The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took two wedges and a putter to the short game area for the better part of two hours this afternoon.

My only focus was getting up and down. Chips, pitches and putting.

By the end of my time out there I was feeling quite confident with a wedge in the hand. This is something I need to do more often.

Had my first session with the XHot Pro tonight.

Wow. It felt really good. It's definitely longer than my previous driver. It's gonna take some getting used to though. My bad swings can still every bit as offline, so no magic there. Just gotta find a grove.

Another Team Albatross member spending a good two hours at the range tonight. Quick through the wedges and irons, feeling good about them, and moved straight to the driver. Wind dead into the face, the biggest problem seemed to be getting too much launch angle on the shots as they got caught up in the wind. Certainly something I'll need to consider moving forward.

Then, a good hour putting with the Dinero exec, which didn't go as well as I would have liked. Ball seemed to be bouncing on me again, which really ticks me off, as I really want to continue the quality forward roll being promoted by my si2 and m9 right now. It would seem that I've got a lot of work to do when I get my MC putter.

Love seeing team albatross hard at work...well done fellas

Made some progress last night. When all else fails, I just go back to the first drills my instructor had me working on. That's what he does when I suck, so I figure I'll save us both the time. Hit some solid shots and quite right away.

Short range session and a little pitch and putt action. Felt like I hit the ball pretty good on the range.

Lesson today and we worked keeping the clubhead outside my hands at takeaway. My only swing thought was pushing the butt of club down with my left hand while simultaneously turning my shoulders. No way you can pull the club back inside your hands when doing that move. It also helps me get more vertical and on plane, instead of flat and off plane.

It was interesting to see on video how i'm laid off at the top of my backswing and redirect the club back on plane on the downswing. I've been hitting it really well lately and would never have noticed that redirection. Lessons are great!!

had a follow up lesson - i started to get a little flat on the backswing then slight over top (yet i was corrected at impact) and a bit shifty with my right leg/body weight. hit up the range later that night to work on the issues and made some good progress.

I was able to get out and play 6 holes yesterday after work and had a blast. We played the red tees just for the heck of it and to see what our short games could do. Kind of back fired as I hit bad approaches on #1 and #2 from 60 yards and 40 yards respectively. Ugh. Turned it around by holing out for eagle with a pitch on #3 and then parred #4 and birdied #5. Unfortunately I doubled the par 3 #6 due to a terrible bunker shot out of rock hard sand. Left a bad fast in my mouth. I can't wait to get back out there though.

Got up around 7 this morning and headed over to the course for some range work before heading into work at 11. Worked mainly on hitting my 6-pw. Over the weekend in Ohio I felt like I was having some distance issues with my shorter irons and worked those out. Kind of figured out I was just not excelerating through the bottom of the shot. Was just a little lazy at the bottom...was still making solid contact, just no club head speed. Worked that out, did struggle a little with my 6 as I was rolling on about 5 hours of sleep and no breakfast and was wearing a little as I hit about 35-45 balls with each club and was really focusing exceleration through the down swing. Work on some wedges as well with the 100 yard flag. Just getting myself comfortable hitting my 52* and 56* to that yardage.

Sounds like you're going to be ready for this weekend PD!

I'm going to try to get time in on the putting green today, mostly for a review. Other than that, probably won't get much practice in this week. I have to homebody it a little since I'll be gone all weekend. Build up some points in the brownie bank and all.

Got a chance to hit some after work balls. It was good. Distance not so much, but the center of the face was struck a few times and that made me happy.

Spin and launch is astronomical (for me) with my irons at the moment.

practice some 60 yard pitch shots while on the course today. Also got some needed bunker work in. Since I can't seem to the drive the ball worth a damn I need my short game to shape up.

Nice little grouping on those 60 yard pitches.

Last edited:
practice some 60 yard pitch shots while on the course today. Also got some needed bunker work in. Since I can't seem to the drive the ball worth a damn I need my short game to shape up.

Nice little coupling on those 60 yard pitches.

Nice work ddec but isn't that a grouping?

Got some good range time in today; Was nice and warm out for a change yet quite windy tonight. I really don't work on the range much with my woods / driver and it has been showing lately. Today I focused on FW off the turf and my driver. Specifically I was working on swing through the ball and getting my weight forward on my downswing. I've been hitting high on the face as well lately and will need to address that... other than just tee it low. Did some experimenting with ball position with the driver as well and was starting to see some favorable results.

I sense a good weekend coming for us bhilln.

Another miserable range session in the books. Something is seriously wrong, and I can't figure out what it is. Tonight was plagued with thin shots again, and the ones that weren't thin were just squirted off to the right as though the clubface was pathetically open.

The only club I could hit decent today was the trusty 3H.

I sense a good weekend coming for us bhilln.

Likewise dude... and I need it right now. I'm hoping to get at least one more range day in before the weekend. Back to basics.

Figured some things out after a really bad weekend. There may be a good golfer in me yet, just have to keep practicing.

Started out just taking little swings and working on contact with a 6 iron, didn't like it, went and started practicing with a 9 iron much butter could see the ball flight with those little, short hits. Then a buddy came over and we chatted he watched me swing a couple times told me a few things and then I worked on that, what a difference, nice and high the ball would start left and just fade back to my aim point land nice and soft and roll out a bit, I could play that **** all day long, it might not work the greatest on some holes but it was awesome.

Found that I was decelerating on all clubs, and I would then hit behind the ball and come up and top it.

I still need to work on finding the center of the club yet.

Still haven't gotten out of my wood/hybrid funk don't know what's going on there but I need to get it figured out, had a massive slice on them today.

Also did some chipping practice with the AW and Lob wedge, I don't put a lot of spin on my wedge shots, or the green is really horrible but I had some good chips, I'll have to change that a bit though since on course I've been more of a bomb and run guy lately, just grab a 6i and roll it in up there.

Good day.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Rough day at the range. Hit some good shots but also hit some true shanks. The swing just isn't feeling very together right now.

However, I moved over to the short game area and worked on my pitches and sand shots and was happy with the work done there.

A lesson may be in order later this week to sort out why my full swing has lost some mojo.

Rough day at the range. Hit some good shots but also hit some true shanks. The swing just isn't feeling very together right now.

However, I moved over to the short game area and worked on my pitches and sand shots and was happy with the work done there.

A lesson may be in order later this week to sort out why my full swing has lost some mojo.

Get that headcover on the opposite side of the ball and avoid hitting it buddy! S***** are the worst!!

Didn't range today, however, had a great chance to mess around greenside in the deep rough. I absolutely love flop shots in deep rough with tight lies. So much fun.

After watching the Haney show last night I am even more interested in a playing lesson. I've been dragging my feet a bit on it, but once I get the money I'm doing it. Instructor has suggested it many times. Hoping that I can get a little help with ways to relieve some tension, as well as course management.

Another morning session before work...worked on short game. Worked with a 30 yard pitch. Trying to bring it in low, one hop and stop. Found the right combo of club and ball placement. Then moved up to the green to work on chipping. Really focused mainly on greenside chips from the short stuff. Hitting both long and short pins. Most of the focus was getting the ball inside a 3 foot square. With the hole in the middle. Found some good things there. All told I hit about 240-260 shots in about a 2 and half hour period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back