Taylormade R9 Irons

My R9's showed up today and i am just as torn as ever. I hit my Burners beside my R9's and the Burners felt a little better but not sure it was a fair comparison. My Burners have midsize grips and the R9's showed up with standard size grips (they sent a sep package of midsize grips).......i got the R9's in standard length and lie as my initial set of R7's were stock and I shot my all time best 76 with them. I think I may go into GG tomorrow with both sets and make sure they fit. Wish I had some out and could consider another brand.

That is a tough one. 76 eh? I am still trying to break 90.

My R9s came back from TM today! I am playing tomorrow and can't wait to get these back in my bag.

I purchased a set of the R9 irons (3-PW KBS Stiff) about two weeks ago and I am really enjoying my ball striking. After reading much of this thread I have to agree with most of what JB has said about these irons....I notice they have a spot in his bag :D

My story is that this is my third set of irons in a year and half as I have been learning much about the golf swing (decided in the fall of 2008 to learn to play the game well enough to compete in tournaments) all the while trying to decide how I want to play the game from a ball striking perspecitve. I have decided that my goal is to hit the ball relatively straight (not real interested in working the ball) and with good consistent distance even when my swing is not in the slot (as they say). The R9 seems to be meeting my needs very well. When I strike it well they are very solid irons and the ball speed is amazing. However, when my swing is not in the slot they seem to still give me good distance and dispersion is minimal as compared to the blade type irons I had been playing. I have a very solid short game and my ball striking has always been the difference in whether I break 80 or not. I think I am going to be breaking 80 a whole lot more in 2010...:thumb:

I purchased a set of the R9 irons (3-PW KBS Stiff) about two weeks ago and I am really enjoying my ball striking. After reading much of this thread I have to agree with most of what JB has said about these irons....I notice they have a spot in his bag :D

My story is that this is my third set of irons in a year and half as I have been learning much about the golf swing (decided in the fall of 2008 to learn to play the game well enough to compete in tournaments) all the while trying to decide how I want to play the game from a ball striking perspecitve. I have decided that my goal is to hit the ball relatively straight (not real interested in working the ball) and with good consistent distance even when my swing is not in the slot (as they say). The R9 seems to be meeting my needs very well. When I strike it well they are very solid irons and the ball speed is amazing. However, when my swing is not in the slot they seem to still give me good distance and dispersion is minimal as compared to the blade type irons I had been playing. I have a very solid short game and my ball striking has always been the difference in whether I break 80 or not. I think I am going to be breaking 80 a whole lot more in 2010...:thumb:

I got mine from Taylormade with KBS Tour Stiff (Soft Stepped). THe sticker says KBS Tour on them, but they feel light (i came for r300). Anyone thing they just replaced the sticker?

Did you get R9 or R9 TP? R9 has the KBS made for TM rather than the KBS Tour on them. If you specifically ordered the KBS Tour, I would contact them.

I got mine from Taylormade with KBS Tour Stiff (Soft Stepped). THe sticker says KBS Tour on them, but they feel light (i came for r300). Anyone thing they just replaced the sticker?

To JB's point there are two different shafts in question here as follows:

KBS Tour 90 shaft (stock shaft offered in the R9). The stiff shaft weighs in at 100 grams...if it is a stiff shaft it should have a "S" on the sticker (mine does)??

KBS Tour Shaft (stock shaft for R9 TP). This stiff shaft weighs 120 grams and depending on which DG R300 shaft you had in your last clubs they could have weighed any where from 122-127 grams.

So I guess you could have gotten the KBS Tour stiff shafts (120 grams) and possibly they feel lighter then your R300's because they are but 7 grams is not much??? Hope this helps :thumb:

P.S. Go here to see details about KBS Tour shafts KBS Steel Shafts : KBS Tour Series

Are you sure they say KBS Tour 90 and not just KBS 90? I have early prototype irons with no stickers on the shaft, but I was told that the R9 would not say KBS Tour, but rather just KBS 90.

Are you sure they say KBS Tour 90 and not just KBS 90? I have early prototype irons with no stickers on the shaft, but I was told that the R9 would not say KBS Tour, but rather just KBS 90.

I believe you are correct that they say KBS 90 (for Taylormade) but they are in fact KBS Tour 90 shafts am I not correct? They also have a "S" in one corner of the sticker and I suppose that defines them as stiff shafts.

I guess your point is if they say "KBS Tour" only then they are not "KBS Tour 90" shafts. Also I had KBS Tour shafts in my Srixon I-701 irons and they did not have a designation of stiffness one them...they just said "KBS Tour"....clear as mud (as I like to say).

