Taylormade R9 Irons

Does anyone know the exact specs of the steel shafts offered in the R9? I looked on their website and could not find anything. If they are KBS Tour 90 shafts then the specs would be as follows:

Regular - 95g - .355" Tapered
Stiff - 100g - .355" Tapered

However, I got KBS wedge shafts (.355" Tapered) for Xmas and thought about putting one of them into my R9 PW to see how they played but when we pulled the head off, the shafts look like they are .370" Parallel shafts??? Thanks for any data you can provide...:thumb:

I have sent this post to our contact there, however they are closed until Monday. If you do not have a response by then, they will respond at that time.

I have sent this post to our contact there, however they are closed until Monday. If you do not have a response by then, they will respond at that time.

Thanks JB...I am curious to see what they say.

Also I put the KBS wedge shafts into my Cleveland DSG wedges and they are very nice...they still play soft around the green but feel a little firmer for full shots from the fairway...they are also a cool dark gray color...:thumb:

Most of our reviewers played stiff. I have played both as I started with R and went to S shortly after. I do not think the stiffness is much different than what I normally play and think they play close to true to flex.

Thank you JB, I am considering adding these irons to my arsenal.

I've been playing the FT irons and X22 irons in uniflex interchangeably since the FTs came out, and didn't think I'd be looking at another set of irons. Before that the Hawkeye VFTs (also uniflex, and lightest to this point at 95 grams).

In any event, I got an R9 driver and R9 6 iron (stiff) for Christmas (purchased both in large part because of your reviews and then going to Golf Galaxy to actually hit the driver).

And while I'm thoroughly enjoying the driver, I didn't think I'd get, or need for that matter, another iron set. But the R9 6 iron had that intangible "it" quality to it.

Not having hit the iron in the R flex, I was wondering which shaft, R or S, would be more in line with my uniflex shafts.

I've don't normally hit a S shaft in my irons (hit S in my Ping i10s which I didn't like; and hit them in my wedges of course), but the R9 KBS S felt similar to the uniflex shafts in terms of soft feel and flex.

I suppose the best thing to do it go with my X22 6 iron, my R9 6 iron(S), and ask to hit an R9 6 iron(R) to compare them all. But I wanted to get some feedback here first, as it's been great reading all these reviews, and insightful opinions.

Thanks again as always, and keep up the great job!

I really liked the X-22s as well. Very different clubs than the R9s. You are right, the best thing to do is hit them side by side and see what works best.

I really liked the X-22s as well. Very different clubs than the R9s. You are right, the best thing to do is hit them side by side and see what works best.

Yes, as do I. I certainly won't be trading or selling my X22s (in fact I believe they're the best X irons Callaway has made in terms of combining qualities that aren't always found in a single iron: forgiveness, hot face, and playability.)

But that R9 6 iron just felt so good! I could see myself hitting the X22s on colder wet days, and the R9s on drier warmer days.:banghead:

Anyway thanks again for the reviews. I have a long cold snowy winter of hitting at the indoor simultors to decide what route to go with regarding the R9s.

To anyone who's hit both the R and S KBS shafts in the R9, can you tell me in your opinion if either or both play soft, stiff, or true to flex? I've been told both the R and S play on the soft side, but I'd like some more opinions. Thanks!

PS, were most of the reviewers playing R or S? I tried to find that answer but didn't seem to come across it in any threads.

My swing speed is between a stiff and reg. flex could play either. I demoed the r9 with r flex kbs 90 found it a little loose and spayed shots left and right .
So I tried the stiff flex a it was bang on tightened up the shots pattern
considerably . So given that I would say the kbs 90 plays a little soft to flex
at least for me.
L57

Does anyone know the exact specs of the steel shafts offered in the R9? I looked on their website and could not find anything. If they are KBS Tour 90 shafts then the specs would be as follows:

Regular - 95g - .355" Tapered
Stiff - 100g - .355" Tapered

However, I got KBS wedge shafts (.355" Tapered) for Xmas and thought about putting one of them into my R9 PW to see how they played but when we pulled the head off, the shafts look like they are .370" Parallel shafts??? Thanks for any data you can provide...:thumb:
I read some where that the r9's are .370 and the r9tp's are .355 taper tip.
L57

Thanks JB...I am curious to see what they say.

