The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could spend a half day at the short game area man. I worked all winter on the swing and I'm glad to be able to hit some shorties at the moment. Paid off today a few times, though I still need some more practice. The 7:30 has been a big one for me lately. It's my go-to in the wind. I play the ball back a couple inches and get a low ball that spins really hard. I use it all the way down to the 7 iron if need be. Put a little PW in there to a foot today from 70 yards.

Very nice dude. I plan on getting there. 1 month of 50 shots every day. Throw in the mirror work and I will have it down. That is the plan anyway.

I've been thinking about a little mirror time for the full swing. I don't want to mess with the Pelz swing though, even if I'm farther back than I think I am. I have just about every distance I need covered with different trajectories. Overanalyzing it will be a sure fire way to send my wedge game straight the crapper. The danger of being a non-stop thinker :\

The range today was good. Went there and did nothing but work on shots from 65 yards and 45 yards. The goal was to hit the shot both high and low and it was a lot of fun. Gave me a chance to work on flighting the ball a bit and get some work with the new wedges.

It also gave me a chance to let me work on the early part of my takeaway as my instructor has me doing and while it was a rough go at the beginning, it got better fast. Im looking forward to really diving into dialing in every single distance inside of 100 yards through multiple shots and ball flights this summer.

I'm struggling with some ups and downs at the moment. When I feel like I have one thing working something else goes wrong.

My last session at the range started out solid, but was then plagued by painfully thin shots. The setback was frustrating, which compounded the problem.

I think working some drills may have gotten things worked out, but I'll have to wait and see

Last edited:
I had a crappy range session yesterday. My mouth was killing (still beats having cancer) me and my back was sore from moving firewood all am. I was flailing at ball and just was getting frustrated. Finally just hit some half wedges and started to come around a bit. Still worst I have had in a while...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My alignment is still terrible and I think it results in bad swings. Sounds like a poor excuse, but I do have a reason for saying that. Depending on which way I am aiming, I either set up too open or too closed (or even a combo of both between my shoulders and feet). The results I see in those situations seem to back that up.

So, I got an idea to try today. I'm going to play a practice nine holes and lay down an alignment stick when I hit the ball. Hoping that it gives me the ability to remember the feeling of setting up square to targets that aren't directly in front of me.

Saw a drill Michael Breed was doing using two clubs, one in each hand, where you simulate your golf swing. He said it was a good tempo drill and I was intrigued, so I tried it out in my back yard.
I immediately noticed that during my initial takeaway, the club in my right hand (I am RH) was flying back while the one in my left had barely moved 6 inches. Worked for awhile on making both clubs come back evenly on the takeaway, and realized that this was a totally different feel than what I am used to doing.
Went to the range yesterday, and tried to duplicate that feeling of letting my left hand/arm take the club back instead of the right. Was amazed at the results. I felt like I was in a much better position at the top of my swing, and could just fire down through at the ball in a much more "natural" motion.
Worked well on all my clubs, from wedge on up to driver. Consistent baby draws on all.
I'm guessing that I was "sucking the club back inside" on my takeaway/backswing by being right arm dominant? I'm not sure, I just know that it felt different, felt better, and I'm going to try to get that feeling ingrained in my swing from here on out.

That's a good idea Hawk. It will certainly focus you what you should be feeling when having a more specific target than just the pin in the middle of the range green.

got up about 730 this morning and headed over to the short game area for about an hour and half or so of short game work. Worked on uphill short side pitches, uphill bump and run chips to a short pin, up hill chips from the rough and spent a good amount of time in the bunker. I'm getting really good at raking a bunker...not so good getting out of them. But its getting better. I seem to either enter to close to the ball and blade the thing over the green or to early and fat it over the lip. But I seemed to finding something towards the end where I got it just a little forward of center and just barely opened the face of my 56* and seemed to be finding a little more success...so we'll see how it plays out over the next few sessions..

Had about an hour at the range tonight. Nothing spectacular to report. Hit a lot of good wedges and 7-irons and spent a half-hour on putting. Pretty happy with it all.

After a poor showing at my men's league Sat I decided to hit the range for a couple hours this morning. I hit a bucket and a half with irons and wedges and then finished off with woods and hybrids. After that second bucket was finished I went over and worked on chips and approaches for another half hour. All in all I was really happy with the work I put in.

Range session was mostly crap, so I called it a night early. Driver was good. Irons were blah, lots of toe-balls. Coming too far from the inside again. They look pretty, but feel like crap and fly shorter than I'd like.

Hit up the putting green instead and played up and down with a wedge and putter. That went fine.

