Wedge Setup and Why?

So originally, I had the Mizuno MP-37s giving me a setup for PW(47)/52/56/60.

However, after changing to the R9s, the PW(46) and AW(50) that comes with the set are a good amount stronger than what I had leaving a pretty decent sized gap between the AW to 56.

Not fully sure what I'm going to do yet since I have no intentions of giving up the 60 degree lob, I love that club too much. I might consider getting a 54 down from the 56, but then again, I' doing just fine with just avoiding that gap completely by leaving myself comfortable approaches rather than those in my gap.

So originally, I had the Mizuno MP-37s giving me a setup for PW(47)/52/56/60.

However, after changing to the R9s, the PW(46) and AW(50) that comes with the set are a good amount stronger than what I had leaving a pretty decent sized gap between the AW to 56.

Not fully sure what I'm going to do yet since I have no intentions of giving up the 60 degree lob, I love that club too much. I might consider getting a 54 down from the 56, but then again, I' doing just fine with just avoiding that gap completely by leaving myself comfortable approaches rather than those in my gap.

Tm and a few other companys run their lofts a little stronger than normal. I had the r7s for a few month before I switched to the Nike Splits. Whan I went to check the specs I was surprised to see that the TM irons were 5-6* stronger than on every iron.

Tm and a few other companys run their lofts a little stronger than normal. I had the r7s for a few month before I switched to the Nike Splits. Whan I went to check the specs I was surprised to see that the TM irons were 5-6* stronger than on every iron.

TM does. But I also think that has to do with GI vs GE.

My wedge setup consists of a 54* wedge. You can open it up, you can shut it down. If you need to do everything with one wedge, you dont have to debate on which wedge you shouldve hit.

How many times have you said "i shouldve hit the other wedge?". Now all I can truly say is "I hit it too hard", or "Shouldve hit it higher"

Yep....pretty undecided on what to do about it.

Basically, my PW/AW are consistent while my 56/60 are consistent leaving about a extra club difference between the two, however, I've used the 56/60 combo forever and I'm too used to them for the short game shots that I'm hesitant to bridge the gap with a 54.

Either way though, it's a tiny bit annoying, but I just have to think about which club I'm leaving for my approach when I hit my shots. I've managed to get to the point where I don't end up in the "hole" anymore, but it's very definitely there.

current wedge set up is
PW-46
Niblick-49
GW-53
SW-56
LW-60

future state- (as of 9/11/10)
PW-46
Niblick-49
GW-50
SW-54
LW-58

I use a 47 VR PW 52,56,60 Vokey but something is jacked with either my PW or my Vokey because I hit them identical distances with identical ballflight.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

I have been seriously considering this setup myself... I never feel the need to play a 60 degree, as I do a decent job opening up my 56, and always feel like the gap between PW and 52 is the biggest weak point of my bag. I noticed this is a rather old quote.. Did you ever follow through on that JB?

My set up is in my sig.

I have a pretty big gap from PW to GW due to strong lofts in my iron set. I've been using all three wedges around the green depending on the lie and distance. During practice sessions I can really, really do some cool things with my LW, but during my rounds I chicken out or something. I have been working my a** off on the hinge and hold technique and it is really getting close to paying off. I just need to trust my technique and not hurry when I'm on the course.

My G15's are 45, 50, 54, & 58. My coach suggested I consider taking my 3 wood out of my bag since I can hit my 5 wood more consistently and almost the same distance. He said I should consider a 62 degree wedge. I have never tried one...maybe at the outing?????

My R7 PW is 45*, so I am currently gaming a 48*, 54* and 60* setup. This actually works quite well for me at the moment, even though theoretically I'm gaming 2 pitching wedges. I think only having the 3* difference between my 2 wedges is partially made up for by the fact that the R7 seems to play a little "hotter" than the 3 Cleveland wedges I have, and still gives me a 10-15 yard gap between the 2 clubs. Current approx carry distances for my wedges:
45* R7: 145 yards
48* CG12: 130
54* CG10: 115
60* CG10: 100

I use the 60* a ton, all shots from the fairway less than 100 yards, almost all greenside sand shots, many pitch shots too.

my wedges are all messed up now... but that is one of my goals in Florida.. to get this worked out right once and for all!!! :D

my wedges are all messed up now... but that is one of my goals in Florida.. to get this worked out right once and for all!!! :D

Seriously need some new wedges myself... my grooves are so worn they are almost inverted! The CG10s I have must be 4 or 5 years old. 7 more days and we'll be testing wedges until our hands bleed! :clap:

My wedges are getting a little worn. I may just break down and get the ones with that replaceable face. I might re evaluate my lofts while I am at it. I will prolly ditch the 73* too. I wind up laughing each time I break it out.