Also I put the KBS wedge shafts into my Cleveland DSG wedges and they are very nice...they still play soft around the green but feel a little firmer for full shots from the fairway...they are also a cool dark gray color...:thumb:

I did this too in my TaylorMade Z TP but its snowing now so I can't hit it. I didn't like hitting the R9 before but I might have to give it another try. I loved the R9 TP though

To anyone who's hit both the R and S KBS shafts in the R9, can you tell me in your opinion if either or both play soft, stiff, or true to flex? I've been told both the R and S play on the soft side, but I'd like some more opinions. Thanks!

I am playing the stiff shafts and came from X Stiff (soft stepped) shafts in my last clubs and I think these shafts are plenty stiff...I do not feel like the ball ballons at all and when I put a really good swing on them the ball flight is piercing. My swing speed with a 6 iron is around 88-89 mph. My dispersion has been good and I only played X Stiff because that is what fitters and charts kept telling me but I really like the feel of these lighter shafts. I hit the ball high anyway so as long as the ball doesn't ballon on me I am happy...:thumb:

I did this too in my TaylorMade Z TP but its snowing now so I can't hit it. I didn't like hitting the R9 before but I might have to give it another try. I loved the R9 TP though

The KBS Wedge shafts are nice :thumb:

On the dilema between the R9 and the R9TP...I would go hit both of them as much as you can (inside and outside) before you decide and seeing that you are around a 13 handicap, I think you will find it will come down to what you are looking for in your game. I had less dispersion and more ball speed with the R9 and was surpirsed at how much I liked the look of this iron at address (coming from player irons). They are a tad bigger than the TP but not much and the offset is such that they allow you to set up nicely...I know it sounds like I am a salesman for the R9 but if you are not chasing a mini tour or on the PGA/LPGA Tour then why make the game any harder then it already is. I truly find the R9 irons help me play better and for the first time in my golfing career on the 18th hole last weekend a guy in my foursome (who I just met that day) made the comment about how consistent I was. I hit 9 greens in regulation and shot a 78. I have never heard anyone say that about my ball striking...:thumb:

Thanks for your comments Lefty and ZM. I'm fall into the same "tweener" category you do Lefty.

And ZM, I hit my friends R7 iron in R and got that ballooning shot you speak of. Almost didn't matter what iron/loft I hit, they all launched nearly with that same type of ballooning trajectory.

I Guess I'm going to just have to hit both flexes. Hit the S flex and like it, feels good. Just wanted to see if the R gives me better performance.

But from your comments and others, and my own experience with the S, I suspect S will be what I settle on.

Thanks!

ZM- Im glad you hitting your R9s so good and thanks for the information too. It is nice to get compliments like that from people, makes things somewhat worth while. I think I'm gonna be going up to Golf Galaxy a couple times this week and I will be hitting both the R9s and the R9 TPs. Unfortunately, i will not be able to hit these outside.

ZM- Im glad you hitting your R9s so good and thanks for the information too. It is nice to get compliments like that from people, makes things somewhat worth while. I think I'm gonna be going up to Golf Galaxy a couple times this week and I will be hitting both the R9s and the R9 TPs. Unfortunately, i will not be able to hit these outside.

