Things That Irritate You On the Course?

I play with 'this guy' regularly and its just so annoying. Watching a guy b*tch and moan his way around the course and then shooting his handicap falls on deaf ears. If you are an 18 handicap and you shoot like an 18 handicap just relax and enjoy it instead of acting like you are a scratch golfer.

I played with a guy like this the other day. He was a long hitter, and therefore, thought that meant he was a good golfer. Of course like many long hitters, he often had no idea where the ball was going to go. So he spent the entire hitting into trouble, failing to get out of trouble well, and generally just making a mess of it. On every shot he slammed his club and cussed. I wanted so badly to say, "Dude...you're not the golfer you think you are." But of course I didn't. (I'm not the golfer I imagine either, but I try to keep a good mood and not get frustrated.)

Running a 10 foot putt, five feet past. And then missing the five footer.

Hitting a chip three feet when it was supposed to go 15 yards.

Hitting yet another tree.

Having a "5" start the number of strokes that you took on the front nine.

Starting triple-quadruple without really having an excuse and then celebrating because you bogey the third hole.

Sucking at golf. That pretty much always irritates me when I'm on the golf course...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Having some guy on the adjacent hole somehow get is ball through the trees and then come 60 yards past where it is and ignore all the yelling and play your ball - a nice shiny fairly new Penta and leave behind his tree and cart path scared gravel crusted yellowing no name ball for you to pick up.

Course workers who won't move.

On the first hole I had a Marshall sit just off the fairway right in the area I normally land my drives. Later there was one guy mowing who I ran into 3 different times, who didn't seem to want to stop mowing the rough, also in driving range.

Playing partners who almost hit you with an over zealous chip and don't yell.

Yep that happened the other day.

I play with 'this guy' regularly and its just so annoying. Watching a guy b*tch and moan his way around the course and then shooting his handicap falls on deaf ears. If you are an 18 handicap and you shoot like an 18 handicap just relax and enjoy it instead of acting like you are a scratch golfer.

Thank you for this post AG as I see myself in that guy. I so need to improve on the mental side of the game and be more positive. I'm a 16 not a 6 and being angry over mishits and mistakes will not change that.

My pet peeve is the idiot who spits sunflower seeds all over the green. Should I really be expected to clear this jackwagons spit soaked mess from my putting line. The day I catch someone red-handed spitting shells on the green is the day I probably get arrested on the course. LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL!

My pet peeve is the idiot who spits sunflower seeds all over the green. Should I really be expected to clear this jackwagons spit soaked mess from my putting line. The day I catch someone red-handed spitting shells on the green is the day I probably get arrested on the course. LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL!

That's why I chew tobacco. No seeds.

Wasn't you it was the old grenade paired with us on the par 3 on the front.

Besides we all know you don't use wedges around the green cough"18"cough

Oh yeah thats right

Thats just even grocer(is that even a word?) IMHO

I think what you're looking for is grosser (which is a word).
I figure it's my habit & as long I'm not spitting on you or anywhere you might touch or walk, I'll continue to. I frequently walk off the tee box, green or at least out of everyone's way.

Back on topic though, the one that truly gets under my skin is a bunker with 1/2" of sand covering gravel. Either put sand in it or put grass there, I don't care which.

"While We're Young" .... duh!

Clearly, there are many, many definitions of slow play. I sometimes think that it gets a bad rap because of those many definitions and the USGA's "While we're Young" campaign goes overboard. There are some who play or claim to play 9 holes in an hour, walking. That... to me is FAST play. If I had folks behind me expecting me to play that fast, I'd put them on fast forward play through. I understand what wasting time and taking too long is, but I will not be pressured to rush my game. I am 68 years old and in good shape, so I almost always walk 18... usually in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. That... to me, is not slow play. It's rare that a walker behind me will catch up, but some cart drivers do. I wave them through... and sometimes have to wait on them a few holes down the line. Golf offers enough pressures without missing a shot or a putt because someone is breathing down your back, on fast forward to get done.

As the THP slogan says.... don't just play golf, live it. You can't live it and enjoy it if you're being rushed. Yes there is a limit to all the pre-shot antics some go through, that take 5 minute to hit the ball. But, let's define a viable pace of play that doesn't take the fun out of the game.

I know it's not supposed to bother me, but I played with the worst bunch of lie fluffers I've ever seen the other day.

These guys are acquaintances of mine, and as we rode to the course one of them was asking me about my game. I replied that I'm a 15-handicap, and can score anywhere from the 100's on a bad day, to low 80's on a very good day. They chuckled and gave the impression they were all 10-12 handicaps, almost always in the low-to-mid-80s.

