Worst Golf Course You Have Ever Played

Spring Bayou Golf Course in Marksville, LA! Horrible!

Maple Ridge G.C. (now closed) in Sewell, NJ, where I'm from. Really a good, tough layout, but fell into disrepair after Ron Jaworski sold it (used to be called Eagle's Nest). I've lost balls IN the fairway, as in, under the ground, because they couldn't figure the drainage out. A real shame, because the design was really solid. It's just overgrown parkland now...sad, but I can't say I miss playing there as it was in recent years.

between that and cobbs creek, i never take philly courses seriously.

I played the Karakung Course at Cobb's Creek back in 2007. The fairways were just closely mowed weeds, assuming anything was growing in the space between the tees or greens. I don't think many greens had much grass, either. Terrible conditions.

Hodja Lakes Golf Course on Incirlik Air Base, Adana, Turkey.
http://binged.it/1021Ejv

The year was 1989 and before the base became a real Forward Operating Base during Desert Storm. When I was there, it was just a place to set up shop and fly around in the deserts and play games with the Turkish Air Force as well as shoot at drone targets with the 20mm aircraft guns. The base was barely a real base and the golf course proved to be of simliar quality. The post earlier about GITMO's course is very similar to the course on Incirlik.
Back then, and judging by the satelite photos still to this day, the fairways had barely a blade of grass on them. You could top a drive and it would worm-burn to about 220 just by rolling across the barren wasteland of the supposed fairways. The bunkers had not had fresh sand in them in about two years and the greens looked like a herd of woodland creatures had trampled them. Everything there was hard as a rock so you had to hit SW from 140 because it would land at 80 and bounce/roll its way to the green.
Right smack in the middle of the course, I SWEAR this to be true, there was an anti-aircraft gun battery set up pointing southeast towards Syria. One of our guys duck-hooked one that went careening into the side of this thing and we all thought we'd get shot. The Turkish personnel occupying the guns just laughed and threw the ball back. I still have some old 35mm snaps from that outing and the amount of Efes Pilsner was substantial enough that we still had fun. Luckily, there was also a miniature golf course on the other side of the base that proved to be even more fun, so we stuck to putting the rest of the trip.

between that and cobbs creek, i never take philly courses seriously.

Yeah the public courses in Philadelphia proper are in dire condition. Cobbs Creek Olde is a great design that needs to be restored. There is an organization that is dedicated to restoring it to its original design and has Gil Hanse involved, so hopefully that leads to something.

Gunpowder golf in Laurel, Md. sprinklers in the middle of the greens, greens slower than a wheat field, and lots of great hard dirt to hit off of. A real gem!

Caseville Golf Course. 100% weeds mowed a little shorter to be a "fairway," and cheap crappy grass mowed even shorter to be a "green." Uneven tees, stupid layout, and overpriced.

Newbold comyn, The fairways on the front 9 have furrows (imaging corrugated iron)the full length of them so a good drive still gives you a bad lay. The ball is either way above your feet or below. Then there is cardiac hill it must be a 20 yard high hill and its steep!!! If you dont drive over it the ball rolls right back to you. I just hated it.

Hampton Hills, Plymouth MN, this dump was cheap so my wife and I went for a sunset round. They send us off the back say there are leagues on the front, we are one of three cars in the lot and I'm thinking where are they all? Tee off and my ball dribbles over the back edge (par 3) as we near the green a guy walks over and picks up my ball puts it in his bag and drops a different one from his pocket over by the green they are playing. I say excuse me that was my ball you just picked up, guy goes ballistic, one of his partners tells him to give me my ball back, another tells me to get out of their way or else. Well this isn't worth it over a ball, so move on. We get three holes out and there are weeds as far as the eye can see and I'm thinking never again, just then the sprinklers come one and the only car besides ours races out of the parking lot, there is no way to play anymore as water is flying everywhere. I was so pissed I called the next day and discussed the situation with the "pro", he could care less that we only played two complete holes before getting watered down and basically said that is the gamble you take with sunset rates. It is currently getting houses built on the property and there is only hole left that you can find on google maps. It was a great piece of land for golf too bad they didn't keep up on the maintenence.

