Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually what you said was that he was "not that great of a QB and a horrible passer". He is not a horrible passer. He is an average passer by college QB standards. Maybe slightly below average. But he is a college QB. Just not a pocket college QB.

Bob Griese thinks that Tebow can be an NFL QB if given the right situation. He may be right but I would not take a chance on him if I were drafting for an NFL team unless I already had a solid QB in place and could afford to take a flyer on him.

Bob Griese thinks that Tebow can be an NFL QB if given the right situation. He may be right but I would not take a chance on him if I were drafting for an NFL team unless I already had a solid QB in place and could afford to take a flyer on him.

The problem with his throw is he brings the ball back too far for him to be real successful in the NFL, they need a quick release. I think he has the talent to play in the NFl but what we think is minor is really a big deal. So I agree, I wouldnt and dont think anyone will take a chance on him in the draft. But I would like to see him do well, he is a great kid. Word is that Urban Meyer is talking about putting him on staff

The problem with his throw is he brings the ball back too far for him to be real successful in the NFL, they need a quick release. I think he has the talent to play in the NFl but what we think is minor is really a big deal. So I agree, I wouldnt and dont think anyone will take a chance on him in the draft. But I would like to see him do well, he is a great kid. Word is that Urban Meyer is talking about putting him on staff

I am surprised no one has tried to teach him. There are two factors that are important, only one of which is the quicker release. The other is the tremendous increase in accuracy that comes from throwing with a consistent release point. Both can only be achieved by keeping the ball high, above your shoulder, and in as close to your head as possible prior to release. It is very similar to what they teach infielders today, ball up by the ear and the throw goes where ever you are looking, there is no looseness in the motion.

Didnt they say that about Bernie Kosar and Philip Rivers when they were coming out?

Didnt they say that about Bernie Kosar and Philip Rivers when they were coming out?

Throwing a ball is a lot like golf, if you have phenomenal physical skills and hand eye coordination then you can do it a lot of different ways and be very successful but on average your chances improve greatly if you follow some basic sound fundamentals when putting, chipping or swinging full. You can throw Vince Young into this discussion. I personally believe he can be successful with his throwing motion, as Rivers has been and Kosar was, but he is making it harder than it should be. A guy who throws with a short motion and a little sidearm has a better chance of success than a long motion like a Byron Leftwich for example because of the speed of the game but with the sidearm throw accuracy can be a big problem. They have the added complication of having to deal with a horizontal variable with that throw as well as a vertical variable in their release point and that makes that throw two or three times as hard to make as a guy who throws like Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, just for example. Once you drop down to sidearm it brings into play a left to right horizontal drift issue with their throws that make it very hard to be accurate. A thrower with a more upright vertical plane only has to worry about one variable on the release point not two, there is less cahnce of the throw drifting left or right. This is why a technically better throwing motion is more consistent and why the other guys are sometimes wildly up and down, great one day and horrible the next. You want your quarterback throwing strikes not balls and just like a pitcher on a mound good mechanics make that easier to accomplish. Add 300 pound guys trying to smash you into the ground and the need to lead the receiver and that sidearm motion can be very hard to pull off. Ultimately what matters is the result and if Rivers or whoever you want to name is successful then it is a non-issue but I would never allow a 12 year old learning to play to throw that way and I would never draft a QB who threw that way if I were running a team.

While a lot of that is the case, you are forgetting the original debate and that was arm strength and how important it is. In the NFL you have to be able to throw the deep out and Brady Quinn has struggled with it since the beginning of his NFL career. You also have to have good instincts and while Brady is smart, he makes bad decisions. He reminds me of Trent Dilfer without the arm strength.

Big arm QBs will always have a place. See Vinny, Dilfer, George, etc..

I will not argue that with you, although I think that is over rated.

Not trying to argue, but I can tell you that every NFL scout seems to agree. Arm strength is key!

Not trying to argue, but I can tell you that every NFL scout seems to agree. Arm strength is key!

Look at Matt Moore From Carolina, he is a prime example, I think he has decent accuracy but his arm strenght is horrible.

They did try to change Tebows throw, but have ou ever tried to change your golf swing.....easier said than done. But I do agree JB, arm strength and accuracy

ESPN is reporting that Urban Meyer is stepping down as head coach at Jort U!!!!

Where did that come from?

Edit: Sounds like there could be some medical reason, details are pretty sketchy right now.

Last edited:
I just saw the reports MO. Very interesting and sad at the same time. Timing is a little weird being that Charlie Strong just took the Louisville position. I'm curious to the extent of the health issues (which have to be serious for him to step down abruptly like this). Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Can you say Mike Shanahan in the Swamp (he has ties to Gator Nation)?

Go Gators.

I just saw the reports MO. Very interesting and sad at the same time. Timing is a little weird being that Charlie Strong just took the Louisville position. I'm curious to the extent of the health issues (which have to be serious for him to step down abruptly like this). Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Can you say Mike Shanahan in the Swamp (he has ties to Gator Nation)?

Go Gators.

