What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I recently compared the 2012 Q-star, the 2013 Q-star and the Titleist NXT Tour in a 9 hole practice round where I played all 3 balls off the tee. Scores were as follows:
'12 Q Star - 44
'13 Q Star - 47
NXT Tour - 41

I actually like the '13 Q-star better around the green than the '12 but I find the '12 to be way less spinny off the driver face for some reason. I threw two of the '13 Q-stars OB off the tee because they moved right to left way more than intended. Probably a coincidence but those were my only 2 lousy outcomes with the driver all day. So far I still like the 2012 Q-star better than the 2013 in general but I'll keep comparing.

The NXT-Tour is now my go to ball. Great off the driver, awesome off the irons, and although they are no ProV1 I found them to be better (more predictable) around the green than either Q-star.

I recently compared the 2012 Q-star, the 2013 Q-star and the Titleist NXT Tour in a 9 hole practice round where I played all 3 balls off the tee. Scores were as follows:
'12 Q Star - 44
'13 Q Star - 47
NXT Tour - 41

I actually like the '13 Q-star better around the green than the '12 but I find the '12 to be way less spinny off the driver face for some reason. I threw two of the '13 Q-stars OB off the tee because they moved right to left way more than intended. Probably a coincidence but those were my only 2 lousy outcomes with the driver all day. So far I still like the 2012 Q-star better than the 2013 in general but I'll keep comparing.

The NXT-Tour is now my go to ball. Great off the driver, awesome off the irons, and although they are no ProV1 I found them to be better (more predictable) around the green than either Q-star.

how would you compare the 13 Q star to the nxt tour around the greens, specifically on spin and how they acted when hitting the green on both full shots and chips/pitches?

I played a round with Wilson Duo's today. They are a decent performing ball for a great price and I've been having driver issues and losing some tee balls so I went back to a cheaper ball for the moment. As usual the ball performed great as a distance ball and off the putter, nice high flight on the irons, straight from the driver with mostly easy fades or straight shots ranging form 235-255 with one crushed hook (for me) that GPS'd 263. I hit it well with the long irons as well BUT I can't get the ball to stop on the green. I only hit 4 GIR today and should have been double that at least. I can think of 4 shots withing 100-120 that landed center of the green and just bounced and rolled off the back side.

Were I playing my usual E5's or RX's, those shots would have stuck. Something I have to learn to play with though for a while until I can stop spraying my drives randomly wayyyyyy left out of the blue because I can deal with 1 lost ball a round, maybe even 2 on a bad day but somehow I've started losing half a box on some rounds because I can't control my lefties.

Shame, I played a power fade forever that was very predictable and worked to make it a draw and I took it too far. Now if I try to play my fade again I slice it 50 yards off line so more lessons here we come hahahaha.

Bridgestone 330rx...will never use another ball....ever, amazing all around ball for my game.

I have been playing the Hex Black for some time, just got some X Outs from Callaway Pre-Owned for pretty cheap. I also picked up some Chrome+ I am trying next week and also bought a dozen Lethal to sample from the 'bay.

Prov1x always go back to this ball.....love the spin and distance

Prov1x always go back to this ball.....love the spin and distance

This also, but I always try to find cheaper. Right now Im on a NXT tour kick. It has not been a bad ball at all, I just need to get my swing under control this spring.

ProV1 great distance and spin on the greens. Expensive but I have yet to find anything that comes close for less $$. Taylormade LDP blacks, Penta TP3 are the cheapest distance spin balls I have found so far. Nothing compares to a ProV1 in my mind yet.

Hey bust.... I tried the chrome+ the other day and I was quite impressed with them. These balls just want to go straight, it was a little hard to work them but the spin on greens was really nice. I was able to back them up with no problem and the durability is good too. If I ever need a little cheaper ball I will definitely go to these.

I will have to try them Judge. I use to love the HX Hot Plus a couple years ago but of course marketing makes them change names every year ha.

TM Lethal. I really like these a lot! I've played them my last two rounds now and I've found everything I look for- distance, feel, spin on wedges, and feel with the putter. I'm able to get them for $30/dozen, so I can't find ANY reason to play another ball.

