WGC - Bridgestone Invitational [spoilers]

well, i just think that it's been fairly annoying how many chances he's had to take over the #1 spot only to do nothing. there's no doubt that this is something that he wants, so go and get it!!!

Keep in mind that not all of that is his doing though. The scoring the way it is setup leaves virtually no room for error. The scoring is so screwed up right now its absurd.

well, i just think that it's been fairly annoying how many chances he's had to take over the #1 spot only to do nothing. there's no doubt that this is something that he wants, so go and get it!!!

I could not agree more! It's becoming a bit of a drag. C'mon Phil, take the damn spot already!!!

Keep in mind that not all of that is his doing though. The scoring the way it is setup leaves virtually no room for error. The scoring is so screwed up right now its absurd.

yes, i agree. why can't they run a ranking system similar to that of the lpga? seems to me that the #1 ranked player on the lpga is not only in contention and winning but quite frankly, the best player at the time.

When Phil has said he's not worried about the number 1 ranking do you believe it? Lee said earlier in the year he thought he could become number 1 and his performances look like he wants to be world number 1.

yes, i agree. why can't they run a ranking system similar to that of the lpga? seems to me that the #1 ranked player on the lpga is not only in contention and winning but quite frankly, the best player at the time.

Its actually not that different. Remember Ochoa was number one for so long that she did nothing for about a year too and never lost her spot.

When Phil has said he's not worried about the number 1 ranking do you believe it? Lee said earlier in the year he thought he could become number 1 and his performances look like he wants to be world number 1.

good point ddec, maybe phil's not all that concerned about it. i do find it hard to believe but perhaps. the way he played at augusta, he wanted it!! i haven't really seen that intensity since. westwood really has been the most consistent, best golfer this year imo. yes, he hasn't gotten it done, but he's been right there in most of the big ones. he'll be in contention again this weekend too.

Its actually not that different. Remember Ochoa was number one for so long that she did nothing for about a year too and never lost her spot.

what would be the ideal way to measure? should it be a weekly/monthly thing?

good point ddec, maybe phil's not all that concerned about it. i do find it hard to believe but perhaps. the way he played at augusta, he wanted it!! i haven't really seen that intensity since. westwood really has been the most consistent, best golfer this year imo. yes, he hasn't gotten it done, but he's been right there in most of the big ones. he'll be in contention again this weekend too.

I dont know. If the best player is measured by top 10s, then yes, but I am not sure you can do that. The PGA Tour, which has the deepest talent pool and the majors should be the most heavily weighted and frankly without winning (I know he backed into a win), you should not be #1.

what would be the ideal way to measure? should it be a weekly/monthly thing?

They can make it similar. In my opinion it has to be a 12 months, not 24 months. I also think you should get more points for wins regardless of tournament. Maybe it would make some of these guys get to playing a little more.

I dont know. If the best player is measured by top 10s, then yes, but I am not sure you can do that. The PGA Tour, which has the deepest talent pool and the majors should be the most heavily weighted and frankly without winning (I know he backed into a win), you should not be #1.

so, whoever has a "W" should be in consideration. you know i'm a huge phil fan, but i honestly can't say that he's played better golf than westwood this year. yep, he won at augusta, but do you believe that he's been the better golfer?

i think the main thing is that tiger should not be the #1 ranked golfer in the world!!!

They can make it similar. In my opinion it has to be a 12 months, not 24 months. I also think you should get more points for wins regardless of tournament. Maybe it would make some of these guys get to playing a little more.

are you saying?

since there are 2 tournaments going on this weekend...if Duval wins up at Turning Stone his win should be valued the same as if Tiger Wins this week, or Mickelson wins next week?

I did read that Lee Westwood got more points for finishing 2nd at the British Open than he did for winning in Memphis... I don't have a great understanding of the ranking system

so, whoever has a "W" should be in consideration. you know i'm a huge phil fan, but i honestly can't say that he's played better golf than westwood this year. yep, he won at augusta, but do you believe that he's been the better golfer?

i think the main thing is that tiger should not be the #1 ranked golfer in the world!!!

Winning the majors is what these guys play for. I look at competition in tournies played. Where they were in contention and I would Phil has played well enough to be ranked #1. He has a 1st (in a major), a 2nd, 5 top 10s, and missed 1 cut.

Westwood has 1 win (not a huge event), 2 seconds, and 6 top 10s (PGA TOUR STATS). Most are saying its a runaway with consistency, but its not that much better really. A little bit, yes. But he has NOT won a major.

how do the FedEx Cup tournaments play into the rankings? Do they receive any more points or are they treated as a reg tour stop?

Winning the majors is what these guys play for. I look at competition in tournies played. Where they were in contention and I would Phil has played well enough to be ranked #1. He has a 1st (in a major), a 2nd, 5 top 10s, and missed 1 cut.

Westwood has 1 win (not a huge event), 2 seconds, and 6 top 10s (PGA TOUR STATS). Most are saying its a runaway with consistency, but its not that much better really. A little bit, yes. But he has NOT won a major.

damn you and your compelling statistics!! having seen it laid out like that, it makes perfect sense.

how do the FedEx Cup tournaments play into the rankings? Do they receive any more points or are they treated as a reg tour stop?

Depends on the stop.

One of my favorite tournaments and last year we gave away a VIP Trip to the event (osahar). This year we have no trip, but we will do a contest because the field is stacked. Stay tuned for that info.

I love the smell of Bridgestone in the morning.

I fancy Westwood's chances this week.. He just really shows up in the big events and this is a very big event..

PGA is 2 weeks away then that point will be invalid JB :D

PGA is 2 weeks away then that point will be invalid JB :D

that's what i'm talking about!!! i'm glad to have another westwood fanboy on board!

that's what i'm talking about!!! i'm glad to have another westwood fanboy on board!

See avatar.

PS saying someone backed in to a win is BS, Graeme McDowell back into the US Open but no one gives him crap.

Back