After my poor game at the weekend I could do with hitting the range and working with the 3W again as I was struggling with it off the tee, but the 5W was hitting lovely shots so it has got to be my setup....might try and head over tomorrow after work if I get enough interview prep sorted tonight

Been working on the my shot from 100 yards in, hit two buckets last night trying dial in my distances with the 60 degree.

I had what is starting to become a typical range session for me. My first 15-20 swings are really good, solid moves. After that, I start getting loose (I suspect by over-swinging), and then I spend the rest of the session trying to get back to where I was at the start. Today, I felt like I was able to make a repeatable, effective swing at the end of the session, which is an accomplishment.

I am really trying to focus on turning my torso instead of letting my arms swing around my body. The shanks start to come out when I do the latter. I also now realize that I was setting up with the ball slightly towards the heel, which didn't help in the shank department, either. When I turn my toro and feel like I'm staying connected, good things happen.

I am also trying to make sure that I keep a solid base with consistent knee flex. Today, I found myself straightening my legs at the top of my swing and lunging back to the ball. Not a good move at all. When I think about a consistent knee flex, it really makes me feel solid and stable. Doing that while turning my torso makes for a really nice pass at the ball. Much more power generated even though it doesn't feel like it.

Finally, I am trying to focus on not over-swinging and not getting too fast with my tempo, especially on the takeaway. If I take a smooth, slowish takeaway and take what feels like a 3/4 swing, everything stays on plane, and I make a good pass. If I get too quick, my wrists break down and I flip the club inside (no bueno). If I over-swing, I get off plane and typically get too upright and laid off (also no bueno).

If anyone has anymore swing thoughts that I can work on, I think I have room for one or two more while I swing -- good grief.

Sounds like you are putting in some good work for the Grandaddy there ATL.

TapAhoy!

ATL, I also struggle with straightening my legs as a result of raising my upper body in the takeaway and losing my spine angle. What helped me big time (and its my only swing thought) is to point the lead shoulder down and under my chin on the takeaway. I'm a righty so the lead is my left shoulder. There's no way I can straighten my legs nor lose my spine angle by doing that move. Its rough on the lower back at first so Ive had to work on stretching. Hope this helps.

ATL, I also struggle with straightening my legs as a result of raising my upper body in the takeaway and losing my spine angle. What helped me big time (and its my only swing thought) is to point the lead shoulder down and under my chin on the takeaway. I'm a righty so the lead is my left shoulder. There's no way I can straighten my legs nor lose my spine angle by doing that move. Its rough on the lower back at first so Ive had to work on stretching. Hope this helps.

That's a pretty good swing thought. The problem for me, though, is that I had a tendency of "dipping" my left shoulder instead of turning it back, which gets everything out of plane. For me, thinking about pointing my left shoulder down may lead to some bad results.

Sounds like you are putting in some good work for the Grandaddy there ATL.

TapAhoy!

Right now, I'm just trying to avoid shanking the ball around in Cincinnati this weekend. But, the Grandaddy is always on my mind.

Interesting day today.

Had a playing lesson with my pro. It went just OK. Made some good shots and some bad shots. My pro gave me some tips on how I think about my approach shots. It mainly involved using the terrain to my advantage, which I don't do nearly as well as I should.

However, after the lesson I took something else he had said to the range. He had talked about maximizing the efficiency of my swing. So I spent the range session working on making the most efficient swing I possibly could. I think I'm on to something. It's clear my previous huge gyrations were not only not buying me anything, but in fact were largely responsible for why I hadn't made any progress.

Pretty exciting stuff.

got out to the chip and putt today and worked on my pelz system some more and got some time in practicing my putting after my round. was draining some nice putts. i think being properly fit is helping me set up better over the ball and i saw more putts rolling in the center of the hole instead of off the sides.

Well I have chucked a couple clubs in the back of the car this morning, so hoping to hit the range after work to work on my setup with the 3W and figure out why I was hitting it so bad at the weekend....knowing my luck I will hit every ball absolutely perfect down the range with it....

I feel like I have no time to practice anymore. Lame! I've been able to squeeze in about 15-20 minutes of putting most days though.

I feel like I have no time to practice anymore. Lame! I've been able to squeeze in about 15-20 minutes of putting most days though.

As the captain of the #Grandaddy team you should hang your head in shame.....what sort of example is that to show the troops....?

Joking aside, there are times when it can be tough to get the time to practice - my badminton season is now finished but I am still going to make a conscious effort to hit the range at least once a week still

Man, it's rough. Before the 2nd baby came I was practicing 5-6 days a week. Now I'm down to a couple times with a weekend round.

Man, it's rough. Before the 2nd baby came I was practicing 5-6 days a week. Now I'm down to a couple times with a weekend round.

To use a golfing quote - the smallest changes can make such a big difference.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back