Taylormade R9 Irons

That is strange. I am looking at the email now and it says 7 and 8 iron. I guess they meant 6 and 7 iron.

No. They meant 7 and 8 like you said. I just went to the range; the emblem fell off both the 7 and 8. Sorry for the confusion. I plan to take the same route as Harry and have the emblems sent to me.

Are the R9 irons recommended for a 16-17 hdcp? Or in the TM line would I be better suited with the Burners? I've seen some stuff indicating the best market for these are more the 5-15 hdcp. player. My "final four" is the R9s, Burners, MX-200s or AP1s. Have hit them all many times and have a reason or two for having each one on the short list.

I would say they would work but they do have a little less offset then most GI irons...however, whether they will work for this handicap level depends on why someone is playing to that handicap...I (8 handicap) recently went from player irons to the R9 irons because ball strking is my weakness...if I hit the ball well I have a good chance of breaking 80 but otherwise I need some help when my swing is not in the slot. I find the R9 a great compromise as they have somewhat of a player iron look to them (just a tad bigger) but yet are more forgiving on miss hits (distance and dispersion wise)...hope this helps...:thumb:

Help!

Help!

Awesome pictures Harry. Looking forward to your feedback. This thread will serve as another opportunity for THP readers to have questions answered about these specific irons from another tester.

I'm new here and I've only been playing golf one year! I bought new Ram golf clubs the end of last year. I've improved alot and I actually broke 100 seven times this year.(No Mulligans or fluffing the ball). I'm going to buy better clubs now and I'd like to know the best kind to get, taking into consideration my HIGH handicap. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.......gunsup

Welcome,
There really is no best set to get. It will be different for every person that tries them. You should go to a store and try out as many different sets as you can. You should also check to see what companies are having demo days in your area and see about getting out to those.

Once you try as many sets as you can, pick out a few that match the look you like, what feels the best, what gives the best flight for you, and what matches your wallet.

Finally went down to Golf Galaxy yesterday to try out the R9's (stiff steel KBB's, no TPs this time...) and WOW was I impressed. I recently (over the last 3 weeks) have undergone a drastic swing change, as my last one had a little too much hip torque and ended up almost tearing my ITB on my right hip (ow). I haven't actually played a round with the new swing yet, but it is pretty solid. It involves only about a 3/4 takeaway, so i wasn't expecting much out of hitting these, just trying to get a feel. I took the 6 iron first and my first 10 swings with it felt so pure. I hit all of my shots in about a 15 yard grouping from 165-180, and that was just getting warmed up. With my current TP's I struggle to hit my 6 iron over 165-170 EVER. These clubs are so light, I love the KBB shaft. Now to see if I can convince my wife to let me buy an 800 dollar set of clubs after I just spent 400 on these TPs a few months ago...

Harry, have the R9's displaced your Ping's for good?

MO-

The Pings haven't been back in my bag since the first full on-course day with the R9s.

The KBS 90 (for TM) is a better shaft than the ones in my i5s, and the R9 heads are more forgiving.

Had these back in my bag for the 1st time in about 8 rounds. Ironically had my best score in about 2 months too. It was more about my wedge play than anything else, but these irons are just perfect for my game.

JB

Were you using CG15 or TM xFT wedges today?

Both Keith. I had 2 CG15s, 1 TM xFT, and my niblick.

That is strange. I am looking at the email now and it says 7 and 8 iron. I guess they meant 6 and 7 iron.

I checked with my local Edwin Watts store and they said they had only one person bring back an 8 iron where the badge had fallen off and TM sent them a brand new club....good customer service...:thumb:

I checked with my local Edwin Watts store and they said they had only one person bring back an 8 iron where the badge had fallen off and TM sent them a brand new club....good customer service...:thumb:

The local store near me has not had a return as of yet.

no emblem problems with my sticks yet but I have noticed that underneath the R9 clubface (cosmetic side) where the angles meet the paint has chipped about an inch on a couple of my clubs. it doesn't bother me though.

Guys, if I'm not very interested in workability or feel, can you think of any advantages the R9's would have over the Burner 09s?

Looks wise I personally like both a lot.

No, if your only goal is forgiveness and distance, the Burners will help just as much in those areas

Friend of mine bought a set after looking at the review on THP and he has had a badge fall of already.

Friend of mine bought a set after looking at the review on THP and he has had a badge fall of already.

Its almost ironic. We have had 5 sets and not had a single problem. Yet we have heard over 40 people have had issues. TM says the batch that had emblem issues was small (less than a few hundred) which is a good thing and have said to everybody that they will replace them.

