2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky! Ricky! Ricky!

Proud if you man, keep it at dude. You got this!

I am so ridiculously proud of you buddy. What a tough road, and you're taking it like a champ!!!!!!

Your support means more to me than you know. The encouragement from you and other THPers has been pretty overwhelming for me. I am so thankful to have a family like THP.

Well done Ricky! Keep up the great work dude! You effing killing it!

2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Big day today. Hit the 50lb mark in a little less than 6 weeks. I have noticed that my energy level has increased tremendously. I played golf last Sunday for the first time since my surgery and I only made it 15 holes before being gassed. Played yesterday and had so much energy after the round, I went home and worked out for 30 minutes. Wednesday I am finished with the 3 phase post op diet and can begin cautiously eating normal food. In addition, I can resume fill activities. Cant wait to get back into yoga. Resistance training and weight training as well. Still a long road to go but I have never been so positive.

Big day today. Hit the 50lb mark in a little less than 6 weeks. I have noticed that my energy level has increased tremendously. I played golf last Sunday for the first time since my surgery and I only made it 15 holes before being gassed. Played yesterday and had so much energy after the round, I went home and worked
Out for 30 minutes. Wednesday I am finished with the 3 phase post op diet and can begin cautiously eating normal food. In addition, I can resume fill activities. Cant wait to get back into yoga. Resistance training and weight training as well. Still a long road to go but I have never been so positive.

This is impressive, keep up the good work Dev.

Well this is the one part of my life that I just can't get going on a regular basis again. My plan after the MC was to really get back in the gym and hit it hard and to really start getting back into this thread. Well after one session of being back in the gym.... i hit it too hard and injured my lower back. I'm pretty sure it was doing deadlifts - my back just wants no part of those any more. Point being, I'll be back in here much more frequently now for those who have questions even if my workouts have stalled.

Wicked

Just a thought as I don't totally know your situation, and you probably already know this, but just in case you don't remember haha..
One problem that I see in people who get deadlifting injuries ( other than genetic issues - see me! ) is hamstring tightness. Make sure the legs have some blood flowing, and do a good dynamic ( hold a stretch 5-6 seconds, release, and try to increase the range each time - avoid static stretching here! ) stretching routine before the exercise. Very important to pay attention to form here, as a breakdown can quickly cause an injury.

Down another 1.5lbs this morning. Rode the bike again this morning. Feeling really good about things. Was talking to my wife this morning and she was saying how she was trying to come up with different things for me to eat and honestly, I am at the point where it is all just fuel to keep me going. I don't really care about food. It's a really freeing feeling. I cant wait to work out and keep seeing the lbs drop off. I have said it 100 times already but I really appreciate all the support THP'ers have given me. It wasn't easy to talk about at first because it is something that you immediately feel judged as a failure but you guys couldn't be more awesome.

Kick ass Dev!

It is truly awesome reading about your progress post-op. Congratulations, sir.

Big day today. Hit the 50lb mark in a little less than 6 weeks. I have noticed that my energy level has increased tremendously. I played golf last Sunday for the first time since my surgery and I only made it 15 holes before being gassed. Played yesterday and had so much energy after the round, I went home and worked out for 30 minutes. Wednesday I am finished with the 3 phase post op diet and can begin cautiously eating normal food. In addition, I can resume fill activities. Cant wait to get back into yoga. Resistance training and weight training as well. Still a long road to go but I have never been so positive.

It looks like me and some of my friends are going to be running a 5K in a month. I still need to train up a bit, currently sitting at 2.5 miles non-stop.

Godawful day in the gym. Well, rough day all around. Woke up early from a thunderstorm, then discovered PT was cancelled due to the storm. Couldn't get back to sleep, so my day started before 0400. Had a bunch of students fail the test, so I had to stay at work later for their remediation. Then the gym tonight was super-crowded, and an workout that I suck at (namely, double unders. Jumping rope, only with the rope passing under you twice with each jump.). Then when I was almost done, someone dropped a weight on my jump rope and broke it. Just not a fun Monday. Not only that, but the workout -- five sets of 30 double-unders and 7 iterations of the Bear Complex: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24834 took me more than 30 minutes to finish. Terrible time for me.

I know I should chalk it up as just a crappy time, but it's not going to go away that easy. Usually I'm a solid top-5 at my gym, but today was just a brick for me.

Upside: Reservations approved for a weekend getaway for me and the wife in November to Phoenix for the Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge: http://rocrace.com/ Should be a fun 5K, and something she and I can do together.

I don't mean to double post, but after a really stressful week that involved everything from sick kids to my students not passing my tests to a 10K run with no warning on Wednesday, today I got in the gym and got to work and had fun. After warmups we had 7 reps to meet/achieve a PR on back squat, which I got to with my last few reps at 275...not a PR all time, but a PR since ankle surgery in 2010, which is such a landmark for my overall fitness I consider things BAR (before ankle reconstruction) and AAR (after ankle reconstruction). I still have a ways to go to get to my pre-ankle weights of 365+, but it felt so good to nail some reps at what most normal people consider crazy heavy weights.

After that it was 50-40-30-20-10 of double unders (jumping rope with the rope passing under you twice per jump) and sit-ups. Somewhere around the middle of the second set I hit my zen of double unders and just could hit my zone of tearing off 12-20 at a time. That portion of the workout felt just so darn good. I like to think it means my body is getting more in sync, my legs are understanding and responding to what my arms are doing and vise versa. I did some practice swings with some long irons afterward, and it seemed like changes I want to make in my swing came a bit easier.

