WGC - Bridgestone Invitational [spoilers]

The Associated Press article about the end of the tournament had this blurb about Mahan on the 16th hole after hitting it into the flowers:
"That's where he went, over the bleachers, over everything, and into a flower bed. Because it was deemed to be part of the cement cart path complex, he was given a free drop in the walkway to the 17th tee. He played it safe, chipping through the green and into the fairway, then putted to 3 feet to save par."

I still think it's a bit fishy that the flowers were deemed part of the cart path complex, but oh well, that makes a little more sense than the flowers being an obstruction.

these guys and their caddies know the rules inside and out and put them to work FOR them. Like when tiger got a free drop from hitting a ball on top of a clubhouse, deeming it a "temporary immoveable obstruction" That was at the Bridgestone tourny in 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/2006-08-25-bridgestone-invitational_x.htm

Last edited:
Yes, I found TW's getting a free drop after hitting his ball on the roof and Mahan getting one as well more than questionable. I've never played a golf course where either of those two shots would have been granted a free drop. The tournament "committee" might have deemed it so but it cheapens the game and rules in my opinion.

What a big glass of fail by Phil! He should have taken over the world number one and he chokes. Maybe he need to put that silly putter away and get a Backstryke since hes using Odyssey.

What was hunters driver. It looked like Kuch's tourstage proto? Didnt look like a ping at all! Will there be a WITB tomorrow for this one?

What was hunters driver. It looked like Kuch's tourstage proto? Didnt look like a ping at all! Will there be a WITB tomorrow for this one?

According to a WITB interview on his website posted on July 19th he's using a Ping Rapture driver.

I thought that too, but when i paused the video at 1:44 here, it didnt look like the rapture to me. It very well could be and I could just be unfamiliar with the product though,
k15 id bet

Edit: I googled it and it looks like the V2. I forgot about the v2, i was thinking of the older rapture.

Here you have it, this was on pgatour.com tonight...

In My Bag: Hunter Mahan
Driver: Ping Rapture V2 (10.5 degrees loft)
Fairway Wood: Ping i15
Hybrid: Ping i15 (17 degrees)
Irons: Ping S56 (3-PW)
Wedges: Callaway (2)
Putter: Ping iWi D66
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Back