Ping K15 Irons & Hybrids

40th birthday coming, wife asking me what I want other than the extended weekend trip we planned. Since she can't make me 23 or allow me an early retirement I have been thinking of putting together a killer golf bag. My approach to golf of having quality misses makes these clubs look very nice. I do like that the set can be ordered in different configurations. Can order all the way up to 6H and no price change. Having a seamless bag without mismatched woods and hybrids and irons and wedges and driver is appealing to me in a way. Plus, Ping's custom shop is top notch and relatively affordable. That's the added value of Ping IMO. I'll be taking a good look at these.

I would love too see a review of these clubs. I have yet to hit the irons but I did demo both the g15 and k15 hybrids and was surprisingly not impressed. The clubs look goofy and I think it may have affected my overall approach to them when it came to striking the ball. I did however demo the k15 fw and that thing rocks. Would like to see a THP review on these bad boys.

I would love too see a review of these clubs. I have yet to hit the irons but I did demo both the g15 and k15 hybrids and was surprisingly not impressed. The clubs look goofy and I think it may have affected my overall approach to them when it came to striking the ball. I did however demo the k15 fw and that thing rocks. Would like to see a THP review on these bad boys.

Check out the Ping demo day thread from the outing last year. Every golfer that tried them out wrote a review on them.

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because this seems like the most official K15 thread. I figure there might be some residual interest out there among high handicappers, Ping fans or people who cannot afford or do not want the depreciation associated with this year's models.

I'd always liked the way these looked in the stores. I always had sticker shock, so I'd never even hit them. Part of me just didn't even want to know how good they might be.

About 6 weeks ago, I stumbled across a good buy on a set of steel shafted K15 irons that was listed in like new condition. They were at a certified, high volume, reputable reseller that many on here routinely buy from. While I wasn't in the market for irons, I decided to pull the trigger on an impulse buy because of the price, condition, and the fact that they were exactly the irons I would ultimately game (wasn't paying for clubs I wouldn't ultimately use).

They showed up and looked like they'd never been hit. I suspect they sat on some shop floor and maybe were taped up from time to time. I was immediately excited!

I've tried and owned a lot of SGI sets made in the past few years, yet the K15s have stood out. Over a series of range sessions, they pushed out a set of SGI clubs that I was extremely happy with. More than any other set that I've owned (including all hybrid sets like the HB3/XLI or high end sets like the XFs), this is the one that gives me the most confidence standing over the ball.

Just take a nice and easy swing and you will be rewarded with a high, straight ball flight (and this is coming from a career slicer). There's a healthy dose of offset, so if anything, my miss is now a small pull. Once the ball is in the air though, there is very, very little side spin.

Mishits also are surprisingly consistent distance wise. I've had quite a number of swings (sadly the life of a high handicapper) where I felt like the ball "wasn't going to make it" and yet it somehow did. I'm skeptical of marketing, but think there may be something to Ping's claim that the TI face wasn't made to have a hot spot (and thus provide max distance), but instead was designed to provide consistent ball speeds across the face. If you are a hack like me, it is nice to be rewarded with a ball that will travel about the same distance where ever you hit it on the face.

If you are in the market for a SGI club and don't mind something a little older, this is a fantastic iron set. Admittedly the prices are still up there, but this is one instance where you seemingly get what you pay for. I suspect the finish will last a long, long time. It is also a set that will make the game more fun.

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because this seems like the most official K15 thread. I figure there might be some residual interest out there among high handicappers, Ping fans or people who cannot afford or do not want the depreciation associated with this year's models.

I'd always liked the way these looked in the stores. I always had sticker shock, so I'd never even hit them. Part of me just didn't even want to know how good they might be.

About 6 weeks ago, I stumbled across a good buy on a set of steel shafted K15 irons that was listed in like new condition. They were at a certified, high volume, reputable reseller that many on here routinely buy from. While I wasn't in the market for irons, I decided to pull the trigger on an impulse buy because of the price, condition, and the fact that they were exactly the irons I would ultimately game (wasn't paying for clubs I wouldn't ultimately use).

They showed up and looked like they'd never been hit. I suspect they sat on some shop floor and maybe were taped up from time to time. I was immediately excited!

I've tried and owned a lot of SGI sets made in the past few years, yet the K15s have stood out. Over a series of range sessions, they pushed out a set of SGI clubs that I was extremely happy with. More than any other set that I've owned (including all hybrid sets like the HB3/XLI or high end sets like the XFs), this is the one that gives me the most confidence standing over the ball.