All I can say is wow. We were playing a course with thick Bermuda rough - the kind where the ball nestles right down. There was not a shot taken where they didn't roll the ball until it was sitting on top of the rough. A couple of times guys' balls were within a couple feet of the fairway, so they just went ahead and rolled them into the fairway.

It wasn't just restricted to long shots either. They did the same on their chips/pitches. One guy came up short on an approach and had a nasty plugged lie in the bunker. So he just calmly rolled the ball out of the plugged lie.

These were not beginners just learning the game or guys out "just to have fun." These were all serious golfers who claim to have an official handicap.

At the end of the day, I was the high score with an 86. In the end I just laughed it off, but during the round, I was just constantly shaking my head. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

"While We're Young" .... duh!

Clearly, there are many, many definitions of slow play. I sometimes think that it gets a bad rap because of those many definitions and the USGA's "While we're Young" campaign goes overboard. There are some who play or claim to play 9 holes in an hour, walking. That... to me is FAST play. If I had folks behind me expecting me to play that fast, I'd put them on fast forward play through. I understand what wasting time and taking too long is, but I will not be pressured to rush my game. I am 68 years old and in good shape, so I almost always walk 18... usually in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. That... to me, is not slow play. It's rare that a walker behind me will catch up, but some cart drivers do. I wave them through... and sometimes have to wait on them a few holes down the line. Golf offers enough pressures without missing a shot or a putt because someone is breathing down your back, on fast forward to get done.

As the THP slogan says.... don't just play golf, live it. You can't live it and enjoy it if you're being rushed. Yes there is a limit to all the pre-shot antics some go through, that take 5 minute to hit the ball. But, let's define a viable pace of play that doesn't take the fun out of the game.

An hour walking 9 by myself is actually a decent pace for me when I'm alone on the course. I'm not running or rushed, I'm taking practice swings, lining up putts, pulling the flag and just generally playing my normal game, it's just faster because there's no waiting for other players and I tend to walk fast normally anyways, just ask my wife about dragging me to the mall.

I played 18 yesterday walking with a 72 year old man and we finished in 3 hours and 9 minutes. With a two-some walking in the rain for the first 9 holes, it's not a bad pace.

I know it's not supposed to bother me, but I played with the worst bunch of lie fluffers I've ever seen the other day.

I can't remember if I posted about this or not, but...I met up with a random guy a few months back, and he was positively pathological with the lie fluffing. Why do I describe it that way? Improving his lie literally was part of his pre-shot routine. If he drove it right in the center of the fairway with a perfect lie, he'd still monkey with the ball a bit before hitting. Get this: he even did it on the green! I'm dead serious. Every first putt, he'd monkey about with his putter, accomplishing who-knows-what, wiggling the ball around, then he'd putt.

I thought it was hilarious...really lightened the mood for me just because it was so amusing.

Not much bothers me on the golf course but one thing that drives me completely into the red: one person I golf with has to stop by every lake, pond, river, puddle and search for lost balls. He then proceeds to take 5-10 minutes pulling them out. Granted once or twice during the round is fine but all the time gets a bit much. I talked to him about it a couple of times now saying that it's holding the round up and that we have to let groups play through but he doesn't care. He says "I paid my fee, I'm going to play the way I want". Also he has now graduated to checking tree lines and woods for lost balls while other people are shooting in the group. It just gets very frustrating and I know I shouldn't let it bother me but wow.

Not much bothers me on the golf course but one thing that drives me completely into the red: one person I golf with has to stop by every lake, pond, river, puddle and search for lost balls. He then proceeds to take 5-10 minutes pulling them out. Granted once or twice during the round is fine but all the time gets a bit much. I talked to him about it a couple of times now saying that it's holding the round up and that we have to let groups play through but he doesn't care. He says "I paid my fee, I'm going to play the way I want". Also he has now graduated to checking tree lines and woods for lost balls while other people are shooting in the group. It just gets very frustrating and I know I shouldn't let it bother me but wow.

I used to search the water for balls all the time when there wasn't a group following closely. Now the edge of the pond has become overgrown with weeds that I can't even reach the clear section with my ball retriever so I leave it in the trunk.

While playing a scramble this weekend I figured out another thing I hate while on the course..... Cheating. I saw a guy shank a shot into his own cart from about 130 yards out. Then he proceeded to drop another and hit it 2 feet from the pin. His group took it and made birdie. Now, it didn't have any effect on the outcome in the end. That group was only a couple under.....But it still irritates the crap outta me.

I'm seeing a trend where courses around me are suddenly ok with 5-8 somes out there. Course was full of them this past weekend. They were at least letting people through which was nice.

Skim alert here....but I'm starting to really dislike tee boxes that aren't flat. The fairway isn't hard enough to find off the tee?

I'm getting pretty good at not letting things other people do make me mad, but teeing off with my left foot 2 inches below my right is starting to get aggravating.

Back