No, if your only goal is forgiveness and distance, the Burners will help just as much in those areas

Thanks JB. I had more or less worked that out, but nice to hear an expert confirm it for me.

I probably don't appreciate the importance of feel just yet, so going to stick with the Burners I think.

I now have "badge issues" with the 9-iron. The good thing is that I have not sent in the 7 and 8 irons to TM yet, so no harm no foul.

On another note, I took the irons to the range yesterday and was just not hitting well. It really has been my first practice with these clubs in which my swing wasn't there. While they are not as forgiving as the Burners, I do believe that they give a bit more feedback on mishits (i.e. you know what you did wrong the second you hit it).

I was in the Forum just a few days back, asking about the Diablo Edge irons and how they'd compare to the X-22's as my set was of X-14's and wanted to make an upgrade. My concern was that the diablo edge weren't in the market soon enough and that perhaps they'd have a super wide sole, which I don't like.

All this is to say that I made up my mind to buy the X-22 last Friday night since I was until then a Die Hard Callaway fan. Walked in the store, tried them on the monitor, tried several others like Mizuno, TM Burners, King Cobras and the R9. Since the R9 were the most expensive, I thought they were trying to just sell them when they insisted I tried them. They were incredible! I hit them an average 20 more yards as compared to the closest (X-22), even in mishits. Still I felt awkward purchacing other brand. I have played two 18 hole rounds since (Sat and today, Monday). One not in my home course. I have hit them solidly. I love the iron shafts. They are regular. I am another new believer!!! Actually converted TM fan. I will keep my Diablo driver, wood and hybrids though!!.

I came back to see what other people thought and your excellent comments and reviews have only confirmed my new conviction. I will keep an eye on those emblems and inserts though! My X-14 6 iron has been missing the insert for quite some time, never found it, and did not affect performance, so I am not really concerned unless advised otherwise.

Thanks Harry, JB and the rest of you guys posting:D!

I was in the Forum just a few days back, asking about the Diablo Edge irons and how they'd compare to the X-22's as my set was of X-14's and wanted to make an upgrade. My concern was that the diablo edge weren't in the market soon enough and that perhaps they'd have a super wide sole, which I don't like.

All this is to say that I made up my mind to buy the X-22 last Friday night since I was until then a Die Hard Callaway fan. Walked in the store, tried them on the monitor, tried several others like Mizuno, TM Burners, King Cobras and the R9. Since the R9 were the most expensive, I thought they were trying to just sell them when they insisted I tried them. They were incredible! I hit them an average 20 more yards as compared to the closest (X-22), even in mishits. Still I felt awkward purchacing other brand. I have played two 18 hole rounds since (Sat and today, Monday). One not in my home course. I have hit them solidly. I love the iron shafts. They are regular. I am another new believer!!! Actually converted TM fan. I will keep my Diablo driver, wood and hybrids though!!.

I came back to see what other people thought and your excellent comments and reviews have only confirmed my new conviction. I will keep an eye on those emblems and inserts though! My X-14 6 iron has been missing the insert for quite some time, never found it, and did not affect performance, so I am not really concerned unless advised otherwise.

Thanks Harry, JB and the rest of you guys posting:D!

Even though I decided the R9's werent the clubs for me, I know they are great clubs. And reading the above is what THP is all about. Everyone shares they're unbiased or even biased opinions so we all can make better decisions! I think its great that a die hard Callaway guy actually even hit the R9s and then purchased them. Before THP I wasnt much of a TM or Cleveland fan and now they dominate my bag.

I just had a chance to hit the r9's a few times on a simulator and was impressed
with feel ,distance and accuracy . I see many of the reviews are backing up my findings. I haven't played a set fo TM's since the supersteel irons years ago. I tried r7's when they came out and didn't care for them at all, found the harse on miss hits even with graphite. Tried the r9 on a whim thought they were a rebadged r7, but these are a different animal . Better in all departments . I am really leaning towards ordering a set of these in time for my winter holiday.

L57

To anyone who's hit both the R and S KBS shafts in the R9, can you tell me in your opinion if either or both play soft, stiff, or true to flex? I've been told both the R and S play on the soft side, but I'd like some more opinions. Thanks!

PS, were most of the reviewers playing R or S? I tried to find that answer but didn't seem to come across it in any threads.

Most of our reviewers played stiff. I have played both as I started with R and went to S shortly after. I do not think the stiffness is much different than what I normally play and think they play close to true to flex.

Back