The Official 2009 NFL Thread

Yeah, I guess it messed up yours too JP!

Well, yeah... but if the Steelers beat Miami and the sun rises in the west AND the Mississippi flows north on an odd-numbered Tuesday, we can still make the playoffs!

Ya' gotta believe, baby!

Here We Go Mississippi, Here We Go! :thumb:

-JP

With all the talk about the playoffs and who is seeded where and all the scenarios, Id rather not have a bye the first week. I want Dallas to beat the eagles so I dont have to listen to all the stupid eagles fans here but Id rather keep playing. I think its important to keep the flow. And if you look at recent years the teams with home field and a bye havent been as successful as youd think.

No one ever said that you had to have a big arm to be succesfull. What was said was that you had to have an arm and be able to throw the deep out. You also have the head for it. He has the arm but not the head. And to compare his progression with that of Mannings is laughable. Manning came in as a rookie and was average to below average at best. He has gotten better every year he has played. Cutler came in and was average, got slightly better and has regressed. Not the same thing at all. Nobody is saying he will not be decent some day. But he is not there now and it is not the system, the WR's fault, or anything else that makes him throw into triple coverage multiple times a game.

Comparing the KURT Warner of today to that of the guy that won MVPs and Super Bowls is not the same either. From the moment he got the starting QB job KURT got better with each season. Cutler is regressing. Will he be ok? Maybe. But he is not there now and it is not everybody's fault but his like you are implying repeatedly. Just like Brady Q stinking up the joint is not his WR's fault or the systems fault. Its his bad decisions and lack of arm strength to get the ball down the field once in a while.

JB you are making my argument for me - I agree with all of this - except of course your opinion that Cutler can't improve. Anyone can improve. Nobody knows whether he will or not, just as nobody knew for sure that Peyton would be the best QB in history when he started out, but you asked me for an example of someone who improved and my contention is that all the great ones improve every year. I did not put Cutler up as any kind of equal to Manning in any way, just pointing to him as an example of what I was thinking at the time.

JB you are making my argument for me - I agree with all of this - except of course your opinion that Cutler can't improve. Anyone can improve. Nobody knows whether he will or not, just as nobody knew for sure that Peyton would be the best QB in history when he started out, but you asked me for an example of someone who improved and my contention is that all the great ones improve every year. I did not put Cutler up as any kind of equal to Manning in any way, just pointing to him as an example of what I was thinking at the time.

Where did I say he WONT improve. I actually said he could improve. But you have said repeatedly in this thread that it is not him, its the system, the WRs, and that he should be in a west coast offense. Which he has proven that he cannot handle a short attack due to bad decision making.

You used Peyton as the barometer that qbs steadily improve. But Manning never regressed. Cutler has regressed. Its clear your a fan, and that is great, but so far you have him and Quinn on this learning curve with extreme potential and neither have given anything to think that could or will happen.

I cant wait for Dallas/Philly today. Its basically a playoff game in week 17 and should be a good game.

i have to go to a sportsbar to watch the game today :faint:

For those that always want to see the starters in the game and went to town on the Colts for pulling them, check out what happened to the Pats today.

Losing the WR that led the NFL in receptions. If this was Reggie Wayne, Colts fans would have been irate that he was still in the game. I know I would have been.

Hooray for the Atlanta Falcons!! In the 44 years of the franchise this season marks the first time we had back to back winning seasons. I know it is sad to say, but we take our victories where we can. But, you just wait until next year...gotta keep the streak going.

I can't believe the way KC is playing Denver today.

Wow Derrick Johnson has two INT returns for touchdown today for KC. They may just win this game.

Wow #2: Jamaal Charles 259 yards rushing. Wonder if the Chiefs can get the ball back and he can get 300? 6:20 left n the game.

Let's see if they give him the chance. INT in the endzone for KC.

EDIT: Nope, he's on the sidelines.

Let's see if they give him the chance. INT in the endzone for KC.

EDIT: Nope, he's on the sidelines.

you know, why not? what else are they playing for? that would've been a heck of a milestone. he'll be on the fantasy radar big time next year.

I'm thinking the same thing. Instead they ran a few plays and punted.

Great way to end the season for my Skins. Blow the game against the chargers 2nd string. Good to have you the past two seasons Zorn. You didn't really stand a chance with what management gave you and the way they underminded you. Best of luck going forward, because I'm sure you'll be handed your pink slip no later than tomorrow.

For those that always want to see the starters in the game and went to town on the Colts for pulling them, check out what happened to the Pats today.

Losing the WR that led the NFL in receptions. If this was Reggie Wayne, Colts fans would have been irate that he was still in the game. I know I would have been.

I know. And I wouldn't have wanted for the starters to play to long in that weather in Buffalo. To easy to pull or sprain something.

But, 19-0 does sound better that 17-2. Super Bowl Champ trumps all.

What a season... the Broncos are only the 2nd team since 1978 to start 6-0 and miss the playoffs. :banghead:

Each of the last 4 years they have cratered in the second half of the season. I have no clue what the solution might be.... but somehow they have to develop some kind of consistency, especially on defense. :confused2:

Packers looked sharp, albeit in a meaningless game. I'll be surprised if they don't beat AZ again next week.

Kevin

Great way to end the season for my Skins. Blow the game against the chargers 2nd string. Good to have you the past two seasons Zorn. You didn't really stand a chance with what management gave you and the way they underminded you. Best of luck going forward, because I'm sure you'll be handed your pink slip no later than tomorrow.

i thought for sure the skins were gonna walk away with a win...
ive said this to all my buddies who are skins fans... snyder needs to shell out the dough and get the hell outta the way... its not the guys on the field or the sidelines... its the guys in the offices that are killing the skins...

ill take the win even if volek was driving the wreck:bananadance:

What a season... the Broncos are only the 2nd team since 1978 to start 6-0 and miss the playoffs. :banghead:

Each of the last 4 years they have cratered in the second half of the season. I have no clue what the solution might be.... but somehow they have to develop some kind of consistency, especially on defense. :confused2:

I feel your pain... It's been hard watching them lose to teams they should be beating. I think that's why the Ravens are postseason bound is because they lose to good teams and they win against the bottom feeders. Defense will be a focus. Finding a young QB will be another. I wonder what McD will do with baby TO?

Also to throw salt on the wound... Da Bears (i.e. our 1st round draft pick from the "Pick 6" trade) won again so that pick is outside the top 10.

The Chiefs win over Denver moved them from the fourth pick to the fifth pick in the draft since we beat Washington this year.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks that the Jets are being set up like bowling pins by the Bengals right now?

-JP

No i think the Jets just knocked the crap out of the Bengals like a bowling ball does to pins

Back