The Official 2009 NFL Thread

The thinking was that since the fans, media, and NFL were going to be in Miami for the Super Bowl, then holding the Pro Bowl in the same location the week before would be more convenient and draw more interest. The guys that play in the Super Bowl will obviously not play, but many of them didn't (want to) anyway so who will know the difference. Plus, once the Super Bowl is over no one cares about football anymore so the game never got watched.

I think it is just a one year trial, but wouldn't swear to it. Probably not a bad idea to try.

Meh, it's the Pro Bowl, like biggsy said nobody actually watches it anyway and none of the players want to play in it. I would think even fewer players want to actually participate since it isn't in Hawaii.

Actually it should help that its not in Hawaii. Have you ever done that flight from the east coast? I love Hawaii but hate that flight. Just about the time I was ready to lose it you can start seeing islands and water. The flight was a big reason this past summer we went to Aruba instead of Hawaii. I heard this morning on the NFL channel on Sirius that players hated going to Hawaii and the stadium there sucks too.

Personally, I think that the Pro Bowl teams should just be ceremonial teams instead of actual teams who play an actual game, sort of like the "All Madden Team".

I think it's honor enough to be named to the team and there's no reason to pretend to actually play a football game that no one watches or cares about. And to now have this "game" played between the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl is even more ridiculous.

Note to NFL: Please stop trying to make the Pro Bowl seem important -- it isn't and it never was.

-JP

Personally, I think that the Pro Bowl teams should just be ceremonial teams instead of actual teams who play an actual game, sort of like the "All Madden Team".

I think it's honor enough to be named to the team and there's no reason to pretend to actually play a football game that no one watches or cares about. And to now have this "game" played between the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl is even more ridiculous.

Note to NFL: Please stop trying to make the Pro Bowl seem important -- it isn't and it never was.

-JP

:crying: I thought I'd never say this to a Steelers fan, but I agree 100% with you. :crying: Half the guys don't want to play in it so why have the game. Either make it just a ceremonial thing or make the players actually play in it to be called a Pro Bowler. Let Brett Farve go down as a nominated 13 time Pro Bowler (or how ever many times he's been picked). Don't just call him a 13 time Pro Bowler since he's played in what 1 or 2?

Actually it should help that its not in Hawaii. Have you ever done that flight from the east coast? I love Hawaii but hate that flight. Just about the time I was ready to lose it you can start seeing islands and water. The flight was a big reason this past summer we went to Aruba instead of Hawaii. I heard this morning on the NFL channel on Sirius that players hated going to Hawaii and the stadium there sucks too.
I haven't done the flight to Hawaii, I flew to Paris from Cincy though and that flight sucked! I always thought the players enjoyed getting to go to Hawaii, oh well it doesn't really matter to me because I'm not watching it either way.:D

I haven't done the flight to Hawaii, I flew to Paris from Cincy though and that flight sucked! I always thought the players enjoyed getting to go to Hawaii, oh well it doesn't really matter to me because I'm not watching it either way.:D

Try LAX to Manila with a fuel stop in Guam. :rolleyes: Some 21 hours on a Philippine Air 747 where the reading light doesn't work, and I can't get sound for the in flight movies. :banghead:

Cutler in a short pass attack like west coast style? He has a cannon and lacks some accuracy. The down the field stuff and deep outs are his best weapons. Last night the 1st drive showed his ability or lack there of to throw the short stuff.

So your saying that it would be impossible for him to learn to throw those short passes more accurately? If that is true then they should get rid of him now and put in somebody else.

So your saying that it would be impossible for him to learn to throw those short passes more accurately? If that is true then they should get rid of him now and put in somebody else.

When did I say that? But why would you try to fit a square peg in a round hole just because it has worked for other QB's and other teams.

Good God man are we really going there??????
Sure he would, but his claim to fame is his arm strength. The fact is he consistently makes poor decisions, hopefully for him and the Bears he can get it figured out.

First of all I don't know who you are. Second I do not take comments that are demeaning very well, especially from people I don't know. I am not sure what prompted you to post a comment that ridiculed my post but it is a free country and you can do what you want. I am sure someone thought it was cute.

Haha, I thought it was just the system that Cutler is playing in?

The fact is that Cutler would be far more successful running a short pass West Coast style offense than he is in this Bear's offense that has him throwing every other pass 30 yards down the field. Thanks for ridiculing.

Good God man are we really going there??????
Sure he would, but his claim to fame is his arm strength. The fact is he consistently makes poor decisions, hopefully for him and the Bears he can get it figured out.

First of all I don't know who you are. Second I do not take comments that are demeaning very well, especially from people I don't know. I am not sure what prompted you to post a comment that ridiculed my post but it is a free country and you can do what you want. I am sure someone thought it was cute.

When did MO ridicule a post of yours? Your post I quoted above was the first I saw from you on Cutler. Or did you make a post and delete it? Because the post you made before that was something about the Cowboys. :confused2: Maybe I missed something?

