Wedge Setup and Why?

I'm close then i guess.....I'm trying to figure out what to replace my PW with or if I even should......What do you use your PW for? I know it's diffrent for everyone but i never find myself in the position of 150-100 yards to use it....

My PW is essentially my 10 iron. It's for when I'm about 10 yards closer than I hit my 9I. I use my PW for chipping when I want the ball to release and roll to the hole. I hole more chips with that than any other wedge, because if the ball is rolling when it gets to the hole it has the best chance of dropping.

Out of curiosity, why are you never in the range of 150-100 yards out? That seems like a rather large spread in the area which most players consider to be the scoring zone. I'm probably within that range more often for my approach shots than any other. That range covers my 7I, 8I, 9I, and PW.

For an amature what is the best wedge combination to have in the bag? Currently I have a 45* PW, a 51* AW, and a 58* cg15.....is that a good range to have? what do you suggest, I very rarely use my PW, but am not sure what I could replace it with.

Clg82- check out clevelandgolf.com and do their free wedge set up questionnaire. It's pretty cool. Both SethO and I took it today and came out with the same make up. I currently carry a 46 PW and 53, 56, 60 wedges. The program suggested 50, 54, 58 for me so I'm going to look into bending my 53 to a 54 and my 60 to a 58 meaning I only need to buy a 50 yet.

I used to carry a 50/55/60 but now carry a 52/58. I find this works better for me and just adjust my swing accordingly. Plus, I have a "C" grind on both wedges, which gives me a bit more flexibility.

That cleveland golf wedge setup fitting is very cool. I like that a lot. According to my info, what I carry is the right loft and gap setup. It's good to know.

Hola

Hola

PW 48deg 110yds
GW 52deg 100yds
SW 56deg 90yds

I use my gap for anything below 90yds
also for chipping around the green

My PW is essentially my 10 iron. It's for when I'm about 10 yards closer than I hit my 9I. I use my PW for chipping when I want the ball to release and roll to the hole. I hole more chips with that than any other wedge, because if the ball is rolling when it gets to the hole it has the best chance of dropping.

Out of curiosity, why are you never in the range of 150-100 yards out? That seems like a rather large spread in the area which most players consider to be the scoring zone. I'm probably within that range more often for my approach shots than any other. That range covers my 7I, 8I, 9I, and PW.

I find myself more often then not from 50 yds in......just happens like that the majority of the time i guess!

Pw- 46 122
gw- 50 105
s/lw- 58 70

I find myself more often then not from 50 yds in......just happens like that the majority of the time i guess!

Perhaps you need to work on hitting to a specific distance. I've found that it has helped my game considerably to hit a club that puts me close to 120, or 110, or 100, etc. That puts me in a comfortable range to hit a full shot with a particular club, which is much easier than trying to judge a 40 or 50 yard pitch. Even on the tee, if it's a short hole, I'm not likely going to try to bomb the perfect drive.... I'll play a FW wood or hybrid to one of those "comfort zones".

I think you'll find that your scoring will improve more rapidly if you aren't always putting yourself in that awkward range. Even the Pros don't like those shots.

good question. I carry a PW which is set at 47 and I hit 150-155. I carry a 54 which I hit 125-130 and a 60 which I hit 100 yards and in. good setup I've used for years but I recently ordered a TM Z Smoke TP 56.12B & 60.6B to throw in my mix.

Re: Wedge Setup and Why?

Fourputt said:
Perhaps you need to work on hitting to a specific distance. I've found that it has helped my game considerably to hit a club that puts me close to 120, or 110, or 100, etc. That puts me in a comfortable range to hit a full shot with a particular club, which is much easier than trying to judge a 40 or 50 yard pitch. Even on the tee, if it's a short hole, I'm not likely going to try to bomb the perfect drive.... I'll play a FW wood or hybrid to one of those "comfort zones".

I think you'll find that your scoring will improve more rapidly if you aren't always putting yourself in that awkward range. Even the Pros don't like those shots.

I use my 58* for 50 yards in. I'm just wondering what I could replace the pw with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PW 46 - 120yds
50 - 105-115
52 - 90-100
58 - 65

I recently added the 50 degree to the mix because I was having a lot of trouble hitting good shots in the 100 yard range with a pitching wedge. The 50 lets me make a full swing and I have noticed much better results.