Just take a nice and easy swing and you will be rewarded with a high, straight ball flight (and this is coming from a career slicer). There's a healthy dose of offset, so if anything, my miss is now a small pull. Once the ball is in the air though, there is very, very little side spin.

Mishits also are surprisingly consistent distance wise. I've had quite a number of swings (sadly the life of a high handicapper) where I felt like the ball "wasn't going to make it" and yet it somehow did. I'm skeptical of marketing, but think there may be something to Ping's claim that the TI face wasn't made to have a hot spot (and thus provide max distance), but instead was designed to provide consistent ball speeds across the face. If you are a hack like me, it is nice to be rewarded with a ball that will travel about the same distance where ever you hit it on the face.

If you are in the market for a SGI club and don't mind something a little older, this is a fantastic iron set. Admittedly the prices are still up there, but this is one instance where you seemingly get what you pay for. I suspect the finish will last a long, long time. It is also a set that will make the game more fun.
Cool deal Ryebread. I had a one night stand a couple of weeks ago with the k15's and liked them alot. I eventually traded them in for the Alts. I really didn't give them a fair shot. Glad to hear you are enjoing them. I'm thinking of giving the driver a go. Good luck

Great ryebread, it looks like you have found your irons.................for now!
he he he just kidding. I'm sure you will try a set of Altitudes either late this year or early next.
I really think it can only help if you can keep your bag somewhat stable for a season.
Good Luck

Anyone like Ping irons? I just never can bring myself to stare down at the ugly heads they always have. I like traditional blades

I love mine and have no plan to sell them anytime soon. Looking for a smaller headed driver but other than that, the K15's are the best clubs throughout the bag I've ever owned, and in 35+ years of playing, I've owned a bunch. BTW, these are still current clubs at Ping for this line.

Great ryebread, it looks like you have found your irons.................for now!
I really think it can only help if you can keep your bag somewhat stable for a season.

You seemingly know me better than me regarding swapping.

I would definitely agree with this second statement.

Cool deal Ryebread. I had a one night stand a couple of weeks ago with the k15's and liked them alot. I eventually traded them in for the Alts. I really didn't give them a fair shot. Glad to hear you are enjoing them. I'm thinking of giving the driver a go. Good luck

twoods: Thanks! You know I'm a big fan of yours. :bashful:

I would say that the grips on the K15s aren't as good as some others I'd played. Mine are better once I cleaned them (maybe had some shop dust or oils from peoples' hands from where they picked them up in the store), but they're still not great. I'm not sure whether you were impacted in any way by that. Regardless, as good as you seem to hit the Altitudes, it seems like you made the right decision.

The K15 driver is a good performer. I've owned 18 drivers over the past 2 years and it was in the top 2 with my current gamer. Make sure you get the right shaft and loft as I did not and had some ballooning problems due to the fact that I hit the driver on an ascending swing path. With the right shaft and loft combo, I'd probably still be playing the K15.

I would say that the grips on the K15s aren't as good as some others I'd played. Mine are better once I cleaned them (maybe had some shop dust or oils from peoples' hands from where they picked them up in the store), but they're still not great. I'm not sure whether you were impacted in any way by that. Regardless, as good as you seem to hit the Altitudes, it seems like you made the right decision.

The K15 driver is a good performer. I've owned 18 drivers over the past 2 years and it was in the top 2 with my current gamer. Make sure you get the right shaft and loft as I did not and had some ballooning problems due to the fact that I hit the driver on an ascending swing path. With the right shaft and loft combo, I'd probably still be playing the K15.

Just picked up a used k15 from Golfsmith last night. Looking forward to hitting this and trying it out. Its funny I have hit every ping driver going back to the Tisi Techs but somehow never had the opportunity to try this model out. I propably would not have thought about it unless I tried the k15 irons and hybrids. I may even try the woods. Have you hit them?

Just picked up a used k15 from Golfsmith last night. Looking forward to hitting this and trying it out. Its funny I have hit every ping driver going back to the Tisi Techs but somehow never had the opportunity to try this model out. I propably would not have thought about it unless I tried the k15 irons and hybrids. I may even try the woods. Have you hit them?

I miss my K15... I felt like you could point to a 10 foot window in the fairway and I could hit it every time. It was a super straight driver and I still keep my eyes out for one in the used bin everywhere I go.