Currently I'm gaming:

standard 9 iron
pw - 46
gw - 52
sw - 56
lw - 60

But, the only change I'm really considering is swapping out the 9 iron for my 42* Niblick again. I did this for a while and not sure why I stopped. The Niblick gives me almost exactly the same distance as a 9I and versitility for those flatish chips that don't require too much loft.

Three wedges works fine for my game.

PW @ 46 degrees is good up to 130 yds
GW @ 51 degrees is good up to 110 yds
SW @ 55 degrees is good up to 95 yds

Anything shorter than that I use my 51 with a variety of open face / open stance setups which are good down to as little as 10 yards. I put a heel grind on my 51 so the leading edge lays very close to the ground even when it's wide open and I ground my 55 to allow for an open face down to fringe lies and it will work with a tight lie as long as it's a full swing and the ground is soft.

I grew up learning the open face / open stance style of wedge play and it works very well for me. I can understand carrying more wedges if a player generally sets up square to all shots and is using the loft and swing length to control distance. But the variable stance and face angle I grew up with has served me well and I've never felt the need to carry more wedges than what I do now. In fact, for most of my golfing life I just carried a PW and a SW.

The bonus is that I can add things like a 2-iron or an extra FW wood without having to change my wedge setup, which is cool.

-JP

Last edited:
I have two different set ups that I use, depending on the course that I am playing and my mood that day.

My pitching wedge is 48* so most days I will go with a 56* and 60*, every now and then I will go with a 52* and 58*.

TM Burner Plus PW @ 45 and 50/54/58 Nickent wedges.

I pulled my BP AW that came with the set in favor of the Nickent 50. The wedges came in a 3 club set so it's what I've been using. The 54 is my beach club unless the sand is wet then I use the 58. From 100 and in I pull the 50, if I need a to get over something and land soft then I'll use the 58.

PW @ 45 135yds, GW @ 50 120yds, SW @ 55 105yds, LW @ 60 90yds. Cleveland Hibore XLI PW & CG12 GW, Scratch 8620 SW & LW

I seldom hit full shots from inside of 110 yds so the wedges vary depending on the shot I'm trying to hit.

My PW is 45* so I went with 50*, 56* and 60*. This seems to fill my gaps as the PW is my 115 yd. club; 50* 100-105 yds.; 56* 90 yds. and 60* about 75 yds.

I have a set of gi irons that r very hi lofted and with my 9-iron being 39* n order 2 fill all gaps i actually carry 5 wedges.
PW-42.5*
AW-46*
GW-50*
SW-56*
LW-60*
This works well 4 me bcause i have a very versatile 19.5* hybrid that comes after my 3-WD,i can put down any shot n the book with that hybrid it is by far my go 2 distance club it works great from a weak lofted 3-WD 2 a strong lofted 3-iron.I would have 2 take out 1 if i was playin n a tournament cause i have 15 clubs.So if n a tourney i would take out the 5-iron bcause i can choke down on my 4-hybrid and use it as a strong 5-iron,or really go after my 6-iron hard as a weak 5-iron.it's not conventional but it works 4 me.

I have a set of gi irons that r very hi lofted and with my 9-iron being 39* n order 2 fill all gaps i actually carry 5 wedges.
PW-42.5*
AW-46*
GW-50*
SW-56*
LW-60*
This works well 4 me bcause i have a very versatile 19.5* hybrid that comes after my 3-WD,i can put down any shot n the book with that hybrid it is by far my go 2 distance club it works great from a weak lofted 3-WD 2 a strong lofted 3-iron.I would have 2 take out 1 if i was playin n a tournament cause i have 15 clubs.So if n a tourney i would take out the 5-iron bcause i can choke down on my 4-hybrid and use it as a strong 5-iron,or really go after my 6-iron hard as a weak 5-iron.it's not conventional but it works 4 me.

Hate to say it, but as long as you carry 15 clubs you also don't have an 18 handicap either. Add 4 penalty strokes per round to your average.... :D

Ask yourself... do I really need 5 wedges????

PW-42.5*
AW-46*
GW-50*
SW-56*
LW-60*

Are you typing this from a phone or something?

Back