No, hoping for him to end up with the Cowboys:D

No, hoping for him to end up with the Cowboys:D

So I guess you are not one to want to believe all the reports out there of him landing with the 'Skins then? :confused2:

So I guess you are not one to want to believe all the reports out there of him landing with the 'Skins then? :confused2:

I've heard that they are talking to him, hoping he waits to make a decision. Either way it doesn't matter as long as the owner keeps meddling it will be the same old situation. (That goes for the 'Boys and Redskins)

That's why I think this UF job might entice him. If he wants the power, the lifestyle, and the glory, then there's nothing like running a top notch college program (look what it did with Pete Carroll in SC).

If he wants money to pay for his mansion in Denver, then 'Skins and 'Boys it is. Don't be surprised if the Bears (if they sack Lovie) or the Texans (if they sack Gary) jump into this. He's got plenty of options now and all except the 'Skins have good QB situations (which he likes).

The 'Boys will have a good shot at it since they got the dough, the glory, the owner buddy, and a quarterback that he went after before.

Why are there no playoffs in college football??

Why are there no playoffs in college football??

There is. Just not in the top tier. I suppose the Bowl games wouldn't be so lucrative if they had playoffs after the bowls.

WTF is Mike Leach doing?

WTF is Mike Leach doing?

If the allegations are true Leach should be banned from coaching at any level for life!!!

Spoiler
Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:44 pm EST
Mike Leach suspended for allegedly 'isolating' Craig James' concussed son in electrical closet

By Matt Hinton

Six days before the team closes its season in the Alamo Bowl, the game has become the least of Texas Tech's worries, which began this afternoon with a mysterious report from the university that coach Mike Leach wouldn't be on the sideline due to an investigation into alleged mistreatment of a player:

LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech coach Mike Leach has been suspended while the school investigates complaints from a player and his family about treatment after an injury.

The school said in a release Monday defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill will be the interim coach and lead the team in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2 against Michigan State.

McNeill will remain in charge of the team until the investigation is complete.

The official release from the university doesn't shed much light. ESPN reporter Joe Schad, however, gets more specific on his Twitter feed: "Mike Leach is alleged to have isolated a player in a dark closet for not practicing with a concussion." That player, we soon learned, is wide receiver Adam James, son of ex-SMU star and current ESPN analyst Craig James, who reported to Texas Tech "with great regret and after consideration" that "[his] son had been subjected to actions and treatment not consistent with common sense rules for safety and health," according to a release by the family. Specific allegations include confining Adam James to an equipment room for three hours when he was unable to practice and instructing a trainer to "place James in an electrical closet." An attorney for Leach (who also has his own law degree) admitted James was secluded on two occasions, but "the circumstances were not as portrayed by the James family."

Oh: By the way, Craig James was scheduled to call the Alamo Bowl for ESPN on Jan. 2, where his and his son's beef with Leach will be the hottest story throughout the broadcast; predictably, that assignment has been scuttled.

From Leach's perspective, the important word is alleged; an accusation by a disgruntled player can fall apart in a hurry when people start digging into the facts. It doesn't help Leach, though, that the quirky, freewheeling persona that's made him such a crowd (and blogger) favorite over the years also makes him a logical candidate to step over the line. We already know he's no stranger to creative punishment, and with the recent deluge of information about the debilitating long-term effects of concussions, anything in the vicinity of "isolating a player in a closet" for refusing to put himself at risk could qualify as a firing offense. And a complaint by a well-connected football lifer like Craig James is unlikely to come up empty.

Not that anyone is particularly looking to kick Leach to the curb the way so many people in Kansas seemed anxious to be rid of the infamously sour and temperamental coach Mark Mangino earlier this year, when a complaint by a current player in the midst of a losing streak sparked an investigation that opened the floodgates for a parade of ex-players and parents to air their grievances and force Mangino's ouster. Aside from some contentious contract negotiations, Leach is a generally beloved figure around Lubbock, one of the game's few genuinely unique characters and the most successful coach in Tech history to boot; the Raiders' first obvious regression on the field in his tenure this fall -- from a breakout 11-2 finish in 2008 to a relatively mediocre 8-4 in '09 -- isn't going to change that. If James' charge has legs, though, all the wins, passing records, primetime cameos and fawning national profiles may not be enough to save the Cap'n this time.

Go Badgers! Power vs Speed. Miami was fast. Scored the first TD in 23 seconds.

Kevin

Wisconsin came right back though, this should be a good one.

I'm pulling for Miami in this one

Wisconsin came right back though, this should be a good one.

I'm pulling for Miami in this one

Come on, MO, pull for Big Red, not the evil Hurricanes.

Kevin

Come on, MO, pull for Big Red, not the evil Hurricanes.

Kevin

Hehe, you don't want me to with my record this bowl season.

BTW as a Big XII fan the only Big Red in the country are the Cornhuskers.:act-up:

Hehe, you don't want me to with my record this bowl season.

BTW as a Big XII fan the only Big Red in the country are the Cornhuskers.:act-up:

If you like huge farm boy offensive lines you have to pull for the Badgers. They're all about the big boys up front, just like Nebraska.

Kevin

If you like huge farm boy offensive lines you have to pull for the Badgers. They're all about the big boys up front, just like Nebraska.

Kevin

OK, don't blame me if it all falls apart and they lose the game.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back