Big Break Florida (Spoilers)

I'll never be half the man Mary is...........

Just went and looked at Golf Channel and saw a couple things. Sadena had to make that decision twice. She really should've taken the money again, nobody was going to pick her off the range for the elimination. Courtney is, and this shocked me, 28 years old. She acted and looked, imo, like a 23 yr old. Her sobbing, hysterical goodbye (video on GC) seemed a little bit of a strong reaction; meaning I thought a 28 yr old would be more adept at dealing with feelings and disappointment. Maybe I'm just a coldhearted b@stard. Tom Abbott hinted in the host re-cap that she played crappy the whole time they were out there.

So, if she had taken the immunity the first time she'd just have been out for the whole day? But instead she took the cash, participated and ultimately earned immunity again? Yea, i guess i'd just have taken the cash and figured nobody would be that dumb to pick a good player...

Just went and looked at Golf Channel and saw a couple things. Sadena had to make that decision twice. She really should've taken the money again, nobody was going to pick her off the range for the elimination. Courtney is, and this shocked me, 28 years old. She acted and looked, imo, like a 23 yr old. Her sobbing, hysterical goodbye (video on GC) seemed a little bit of a strong reaction; meaning I thought a 28 yr old would be more adept at dealing with feelings and disappointment. Maybe I'm just a coldhearted b@stard. Tom Abbott hinted in the host re-cap that she played crappy the whole time they were out there.

I think this is one of the few times that the worst player has actually gone home first, which is good. I want to like this show but some of the challenges, like the glass breaking, simply have nothing to do with one's golfing ability or potential. Most of the challenges are chipping contests which is just ludicrous to me.

Most of the challenges are chipping contests which is just ludicrous to me.

I'm trying to stay engaged, but I only see about 2 or 3 players I want to watch that actually seem to have some skill. But how would we know when we've seen a couple of these girls hit like three balls in two shows? I certainly don't think Mary gets rattled at all and has game (and intimidation) enough to do it.

I'm trying to stay engaged, but I only see about 2 or 3 players I want to watch that actually seem to have some skill. But how would we know when we've seen a couple of these girls hit like three balls in two shows? I certainly don't think Mary gets rattled at all and has game (and intimidation) enough to do it.

For sure, I won't be surprised if she wins it. I think when Mary starts blasting her driver past everyone else the intimidation is only going to increase, that is, if they ever let these girls hit driver.

For sure, I won't be surprised if she wins it. I think when Mary starts blasting her driver past everyone else the intimidation is only going to increase, that is, if they ever let these girls hit driver.

Her T92 finish this last weekend would suggest otherwise....

Her T92 finish this last weekend would suggest otherwise....

FWIW, Sar Brown, Emily Talley and a couple other BBers were down there, too, and I'm pretty sure they had torrential rain and delays like crazy. Could've affected anyone.

Not sticking up for Mary, but a bad round don't mean doodie. Look at Tiger! :disapointed:

Edit: Mary is only 54th in distance @ 261 and 107th in GIR @ 51%, you may have a point. :)

I just stumbled onto Big Break last night and not sure if I like it this year...

I can't believe Sadena had a chance at 5,000 total but took the immunity, that's a great decision to have. I think she made the right choice.

I want to root for Mary as she's from Nebraska, but her attitude is tough to root for.

Like last ngiht when she asked how close the 1st place person was and then doesn't' even come close.

Having read/watched several interviews by players it doesn't surprise me at all. She'd already won $2500 so why be greedy? Remember hubris will lead to the fall. These ladies stand around for hours in between shots while new challenges are being set up. Then asked to get up and make one shot with no practice or warmup. And that shot, every shot, has the potential to have your career on the line. I don't care how good you are, that can give you pause. Especially when you already have $2500 in your pocket.
I'll meet you at a driving range and paint a 20' circle around a flag 120 yards out. You don't get any warm up other than your normal swing routine. If you make it, I give you $500, you miss, you give up golf. These ladies, misguided or not, are playing for their careers. Would you take the challenge. Not trying to put you on the spot, just putting it in perspective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Difference is these girls are supposed to be pros, maybe bottom level pros, but still pros. I would think any pro player would jump at the chance to go out and be given the shot to hit into a 20' circle from 120yds out. And it certainly is not make the shot or give up golf either, its make the shot and continue, miss and maybe be in the elimination challenge where you will have another shot or shots to stay on the show.

Same here, only reason I am watching is I know one of the girls, otherwise this season only 2 shows in has been the worse.