I miss my K15... I felt like you could point to a 10 foot window in the fairway and I could hit it every time. It was a super straight driver and I still keep my eyes out for one in the used bin everywhere I go.

Cally Preowned has some in stock but they are in average condition. I'm hoping to get a little more height with the 10.5 degree head. I went with the stiff shaft because I heard the stock shafts lean towards the soft side and my swing speed is between reg. and stiff. I heard these things really get the ball up in a hurry.

Hey Ryebread, if you get a chance, I would pick up the matching gap wedge. I really enjoyed using it from about 20 to 80 yards out from the fairway. I also enjoyed the hybrids. I could really sling (hook) them in their when the shot called for it. Very hard for me to hit straight or fade though. This was propably the main reason why I traded them in for the Alts. And Golfsmith was offering the 50% trade in bonus for new irons, I just couldn't pass them up. The stock grips that came on my k15's were in very good shape, very tacky but a little rough.

twoods: I liked the K15 driver and would echo what sliceapotomus said about the accuracy of that club. My K15 admittedly was cut down to 44.75" and that might have had something to do with it, but I literally felt like I could draw about a 25 yard diameter circle and drop it in there about every time. I've never hit a more accurate driver. It was the driver that eliminated OB for me which is an accomplishment for a high handicapper.

The problem for me was the shaft and loft (10.5/regular TFC149). Mine just ballooned like crazy. I was getting outdriven by playing partners who were actually worse at in that facet of the game. I don't really have ego when it comes to golf, but being 10-20 yards back off the tee every time just puts more stress on the second shot. I'd have a beautiful swing (for my handicap level), hit dead in the center of the face, watch the ball go straight out, shoot up in a hurry and just fall out of the sky. I was getting out driven by guys who were hitting these low line drives with lots of roll out. We'd agree that they didn't deserve better results based on the shot hit, but it didn't soften the blow much when I was hitting first on the next turn.

My current gamer is not as accurate as the K15 even when I choke up. With a better matching shaft for my swing, it is a legit 20 yards worth of carry longer. It is a trade off that I am willing to make. It does underscore the importance of fitment. With the right shaft and loft, that K15 driver would probably still be in the bag.

I will admit that I hated the sound and feel of the K15 driver. It sounded like I was crushing and aluminium can every time I hit it and the feel was very hollow (almost flimsy). Those were the things that gave me "wandering eyes" that let something else creep in. While I owned the K15, I kept trying other drivers because I disliked the sound and feel of the K15. Eventually one kicked it out (Diablo Octane IMIX paired with a Proforce V2) because it offered similar performance with vastly superior aesthetics. That driver was ultimately too shallow and I ended up where I'm at now.

As for the GW on the K15, I'm ironically happy that I don't have it. The Niblick 49 is the oldest club in my bag. By not having the K15 GW, that forces me to put the Niblick 49 in as a GW. If I had the K15 GW, I'd go back and forth between the two and miss the Niblick 49 every time it wasn't in the bag. I had this problem on my last iron set. The matching GW in the set was probably better for full swings (as I still occasionally blade the Niblick), but the Niblick was worlds better for pitching and thus for my scores. I'd try the matching GW and then regret not having the Niblick any time I needed to pitch. This removes some options and simplifies things.

I've not tried the K15 hybrids. I'm currently happy with my current hybrids. Should they one day stop performing, maybe I'll try the K15s. People seem to have a love/hate relationship with them. It sounds like you fell in the hate camp.

Thanks for the feedback Ryebread. I actually got out to play 6 holes with the k15 today and hit 5 of 5 of the fairways. Although none of the drives were monsters, I am still nursing a sore back, they were about on par with where I am currently hitting my burner. I do like the way this club sets up and actually enjoyed the sound at impact. The face felt very lively and I think the stiff shaft helped to keep my hook under control. I basically played a strong draw for every tee ball. Hopefully my back will get better and I can try to go after a couple with some more aggressive swings. I am very happy with my initial results from this driver and will give it a couple of more tries before deciding to keep it or take it back to Golfsmith for 90% credit towards something else.
As for the hybrids, I wouldn't say I fell in the hate department with them, I just had to aim way right and hit about a 30 yard hook every time I hit them. They were kind of a one trick pony for me. They really kind of created some alignment issues for me with my other clubs. I found myself aiming too far right to overcompensate and either leave my ball out to the right or over cook my draw by pulling across the ball. I thought they were really solid and like I said propably didn't give them much of a chance to stay in the bag because I really wanted to get the Alts. I'm glad you are enjoying your k15's. I thought they were really good irons and you can really find some good deals on these now. Definately worth looking into if you want a forgiving, high launching, slice fighting iron.

