sounds like you got some sound advice and a great time on the course. Hang in there, life is going to throw things at you from time to time.

If my girlfriend of 3 years hadn't done the same thing to me 20 years ago I never would have met the woman I married nor would I have had such a perfect son...it's now 16 years since we met and life still rules, I look forward to spending every day with my family when I wake up every morning...

I know it's tough but don't sweat it dude...everything happens for a reason...just keep going to "Therapy" as often as possible to keep your attitude positive.

I guess I should add that to almost add insult to injury, this also happened after shooting a personal best 83.

I guess I should add that to almost add insult to injury, this also happened after shooting a personal best 83.

Maybe you should go through breakups more often? Haha. Sorry to hear about that, man. Hang in there. You live in a SEC town, there's plenty out there for ya.

Relax bro, Ive been there. Was engaged at 22, broke it off at 25, met my future wife 2 years ago, we get married may 11. She lets me golf my ass off, hunt like a fool all fall, and Keeps me sane in between all that. The one is out there, being in an Sec town, id be finding which southern bell was gonna step to the plate.

Sports has always been an escape for me. It's great when you get some words of wisdom when you least expect it.

Sorry to hear what you're going through. Sounds like a good advice from the other man.

Rough time. Keep strong, keep positive and keep smiling. As previously said - these things tend to happen for a reason.

Sucks to hear man, been there before myself. My advice is to take the high road on everything, leave it off FB/Twitter, and give yourself some time. Who knows what the next few weeks will hold, so dont do/say/post anything you may regret.

Sucks to hear man, been there before myself. My advice is to take the high road on everything, leave it off FB/Twitter, and give yourself some time. Who knows what the next few weeks will hold, so dont do/say/post anything you may regret.

Solid advice here... as a former somewhat of a hot head, tell it like I see it sort of a guy, ( actually got myself in a little trouble with the wife last night due to this! ) sometimes that can work against you. I do believe things tend to happen for a reason. Deep breaths - and soon you will look forward to what is around the bend!!

Sorry to hear this. I remember dating my high school girlfriend and breaking up with her about 4 years ago while we were in college. A college relationship is really tough to maintain. I know it seemed like the worst thing at the time but I wouldn't have met my current girlfriend had it not happened.

It's time to roll with the punches and who knows maybe it will work out in the near future, and if not, you can look back on it as a fun experience and learn something from it.

Now, more time for golf :)

Sorry to hear Vol but your young still and it'll all work out!

Congrats on the PB and keep hitting the course for therapy!

Golf is a great therapy. Great for stress.

Sorry to hear about that fella. Keep your chin up and positve things WILL happen for you!

Golf is a great therapy. Great for stress.

Or causing a different kind of stress to take your mind off the original stress!:D

Sorry to hear about the break-up, but better now than later! There's a big "ocean" out there, and swimming around is a fish looking just for you!

Keep your head up and your eyes open.

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. All of us older guys are giving the same advice. It happened for a reason, plenty of fish in the sea, and all the rest of the cliches. The thing is, they become cliches, because by and large, they're true. I didn't want to hear any of that when it happened to me back in college either, but it was true for me and I'm sure it is for you. Life has a way of working itself out. Stay true to what you believe in, be a good human and you'll meet the right girl. For now, no hall passes necessary to play golf whenever you want. There's always a silver lining.

Not that it compares to what you're going through, but had a few days off from work this weekend, looking forward to a nice 5-day "weekend"...and then kids got sick and blew the whole thing to hell. Had to get out and hit some balls last night. Even though my drives were terrible, it was still theraputic.

Hope things perk up for you quickly.

I second that thought. It sucks right now & it's so easy to blast someone when this happens, or to rip her to your friends, etc. But always take the high road & keep the good memories from the relationship. You never know, if you stay open to whatever comes your way, you will end up on the right path for you (even when you can't see itcoming around the bend).

Hang in there! Think of this as the final payment on your man-card. We've all been there. If it makes you feel any better - at least you didn't fly down to South Carolina for vacation to have her break up on the first night.

Right now its a big hurt. Time will make it smaller and smaller, the right woman will make it disappear. Stiff upper lip. We've all been there, better to find out now than later when the stakes, and time lost are greater.

Last edited:
Sucks man, but you're right, golf is a great stress reliever when you go in with the right attitude - my brother takes it way too seriously and I think it actually makes him worse, but that's besides the point. Feels so great when you're having a rough one to just get out and enjoy Mother Nature, which is really what golf is all about.

I'm sure everything will work out my man!

Thanks for all the well wishing and advice everyone.

Not been feeling the best the past few days obviously. Lots of time in front of the NetFlix machine. Just trying to give her time because I want this to work out. Might head out to the range in the morning.

Back