I can't believe Sadena had a chance at 5,000 total but took the immunity, that's a great decision to have. I think she made the right choice.

I want to root for Mary as she's from Nebraska, but her attitude is tough to root for.

Like last ngiht when she asked how close the 1st place person was and then doesn't' even come close.

I was really hoping she would take the money. I know it is early, but I believe she has to skill to escape playing in the elimination challenge.

I may be wrong, but had she taken the $2500 she would have also had a chance for the $1500 Travelocity credit. I am no where near her level, but I believe I would have had to play it out.

Difference is these girls are supposed to be pros, maybe bottom level pros, but still pros. I would think any pro player would jump at the chance to go out and be given the shot to hit into a 20' circle from 120yds out. And it certainly is not make the shot or give up golf either, its make the shot and continue, miss and maybe be in the elimination challenge where you will have another shot or shots to stay on the show.
When I said, give up golf, I was putting it perspective. I know that now what's on the line for them, but their professional career could be on the line based off of one shot on this show. Since you or I won't be playing professionally, more than likely, I was using that for comparative purposes. It's really moot, because the odds of seeing any of these girls on the LPGA is slim. Look at the relative few who have made it out of all of the women and men that have competed on the Big Break series. There are a few examples and that's it. Odds are, she would have been fine taking the money, but I understand NOT taking it as well. Think of how many threads there are about people complaining about getting cold waiting for the group in front of them on this forum. I play with people that feel like they get out of their groove waiting. Now translate that to this show. Adrenaline pumping, people watching just you up there, cameras all of the place, you've been standing around for 2-3 hours waiting for everything to get set up then they ask you to make "this shot, right here, right now," there's no warm up, just get out there and go. I've never done it, but I can imagine the nervousness of having to do that and make the choice. I've seen some pretty good golfers make some horrid tee shots at THP events just having a relative handful of people watching the first hole tee off, with one camera at most. After that, they are fine, because it's just the group, but there is the mental stress side of the equation, but these girls have to do it on every shot, not just one here and there.

Coincidence, I just made this post, then the next thread I see was JB asking how you play the first hole at a THP event. First comment was about nerves and people watching.

Just caught up on this thread and the 1st 2 episodes this season. Through 2 shows, not really impressed... Mary is interesting in that she is as abrasive as 40 grit Sandpaper.

Sadena by far seemed the most capable, but the quality of play overall is lacking so far.

Lyndsay picking Mary for elimination was a brilliant stroke IMHO. Mary hadn't played well in that episode, so if she blew up, you got rid of a potentially dangerous player down the road very early. On the other hand, it worked out just like she hoped in that Courtney was so intimidated she didn't even have a chance.

I think I will have to keep watching as that was a great strategy.

I am just glad we don't have to hear "Freakin Monkeys" anymore.

I'm still trying to search for a reason for Sadena's need to choose the $2500 vs. immunity the second time around in the same episode when the other 3 girls that made the cut didn't have to choose anything, they were just immune from elimination. There's something that was going on behind the scenes that didn't make the cut and we aren't aware of.
In my search, I ran across this so I thought I'd share it. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/big-break-florida/big-break-florida-show-2-producer-blog/
If anyone has an answer, I'd love to hear it. Yes, I know I'm obsessing, but stuff like this just drives me crazy and I need to understand it. GRRRR.

Interesting read but those were the best questions they could come up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I actually liked the Freakin' Monkeys. :)

You could see why Courtney got eliminated - with little to no tournament experience, the pressure got to her.

It's interesting to see the show on TV and it seems like no big deal. But the players always talk about how intense the pressure is, so when you're there it must be crazy - all the competitors watching you, the producers, cameras, etc.

Perhaps it's something like teeing off in my first THP event ? I'll find out in Ocean City in June... freaking monkeys !

Interested read but those were the best questions they could come up with?

Yeah, they were pretty weak. That's probably why they were chosen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It would be nice if they asked some good questions and we could get some insight into the show. Where can i apply? Really?... Freakin monkeys....

I'm still trying to search for a reason for Sadena's need to choose the $2500 vs. immunity the second time around in the same episode when the other 3 girls that made the cut didn't have to choose anything, they were just immune from elimination. There's something that was going on behind the scenes that didn't make the cut and we aren't aware of.
In my search, I ran across this so I thought I'd share it. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/big-break-florida/big-break-florida-show-2-producer-blog/
If anyone has an answer, I'd love to hear it. Yes, I know I'm obsessing, but stuff like this just drives me crazy and I need to understand it. GRRRR.

The answer is simple, just don't watch this crappy show. That's what I do.

Back