I've been on a bstone kick for the last year but recently received some pro-v's and have been loving the results.

how would you compare the 13 Q star to the nxt tour around the greens, specifically on spin and how they acted when hitting the green on both full shots and chips/pitches?

I liked the NXT Tour a little better in all these categories. I didn't notice a big difference in spin between the two but I found that the NXT Tour is easier to hit a consistent distance when chipping/pitching. The Q-star seems to 'jump' off the face a little differently each time (I have no idea why...maybe because it's so soft?) making me a little more inconsistent with it. They have a very different feel on full shots with the NXT Tour being more of a 'ProV1-ish' click and the Q-star feeling soft as a marshmallow. The marshmallow effect makes almost every shot feel nice and soft but that same softness makes it harder to judge short chips and pitches.
Both great balls and the price of the Q-star makes it hard to pass up, but there is something about the NXT - Tour that really works for me right now.

Back to my ProV1x (2012 for 9 holes and 2013 for 9) and man I love that ball. I did notice the cover lasted longer with the newer model. I peeled the cover off with wedge shots on the 2012 model but the newer one seemed a tad bit more durable

Tapa Slice

I played with the Nike 20XIs and boy did I pay. I was playing well and on the 17th Par 5 Hit Driver 3 Wood and 52 Wedge in and Spun off the front of the green. Turned Birdie Opportunity in a Bogey. Gotta get my ups and Downs in check. Overall I love my 20XI balls

Nike Vapor Black - my second round out on the course in over 2 years. Wanted something good without worrying if I lost a couple. Ended up shooting a 79 and am happy overall with the ball. I have been taking lessons and hitting the range often, so I wasn't cold heading out on the course after a long time.

I played a Titliest NXT they are my go to balls when I don't feel like losing any ProV's. Love them, feel and play like a poor mans ProV IMO.

I did hit a Wilson Duo. And for the 2 shots I played it before it went in the drink (water levels are WAY UP here in Northern Indiana, so water was more a problem than normal) it played really well. Might have to look into these a little more.

Played my first round with a blemished Wilson Tour FG ball. Shot a sloppy 78 with 2 three putts. Very solid golf ball. Looking forward to playing another round with the FG Tour. At $19.99 a dozen for blemished balls I may be stocking up on these. Not sure they will kick the TM Lethal out of the bag but after my first round I will say I will purchasing another dozen.

I found what appeared to be a once-hit ProV1x today and although I really dislike their marketing ideology, I gave it a whirl (I normally pass them off to a buddy, but he wasn't there).

I'm obviously no Titleist snob, nor do I know anything about their ball production, but this had to be a new 2013 model, if there is such a thing. I have whacked around my share of ProV balls, but this thing actually didn't make me want to hit it in a lake out of spite.

The ball had good feel, did what I wanted it to do, and actually took a couple good shots off of trees and held up pretty well.
I was surprised.

Will I switch to V1x's?? Heck no, not a chance. But I really didn't mind playing it today.

I played the Q-Star this winter, in Colorado, great ball in the colder weather, but my go to ball is the Chrome Yellow - same distance as the Pro V1, good feel and the most durable cover of any high quality ball I've played. Will try the Chrome + when I run out of these, but can't find anything else as good for the price,.

I picked up some more Taylormade pentas 2011 models I believe for $14.00 bucks. These are practice balls, but seem to work perfectly maybe with some blemish on the graphics. I have had good luck playing these and they feel great off the irons. Premium golf balls at this price is a steal,even Titleist x-outs cost $30.00. I still prefer prov1x, but at this price I will keep putting these in play.

What's the scoop on the RBZ urethane... Where's it fit with the tp3?

It's been so long since I've played, I'm not sure I remember which ball I used!

What's the scoop on the RBZ urethane... Where's it fit with the tp3?

I've only played the RBZ urethane once, but to me it was very similar to the tp3 off the tee and in between the tp3 and tp5 as far as green side performance goes

Tapa Slice

Played 1 ball the entire round today (yes, I'm as shocked as my golfing buddies were). ProV1x X-out that I had found during a round last week. Looked brand new to start, just a few minor scuffs after a solid 18. Super happy with the durability and amazing feel around the greens and off the tee. I do not know what makes a particular ball an X-out, but this one seemed fine to me!

Back