I have the K15 Driver in the TFC149 R Flex shaft which I don't think is stout enough for my swing at this point. I'm debating heading to Golfsmith and having a new shaft installed; was curious if anyone had any recommendations? Based off of what I've read on the shaft replacement thread and Golfworks website, I'm considering Grafalloy Prolaunch 65g Blue S Flex, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 65g S Flex, or the Aldila NV 65 S flex. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to read it.

I have the K15 Driver in the TFC149 R Flex shaft which I don't think is stout enough for my swing at this point. I'm debating heading to Golfsmith and having a new shaft installed; was curious if anyone had any recommendations? Based off of what I've read on the shaft replacement thread and Golfworks website, I'm considering Grafalloy Prolaunch 65g Blue S Flex, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 65g S Flex, or the Aldila NV 65 S flex. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to read it.

Rickterp, unfortunately I am pretty ignorant when it comes to shaft replacements. I usually just play the stock shafts that come with the club. Let us know what you choose and how it performs. I'm sure there are many guys on this website who could offer some expert advise

rickterp: I've owned all three of those shafts, but on different heads, so it is hard to give a true apples to apples comparison.

Your swing speed is decently high based on what I remember of your yardages. I'm worried that those other ones might not hold up as well. I don't know anything about your swing outside of speed, so other factors like transition, launch angle, the natural spin you create, etc. come into play. A professional with a monitor will be able to help you much better than I can.

You may want to look at the Proforce V2 76. It's a fairly stiff shaft (even in regular flex), low launching and low torque. I personally have had good luck with that one and feel like it would have been good with the K15 head. That might hold up to your swing better than those lighter shafts.

rickterp: I've owned all three of those shafts, but on different heads, so it is hard to give a true apples to apples comparison.

Your swing speed is decently high based on what I remember of your yardages. I'm worried that those other ones might not hold up as well. I don't know anything about your swing outside of speed, so other factors like transition, launch angle, the natural spin you create, etc. come into play. A professional with a monitor will be able to help you much better than I can.

You may want to look at the Proforce V2 76. It's a fairly stiff shaft (even in regular flex), low launching and low torque. I personally have had good luck with that one and feel like it would have been good with the K15 head. That might hold up to your swing better than those lighter shafts.

Thanks ryebread. I really like the weight of my K15 so I was looking at shafts that were within 5-10 grams of it in a stiffer flex. I'll probably schedule a driver fitting at golfsmith and see where my spec's are since I have no idea.

And my K15 snapped off clean at the ferrule today! So I will definitely be re-shafting it if possible! Clubhead appears to be fine.

rickterp: That kind of forced that decision, huh? Let us know what shaft you put in it.

And back to the irons and the general thread, I've been spending some range time with them lately and they just flat out perform. Last night I was on a grass range with some thin lies (which I sometimes struggle with). I was just throwing darts at the flags at 105 and 145. I hit a couple poorly, but the vast majority of my irons were shots I'd have been very happy with on the course. These are easy irons to hit straight, and lateral mishits do far better than is deserved.

Last edited:
I've played 3 full rounds with K15s and one of those was a scramble. In both of the individual rounds, I've broken my personal best (and smashed a personal best on a harder course that I don't play often). In the scramble, my iron shots (both flying into greens and just ball advancement for positioning) were much better than my handicap level would suggest.

I'm playing a little bit smarter and managing the course better, so that is definitely helping the scores drop. At the same time, the ball striking with my irons is better than it is has ever been and that is taking some of the pressure off of my short game. I've still got a long ways to go, but I have been getting compliments from better players that "it looks like your swing is well sorted."

I've played 3 full rounds with K15s and one of those was a scramble. In both of the individual rounds, I've broken my personal best (and smashed a personal best on a harder course that I don't play often). In the scramble, my iron shots (both flying into greens and just ball advancement for positioning) were much better than my handicap level would suggest.

I'm playing a little bit smarter and managing the course better, so that is definitely helping the scores drop. At the same time, the ball striking with my irons is better than it is has ever been and that is taking some of the pressure off of my short game. I've still got a long ways to go, but I have been getting compliments from better players that "it looks like your swing is well sorted."

Congrats on your success ryebread, so it looks like your handicap will be coming down from googolplex!:clapp:

Back