I won't call the course out as it's a small town and I'd hate for the course to get bad reviews, but from bad service to bad course conditions to bad carts to super small greens it made for a long day that I haven't been back to yet!

Worst Course ever...

Worst Course ever...

I decided to join a friend yesterday and as I pulled up and stepped out of my vehicle I realized I was on the absolute worst course I've ever been to, EVER. Granted I'm not the most traveled golfer out there. I've probably only played about 20 courses in my lifetime. This one made me laugh so many times. It's a full 18 holes...The greens aren't just spotty, there's somewhat of a sandtrap in the middle of one. Every green played straight, even if it looked like there was a bend. The Fairways are deep and dead, and the rough... well lets just say you wont be finding your ball anytime soon. Unless you like wading through shin-high grass and what-not.
My cart had an ashtray in it, or what resembled an ashtray... with ashes.
The beer cart had a horribly squeeky wheel that I could hear coming from a mile away. Not to mention they only carried things like Natty ice and busch light.
I could go on forever but what's the point I guess...

Thank you St. Augustine Shores "golf club".
The pictures on the official website aren't even the actual course, it's somewhere else.

Two different criteria for "worst".. Conditions or Design. First that pops into my head for conditions was last weeks round at Lido Golf club.. Hasn't recovered from Sandy so fairways are fairways in name only. A few rounds in Florida at Magnolia Valley (after flooding events) were close, but it wasn't EVERY hole. A few stand out design wise- at least for me, anyway. Blackmoor in MB has too many near 90* doglegs for some reason. Tampa Bay golf & CC seemed to have been designed AROUND the housing plan instead of the other way around. Awkward holes with one particular hole that was a 90* dogleg with 180 off the tee to the corner... except you better hit it 186, not 190, because the tree chute you had to thread for the 2nd was less than 15 yds wide and blocked the right side of the fairway unless you hit a putter down that side. And that 2nd shot could be a 3 wood if you went a little left off the tee.

But I've also played some small off-the-beaten track links in Ireland that would be laughed at by most American golfers. Honesty boxes, wire wrapped greens, sheep wandering around, no real sense of where to go next, other than a careful check for a lightly beaten path to the next tee. And those were some of the BEST rounds I've ever played. Not necessarily scorewise, but for pure golf enjoyment. And even at those other "bad" courses, I'm playing golf.. and that can be the best thing about the place.

Silverwing golf course. 27 non creative holes real boring.

lol, i was chatting with my scoutmaster about golf yesterday, he told me about a course he played when he was overseas. the course itself wasn't bad, but it was located literally right on the edge of an active military airbase, so close that if you held your club to high you would hit the landing gear of jets taking off, and there was an AA emplacement in the middle, which he hit a slice right into... according to him the guys on the mount looked like they might have shot him if it wasn't for some smooth talking done by his buddy.

St Anton, 6 hole course.

It's what happens when you have 6 holes of minigolf and spread them out to allow for hitting approach shots at them. At the foot of a mountain.
I like the guys running it and the pro there, but i just can't bring myself to see it as golf course.

Caseville Golf Course. 100% weeds mowed a little shorter to be a "fairway," and cheap crappy grass mowed even shorter to be a "green." Uneven tees, stupid layout, and overpriced.

I have played there before it is a real gem, We played in a moonlight golf tournament there a few years ago and it was quite enjoyable. The cold beers probably made it more enjoyable! I used to live right by Caseville, and still visit every year for the Cheeseburger Festival!

The city course 3 blocks from my house is in the worse shape of any course I have ever seen. Over half the greens have large dead spots, there are also some large areas of dead grass on the fairways and tees. Right now it has 2 temp greens. I'm not sure what the greens keeper is doing over there.

It's a pity since its a fun old layout and close enough to play anytime.

Tappin' on the Kingphone.

Back