Is Tiger through?

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
I don't know if links to articles are allowed here, but I think this article is one of the best on the subject of Tiger that I have read this year. Joe Posnanski spent several years as a columnist for the Augusta Chronicle here earlier in his career, and was always very insightful and clearly was destined for greater things as a writer. I don't know if he is correct in this assessment of Tiger, but it is definitely food for thought.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/07/18/writing-off-tiger/?xid=cbssports

Hmmmmmm good article there Sam! Very entertaining and although it will get a rise out of the Tiger die hards, it has some interesting truths to it........

I like Posnanski a lot. But I don't think Tiger is "through" yet. It might be a lot tougher to beat Jack's record (and personally, I hope he finishes one short), but he's not through winning tournaments, let alone majors. Jack won majors at 40 and 46. Watson was one club long of winning at 59. Though I hope he falls short, I still think he beats Jack's record by more than a couple.

I got me a little belly laugh out of that one :laughing: LOL

I think that eventually Tiger will win again.

What I am most looking forward to is how Tiger responds once he does win. It will either be the media firestorm "TIGGER IZ BAKS". I also think that it could be like a damn breaking. Part of Tigers invincibility was his confidence and he doesn't have that right now and my question is "if tiger wins does he get that confidence back?".

I don't think Tiger is done, at all. I feel certain he will win more tournaments and likely more majors. But, I no longer think it is at all a certainty that Tiger will surpass Jack's major totals, either way one counts (14 to 18 professional majors, or 17 to 20 including US Ams). For years it has seemed to be a dead lock to happen, but no more.

Good point Gus.. Confidence breeds more confidence and that could be the ticket. We shall see.

Is he through?

That's a fair question. But I think the real question is: "Does he care if he's through?"

Here's an article that says quite a bit about Tiger and more importantly about being Tiger.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175263/

(When you get there, scroll down a bit to the title: "We Won Dad, but I'm lost...")

-JP

Through as the dominant, intimidating player? Maybe. Through as a golfer who won't place top 10's or win tournaments or majors? no.

I think 1 or two wins, and he'll be back to normal. I doubt he will cakewalk all though. All i think he really needs is the taste of winning again.

Is he through?

That's a fair question. But I think the real question is: "Does he care if he's through?"

Here's an article that says quite a bit about Tiger and more importantly about being Tiger.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175263/

(When you get there, scroll down a bit to the title: "We Won Dad, but I'm lost...")

-JP

Great read JP.....

Will be interesting to see either way. You don't forget how to be amazing he just can't think straight at the moment, if he gets that cleared up he'll be fine. Through all the equipment, swing coach, etc changes I really don't think it has to do with any of that. It's all mental.

I don’t know. It is easy to write Tiger off. If you are wrong, who cares. If you are right you can toot your horn about how prescient you were.
It is surely clear that Tiger is no longer a mortal lock to break Jack’s record. I am not even sure it is an even bet any longer. There are so many facets to the game of golf and you can lose all of them at any time. Now Tiger’s putter has gone sour and that is a big problem. His scrambling has not been what it was in the past either.

Here is why I think it will be tough. Take all of the things that make golf a difficult game to begin with and then compound that by an element of technological change that I think is unprecedented. Will you look at these guys coming up through the ranks? There has been as much change in the physical characteristics of the tour professional golfer as there has been in the tour professional tennis player. I don’t see many or any Lee Trevino’s out there. These guys are big and they seem to be designed to hit a golf ball. I think they all buy their clothing in exactly the same size, Golf extra long. Jack was a big guy when he came on the scene and he hit the ball a mile on a relative basis. However I do not think either the pace of equipment technology or physical development was anything like it is today.

I think we will continue to see changes in equipment and in the players themselves that will make it more and more difficult to stay at the top of the game as you mature. Taking the tennis analogy one step further, look at what has happened to Roger Federer. Not only has it gone away for Roger, it has gone away in a span of about twelve months! While nobody is saying it because Roger has always been an elegant player and a class act, it is unclear whether Roger will ever even be relevant again.

I think Tiger will win again. I think he will win majors again. I do think he is less than even money to beat Jack’s record and if golf continues to evolve at the pace it has over the last ten years I think a number of the longevity records that are in the books now will be very tough to beat.

My opinion is that if he hasn't won by this time next year, then he is finished. This year is a waste and he may not get his putting in shape to win anything this year. Given the improvement he's made with the long game since Augusta, the talent and ability to fix swing issue are still there somewhere. It looks to me like he has been spending what practice time he is having on the long game and was hoping the putting feel would just naturally be there.