Good luck with whatever you decide and the reason I said hit them outside is a personal reason...I never seem to hit good in the booth at my local Edwin Watts...maybe because I am 6'4 and I feel like the top is too close or because I feel like I am hitting into a wall (the screen 15 feet in front of me)??? Anyway I always like to validate what I see on the launch monitor (ball flight etc...) when hitting off of actual grass. The grass doesn't lie..Ha! Ha! Not sure where you live so that you cannot hit outside right now...bummer...but if you can wait I think that hitting off real grass can tell you many things about how an iron will and can perform...again this is my personal opinion...good luck and let us know if you decide to join the R9 family...:thumb:

lie adjustment

lie adjustment

Does anyone know if you can adjust the lies on the r9 irons? I have my own loft and lie machine and have a sweet heart deal lined up on the r9 irons but their are not my lie angles . I would have to adjust them 2 down.
Thanks L57

Does anyone know if you can adjust the lies on the r9 irons? I have my own loft and lie machine and have a sweet heart deal lined up on the r9 irons but their are not my lie angles . I would have to adjust them 2 down.

I would think that adjusting them 2 degrees would not hurt them....:thumb:

adjusting lie angle

adjusting lie angle

Just got an answer from TM Canada . 2* up or down is ok, anything more than that has to be sent to TM in SoCal. Custom orders can be bent up to
4* up or down.
L57

Do these R9 irons have the loft etched into the iron head?

The reason I ask is because I was looking at my R9 6 iron earlier (holding it with the head to the left, grip to the right, and cavity facing me, so the taylormade on the neck reads properly left to right), and I noticed a small number "21" etched into the neck just above, and to the right of the taylormade name (if you follow the lead edge of the club all the way back to the black ferrule the number is just before the ferrule)

Does anyone know what that number is? Means? It CAN'T be loft right? 21* for a 6 iron?

The R9 6 iron is 28* according to their site.

The R9 6 iron is 28* according to their site.
Thanks Kevin :) Yes I did know that one, which is why I'm curious what the number 21 etched into my 6 iron means. My iron "seems" to be 28*, so I assume it doesn't mean loft.

That's why I'm curious if TM etches lofts into the iron necks. And if most people have a 28 etched into their 6 iron then something's unusual to say the least with my 6 iron.

If other people have 21 etched into their 6 iron I'm curious what it means (assuming it's not loft).

Ive never noticed that before but I'll check the R9's I have at home. I'll see what if anything they have etched on them.

Ive never noticed that before but I'll check the R9's I have at home. I'll see what if anything they have etched on them.

Thanks Kevin. Yes it's easy to overlook. The only reason I noticed it today is because I was thoroughly inspecting and admiring the finish. And saw that 21 etched there and just thought, "ok, hmmm, this is an interesting little tidbit".

Curious what you find out. Thanks!

Do these R9 irons have the loft etched into the iron head?

The reason I ask is because I was looking at my R9 6 iron earlier (holding it with the head to the left, grip to the right, and cavity facing me, so the taylormade on the neck reads properly left to right), and I noticed a small number "21" etched into the neck just above, and to the right of the taylormade name (if you follow the lead edge of the club all the way back to the black ferrule the number is just before the ferrule)

Does anyone know what that number is? Means? It CAN'T be loft right? 21* for a 6 iron?

I just checked my 6-iron; I don't have any etched numbers on it. On my 7-iron, however, in nearly the same spot you mention above, is the ID # of my R9s.

I just checked my 6-iron; I don't have any etched numbers on it. On my 7-iron, however, in nearly the same spot you mention above, is the ID # of my R9s.

Thanks for checking. Yes I should have mentioned the etched #21 looks like a serial number etching. As far as I know TaylorMade puts the serial number on either the 5 or 7 iron (like yours). So it seems strange it would be on my 6 iron, and only two numbers (assuming it is a serial number, unless that signifies something like 21st iron/club/set made). I did get this iron individually as a single iron, not as part of a set however (to test it out before deciding one way or another if I want a full set). Maybe I'll call TaylorMade and see what they say after I hear from a few more people here. Thanks again interlooper.

I have just sent an email to TM about this. They are closed until Monday, but will respond soon. Pre-Release samples have different etchings than that of released clubs, but I do not think that is it since my irons are pre-release and do not have this.

Back