Either way, after a crazy stressful week at work, it felt good to polish it off with a new recent squat PR and getting better at some precision movements. I could be wrong, but precise strength is what we're going for on the golf course, right?

Started at 325 on January 1st down to 269 on July 4th. Feel fantastic due to Weight Watchers, Crossfit, and a Couch 2 5k program.

Really impressive numbers man! I wish I could lose weight that fast. Has taken me almost 2 years and I'm still not to my 60 lbs mark.

I was doing really well and about to hit my 60 lbs mark, but then had a new kid and my diet and workouts went to crap. Slowly trying to get back on the wagon though.

Really impressive numbers man! I wish I could lose weight that fast. Has taken me almost 2 years and I'm still not to my 60 lbs mark.

I was doing really well and about to hit my 60 lbs mark, but then had a new kid and my diet and workouts went to crap. Slowly trying to get back on the wagon though.

The last month has been a bit slow but am down to 266. Still running and golfing but my diet hasn't been as tight but 10k training starts next week so I am looking forward to some big calorie burns.

In addition my wife surprised me with a Garmin gps running watch for my birthday. So excited.

Got back into yoga. Last time I dedicated myself to it I felt my swing was much more fluid and had a better rhythm to it

Got back into yoga. Last time I dedicated myself to it I felt my swing was much more fluid and had a better rhythm to it

Yoga is good stuff, even just incorporating the exercises into a pre round stretch is great.

So I was really active in this thread when it started and had some goals. I never followed through on the goals. Flash forward to today. We have all heard the old adage "No day like today", well today is Kristen and I's today. Basically we similar but different goals. I'm looking to get into better golf shape and gain some cardiovascular endurance and she's just wanting to get into better shape. We are going to start slow with some basic walking and then work our way up into running or biking at some point. My golf shape is going to come as a result of using some golf fitness stuff. For my birthday I asked for and received the Joey D Golf Fitness system. If you don't know who he is he is the strength coach for Keegan, Rickie, DJ and several others on tour. So I'm looking forward to increasing my golf strength and flexibility with some tour proven methods.

I'll be in and out of the thread to update where I'm at with everything and to talk about the program and what I have gained from the system.

Good luck PD!

I started focus T25 yesterday. Didn't get it done this morning but will over lunch today.

I'm hoping that by committing for 10 weeks I can get used to a better eating and exercise routine that I can modify after the program is over.

Good luck PD!

I started focus T25 yesterday. Didn't get it done this morning but will over lunch today.

I'm hoping that by committing for 10 weeks I can get used to a better eating and exercise routine that I can modify after the program is over.

Insanity will be easy after T25 Derek! Dust those babies off!

Insanity will be easy after T25 Derek! Dust those babies off!

Honestly just need to send those back to you. T25 I have time for. 25 minutes is right up my alley right now. Winter might be different but unlike being at the range right now

I was back in the gym today after a few weeks off with some serious travel, vacation and the winning of the morgan cup. with yesterday close of the 2013 MC of sorts, I figure I have at least 11.5 months to get into the best shape of my life. Know that the 2014 MC will be held at True Blue made me so happy. I was back in the gym at 5am and will do so to get into legit shape for myself, my kids, my wife and the MC. Trying to do what I have in mind can't be done over a few months. It requires a full life style change.

Don't get me wrong, I felt great at the MC. But watching myself on screen mad me take a step back. I'm sexy but could always strive for War Eagle sexiness or Mike Dean. it won't take 11 months to reach my goals but its great target to keep one focused.

Honestly just need to send those back to you. T25 I have time for. 25 minutes is right up my alley right now. Winter might be different but unlike being at the range right now

Range > Working out, cant argue at all there. Once golf season ends, I will focus on my fitness again. Gives me something tangible and measurable to get me through the winters.

Crossfit kicked my ass this morning. 7 rounds for time of:15 kb swings, 15 power cleans, 15 box jumps. Have to time a 2 mile run this afternoon so I can get placed in the appropriate group for 10k class. #whooped

I was back in the gym today after a few weeks off with some serious travel, vacation and the winning of the morgan cup. with yesterday close of the 2013 MC of sorts, I figure I have at least 11.5 months to get into the best shape of my life. Know that the 2014 MC will be held at True Blue made me so happy. I was back in the gym at 5am and will do so to get into legit shape for myself, my kids, my wife and the MC. Trying to do what I have in mind can't be done over a few months. It requires a full life style change.

Don't get me wrong, I felt great at the MC. But watching myself on screen mad me take a step back. I'm sexy but could always strive for War Eagle sexiness or Mike Dean. it won't take 11 months to reach my goals but its great target to keep one focused.

Thats awesome Freddy! Hope you stick to your guns and keep your goal in sight. You've got all the incentive in the world to stay in shape with the family in mind, as well as next year's MC. Not to mention, the stronger and more flexible you get, the better the golf game gets as well.

Its been awhile since I posted on the thread, more time spend on the course/gym than the PC lately. I'm happy to say that I've kept all the bad weight off and in the last 5 months have stayed at my target weight and have improved my golf game immensely. Last weekend I took down my first "major" championship in my district by winning the 83rd Strathcona Invitational. After playing 74 holes in 2 days without a caddy I can definitely say that my fitness is what kept me in it with all the young guns i played in my 4 matches that I played. It was refreshing to read up on everyone in here and see that goals have been attained and surpassed and that everyone is keeping up with their fitness. Keep up the good work guys, stay fit and love golf!
IMG_1038.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back