You also have to think that by the time his 2011 season starts that whatever unresolved issues are still there will be settled. Once they are, I expect him to return to form to some more "normal" degree.

I am probably one of the biggest Tiger fans on the planet, but I have to say that I wondered this as well. Everyone says that the competition that Tiger faces is not on par with what Nicklaus faced but I disagree, these guys are playing on courses the are much longer, much tougher because of Tiger and the field. They even "Tiger proofed" augusta. When these guys play on courses that are "easy", which are courses that mostly havent been modified for these guys length, they are shooting 20 under.

Anyway, I feel that with all of his troubles and the emergence of young talents it may not happen for the guy who I feel is/was the best golfer ever.

I may be in the minority here, but I think this could HELP him in the coming years. Tiger pre-marriage focused on nothing but golf(and some things on the side). Once his divorce is settled and the year is over, he may be able to go back to focusing on golf and golf alone. Do I think he will ever be the guy who won 7 of 11 majors...maybe not, but I think he will break Jacks record and end up with about 20 majors.

I think it will help him too. I just feel he came back way too early but maybe it was a good thing. Golf is a game of stages. As AD stated he has done a good job of working on the swing. Once he gets it to where he wants it, the putter will be next. He can't right everything all at once. But I really think the mental aspect is killing him right now. I don't see how anyone could focus like they would need to on that stage with all he has going on (def self imposed). When putting you have more time to think and with all the thoughts he must have in his head, wow.

He isn't done and will be back. I'm not gonna toot my own horn because I said this when he does start winning again. He will break the record unless he retires early.

I may be in the minority here, but I think this could HELP him in the coming years. Tiger pre-marriage focused on nothing but golf(and some things on the side). Once his divorce is settled and the year is over, he may be able to go back to focusing on golf and golf alone. Do I think he will ever be the guy who won 7 of 11 majors...maybe not, but I think he will break Jacks record and end up with about 20 majors.

He needs to get divorced and sulk for the better part of a year. Those of you that have been through it know what it can do to your everyday life. After his head clears and he gets a taste of blood, he will most likely start winning again. I just wanted to get drunk 24/7 during that time of my life. I missed work and generally acted the fool. I couldn't imagine having to be the number 1 anything in the world at that time.

Not that he doesn't deserve to feel like crap. He has some hard times coming that he worked pretty hard for.

I dont think he is done by any stretch. But I want to say something here.

I am so sick and tired of commentators and media members that are saying how the divorce is in his head and making things harder. BULL! If they think that is in his head, how about living multiple lies and lives over the last decade and trying to keep them all straight. I would think his mind would be as clear as it has ever been right now!

He will be back, he has too much talent not to be.

I am so sick and tired of commentators and media members that are saying how the divorce is in his head and making things harder. BULL! If they think that is in his head, how about living multiple lies and lives over the last decade and trying to keep them all straight. I would think his mind would be as clear as it has ever been right now!

I think that it's more a matter of his divorce, situation, etc just being mentally draining more than anything. It just really changes your mindset on everything you do. When he was living a lie he was on top of the world. Now he is vulnerable, weak, pathetic, etc. It's surely a huge shock to his mental fitness.

I think that it's more a matter of his divorce, situation, etc just being mentally draining more than anything. It just really changes your mindset on everything you do. When he was living a lie he was on top of the world. Now he is vulnerable, weak, pathetic, etc. It's surely a huge shock to his mental fitness.

Maybe. But it could also feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off of his shoulders. I mean with the amount of lies he had going on in his personal life, this has to be easier from a day to day aspect.

Yup. He went from being king to one of the many. Pretty big fall especially for someone with an ego like that.

Although I agree to most of this, I think that the divorce is in his head. Not because hes afraid of losing money, wife, whatever, but moreso his kids. Although he still has rights to them and such, it wont be the same as being able to see them whenever he wants. As many lies as he was living, I think he would be a changed man off of the course. On the course is up for some debate. He has to share his kids now with Elin, whereas before they were theirs in union. Got to be tough on him, but not to cause this much of a wreck. But Im not him so I dont know. Maybe he just forgot the taste of winning, he doesnt seem to have the same passion. I hope a win or two will help him forget the hard times, and look forward to the good ones [without losing life lessons learned of course.]

Yeah, I can't even imagine how that life could have been considered a life. I think now that the weight has been lifted off, its more of a "Oh Cr@p.... now what???????" kinda thing. From a personal experience with a completely unrelated situation, I know once the weight was off there was a time of reflection that wasn't very easy.
Maybe. But it could also feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off of his shoulders. I mean with the amount of lies he had going on in his personal life, this has to be easier from a day to day aspect.

Back