When did I say that? But why would you try to fit a square peg in a round hole just because it has worked for other QB's and other teams.

Good players get better every year and reduce their weaknesses to the point where they are no longer much of a factor. Bad teams let players go along and take whatever they can get from them.

When did MO ridicule a post of yours? Your post I quoted above was the first I saw from you on Cutler. Or did you make a post and delete it? Because the post you made before that was something about the Cowboys. :confused2: Maybe I missed something?

I posted earlier that Cutler was not going to do any better than any other quarterback in Chicago because of what they are doing with their passing game, because of the system they were running.

You didn't miss anything Smalls, I didn't intentionally ridicule him it was on accident. Besides if I was going to ridicule a post that he had made in this thread it would have been the one where he made it sound like he had played QB in the NFL for at least one year and therefore JB was wrong because he didn't have any NFL experience.

So you don't think those are the passes being picked? I never said that that is the only pass thrown. How many years did you play in the NFL?

Good players get better every year and reduce their weaknesses to the point where they are no longer much of a factor. Bad teams let players go along and take whatever they can get from them.

Really? Do you have any examples? I see players getting worse just as much as I see players getting better. lets face it. Cutler was overrated because he was throwing to a great WR in Marshall that is making Orton look super human. CUtler makes bad decisions and has been doing it all season. Its not just the system.

Really? Do you have any examples? I see players getting worse just as much as I see players getting better. lets face it. Cutler was overrated because he was throwing to a great WR in Marshall that is making Orton look super human. CUtler makes bad decisions and has been doing it all season. Its not just the system.

Easy - Peyton Manning had what something like 29 interceptions his first year in the league, looks to me like he got better. There is always going to be erosion of skills with age but in my opinion Curt Warner is also a better QB today than he has ever been, smarter, more efficient. I am not saying Cutler is not making bad decisions, he is, and who knows if he will ever figure out how to play. Originally we were talking about big arm vs average or adequate arm and the fact you had to have a big arm to be successful in the NFL. I believe Cutler's development is actually being stunted by relying on that big arm too much and I still think that. It is similar to the speed guy who hasn't learned yet not to run backwards after catching a punt. That might work for a big return once in 50 tries but the best thing to do is to go straight up the middle and take what you can get.

Easy - Peyton Manning had what something like 29 interceptions his first year in the league, looks to me like he got better. There is always going to be erosion of skills with age but in my opinion Curt Warner is also a better QB today than he has ever been, smarter, more efficient. I am not saying Cutler is not making bad decisions, he is, and who knows if he will ever figure out how to play. Originally we were talking about big arm vs average or adequate arm and the fact you had to have a big arm to be successful in the NFL. I believe Cutler's development is actually being stunted by relying on that big arm too much and I still think that. It is similar to the speed guy who hasn't learned yet not to run backwards after catching a punt. That might work for a big return once in 50 tries but the best thing to do is to go straight up the middle and take what you can get.

No one ever said that you had to have a big arm to be succesfull. What was said was that you had to have an arm and be able to throw the deep out. You also have the head for it. He has the arm but not the head. And to compare his progression with that of Mannings is laughable. Manning came in as a rookie and was average to below average at best. He has gotten better every year he has played. Cutler came in and was average, got slightly better and has regressed. Not the same thing at all. Nobody is saying he will not be decent some day. But he is not there now and it is not the system, the WR's fault, or anything else that makes him throw into triple coverage multiple times a game.

Comparing the KURT Warner of today to that of the guy that won MVPs and Super Bowls is not the same either. From the moment he got the starting QB job KURT got better with each season. Cutler is regressing. Will he be ok? Maybe. But he is not there now and it is not everybody's fault but his like you are implying repeatedly. Just like Brady Q stinking up the joint is not his WR's fault or the systems fault. Its his bad decisions and lack of arm strength to get the ball down the field once in a while.

No one ever said that you had to have a big arm to be succesfull.

True.

Just look at Joe Montana.

His stock in trade was the short pass to running backs, tight ends and slot receivers. He's often remembered for the big plays to Rice, but it was the then brand new West Coast offense which allowed Rice to be open deep and thus a comparatively easy target.

Montana was accurate and threw a solid pass, but he was not known for throwing bombs and his low career INT numbers are more a testament to those short passes and the short-passing scheme than to any field-stretching deep balls.

-JP

I just want to know if Tampa and Detroit both win this week, can Kansas City move into the #2 draft spot? (When they lose to Denver!)

I've seen in one mock draft that they were picking 3rd, for what it's worth. They show them taking Russel Okung, OT from Oklahoma State.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

NFL .com shows them fourth in league standings (tied with Tampa with 3 wins, but they have Tampa in the third spot, I just figure that's based on tie breakers). They had to go and beat Pittsburgh which really messed up the season!

If it comes down to a coin toss, Tampa will lose that too. Just like we lost the one a few years ago.

If it comes down to a coin toss, Tampa will lose that too. Just like we lost the one a few years ago.

Now THAT'S funny!

Yeah, I guess it messed up yours too JP!

Back