I would like to add a few things about the KBS Tour 90 shaft in the R9 irons...they are light to me as well but I came from 130 gram shafts. However, these shafts just seem to work very well with the R9 head. I tested them on a launch montior against the R9 TP (KBS Tour Stiff shaft) and my Srixon irons (KBS Tour X shaft ss) and my launch conditions were very comparable...however, the ball speed with the R9 was awesome!!! I also tested them at the range (prior to buying) and I hit them very comparable to my Srixon irons. I kept thinking I needed a heavier or stiffer shaft but each time I made a good swing the ball flight was piercing and never did it balloon on me. I think they are frequency matched very well to these heads and maybe for some it will just take some time trusting a lighter shaft. I guess though that each person's swing is different so it may not work for some as well as for others but I have always been fittted for "X" shafts (which are heavy) and these lighter stiff shafts just seem to be working very well for me right now...:thumb:

KBS 90 shafts are in the R9 irons and KBS Tour shafts are in the R9 TP. The shafts in the R9 were manufactured for Taylormade golf for these irons. The stickers were designed by Taylormade and the letter indicates the stiffness.

Hey Kevin,

I was in the same boat as you...loved the R9's but the Burners fit my game better primarily b/c of the added forgiveness.

Hey Kevin,

I was in the same boat as you...loved the R9's but the Burners fit my game better primarily b/c of the added forgiveness.

And so you went with the Burners? Im in the process of going back to them right now. They just fit my swing too good.

Are the R9 irons recommended for a 16-17 hdcp? Or in the TM line would I be better suited with the Burners? I've seen some stuff indicating the best market for these are more the 5-15 hdcp. player. My "final four" is the R9s, Burners, MX-200s or AP1s. Have hit them all many times and have a reason or two for having each one on the short list.

Are the R9 irons recommended for a 16-17 hdcp? Or in the TM line would I be better suited with the Burners? I've seen some stuff indicating the best market for these are more the 5-15 hdcp. player. My "final four" is the R9s, Burners, MX-200s or AP1s. Have hit them all many times and have a reason or two for having each one on the short list.

12th-

I think a 16-17 index player could easily game the R9s. Demo the heck out of your final four and go with what feels the best and hits the best. I wouldn't worry about any of those 4 being too much club for you.

P.S. TAMU or Seahawks?

Going to Pasadena? What an amazing finish last Saturday night! Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...

I took my R9s to the range today. As I was hitting my 7-iron, I noticed that the "R9 emblem" had fallen off the back of the irons. When I checked all my clubs, I also noticed that it was missing from the 6-iron. I know that several other posters have faced this problem as well. It does not impact anything other than the club's looks; the clubs still hit great. I plan on contacting TM to get some replacement emblems.

Interlooper,
That is strange that the 6 iron had problems. We spoke to TM about this very thing and what we were hearing is that the very 1st batch had a glue issue on the 7 and 8 iron, but no other issues have been reported. Their CS is handling it quite well and will take care of you.

Interlooper,
That is strange that the 6 iron had problems. We spoke to TM about this very thing and what we were hearing is that the very 1st batch had a glue issue on the 7 and 8 iron, but no other issues have been reported. Their CS is handling it quite well and will take care of you.

TM told me that it was a 6 and 7 iron issue. I got my new set of clubs from them and have noticed that the emblem is different than the one from the original set. They have been nothing but stellar in their handling of all of my issues and I finally got to get out with my R9 vs Burners today....that extra 1" really made a difference in feel for the R9's. I like 'em.

JB,

My bag is in the trunk of my car. I thought it was the 6 and 7, but perhaps it was the 7 and 8 (I will recheck once I go back to the car). It definitely was a glue issue as you noted; you could see the leftover residue from the glue. Glad to hear that TM is handling the issue. They have always been very helpul to me in the past and I have no doubt that they will continue to do so. If this is the worst of the issues I will have with these clubs, then I will be very happy. I have been very satisfied with these clubs thus far.

I took my R9s to the range today. As I was hitting my 7-iron, I noticed that the "R9 emblem" had fallen off the back of the irons. When I checked all my clubs, I also noticed that it was missing from the 6-iron. I know that several other posters have faced this problem as well. It does not impact anything other than the club's looks; the clubs still hit great. I plan on contacting TM to get some replacement emblems.

Yep, that's what happened to my 7 iron as well. Just call TM Customer Service (the number on their website is what I used: 1.866.530.8624). They first suggested that I send in the club through an authorized dealer, but when I said I didn't want to be without the club, they representative said they didn't have any emblems to send out yet, but that he would take my name and address and send me one as soon as they get them, which is supposed to be early in January.

JB-

For some reason, I thought I had read that it was the emblems on the 6 and 7 irons. But that's just a recollection, which isn't always reliable with me.

That is strange. I am looking at the email now and it says 7 and 8 iron. I guess they meant 6 and 7 iron.

That is strange. I am looking at the email now and it says 7 and 8 iron. I guess they meant 6 and 7 iron.

Nah, I'm probably just misremembering.

I noticed today that the emblem (not insert) fell out of my 8 iron. Not sure when or where, but it must have been very recently.

It's odd because I've pulled and prodded the emblems and inserts on all my R9s, and they all seemed secure. Must be something really weird about the glue for them to spontaneously fall off like that. In any event, it's just cosmetic and I still wouldn't trade my R9s for anything else. They just really suit me.

We spoke to TM about this very thing and what we were hearing is that the very 1st batch had a glue issue on the 7 and 8 iron, but no other issues have been reported.

Dude, stop freaking me out.

Do you have ESPN or something?!?!?

Back