When I get my new wedges next month I am going to go with 50, 54, 58 degree wedges. This should give me perfect gaps with the lofts on my R9 irons.

My new iron set included the PW (46*) and DW (50*). I am planning to add a 56* niblick and a 54* wedge with very low bounce. If nobody is interested in the vokey wedges that I have in the marketplace, I am going to bend them to 54* and change the shaft lengths. I like the low bounce to really open up the club face for flops and cutting through the hard-pack sand I have to deal with. As for the niblick, that will be my go-to club for around the green and dropping the ball near the pin (hopefully). This should bridge my gap well if the niblick performs like a 58* wedge as many say.

46* pitch
50* gap
54* sand
58* lob

the versatility of shots that i have in a 4 wedge system is worth more to my game and scorecard than carrying 3 wedges. after a lot of shot tracking.....i was losing strokes inside 100 yards. it made sense for me to drop something like a 5 iron and make up for the larger gaps inside 100. i am consistently giving myself make-able 1 putt situations when i miss GIR's.

now it's when the 1-putt turns into 3 that i need therapy for.

Depending on the course I have 2 different set ups that I use.

First is a 52 and a 58 if there are longer par 3's and par 5's that are reachable in 2 I put in my 2H. If there is no need for a 2H then I go to a 52, 58, 64 set up. My PW is 47 so 50 as my GW is to small so I found that 6 degrees difference is the best set up for me.

Hi there, longtime reader but first post here.

I am planning to purchase a set of the R9 irons next month. I was going to order to 5-GW, but I am now wondering: is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the GW as part of the set? It seems like most GI sets now include the GW instead of the 3i as standard practice. However, after reading through this thread it appears most of you guys are playing your iron set only to PW, with everything after being from another manufacturer.

So… should I go 5-PW and play 3 ‘wedge’ wedges (GW,SW,LW) or go 5-GW with just two separate wedges? Thanks!

I am planning to purchase a set of the R9 irons next month. I was going to order to 5-GW, but I am now wondering: is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the GW as part of the set? It seems like most GI sets now include the GW instead of the 3i as standard practice. However, after reading through this thread it appears most of you guys are playing your iron set only to PW, with everything after being from another manufacturer.

So… should I go 5-PW and play 3 ‘wedge’ wedges (GW,SW,LW) or go 5-GW with just two separate wedges? Thanks!

I play callaway x22 3-pw with a AW and 58* cleveland cg15 wedge....it is all personal preference, the type of courses you play, and yardages that dictate what you will use.....

Like the name by the way!

I believe that the GW loft on the R9s is 50 degrees and I think it will be easier to hit with full shots. I ran into a little bit of an issue where my SW had too much of a gap between my GW.

Wedges

Wedges

Nike CCI PW - 47* - 135y
Cleveland CG10 - 54* - 100y
Cleveland CG11 - 58* - 80y

And because of the big gap there I just ordered a Cleveland Niblick 49* and can't wait to try it.

sharing my bag make-up here:

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5, stock reg, 44.5"
Callaway Diablo Tour 15 & 18, stock reg, -1/4"
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 21 & 24 hybrids, stock reg, -1/4"
Ping i15 6 - PW, AWT reg, orange dot
Callaway X-forged 50, 54, 58 -1/4" 2 flat
Odyssey Black Series Tour #9, 34", 360g (thanks to lead tape)

to accomodate the 4 wedges....i dropped a 5 iron. crazy as it sounds....the 4 hybrid is money in the bank for me as a 5 iron replacement. when i need 5i distance...i choke it and hold that swing tight. it took my awhile to develop the accuracy and control but it came around. otherwise...i just step on the 6i. i originally tried covering my 5w in the 3h spot but there was no stopping the 5w distance for me. (callaway diablo edge tour is a BEAST. i never thought i would love a fairway wood as much as i loved the 906F2...but these....MONEY).

anyway....that's the story behind the 4 wedges.

sharing my bag make-up here:

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5, stock reg, 44.5"
Callaway Diablo Tour 15 & 18, stock reg, -1/4"
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 21 & 24 hybrids, stock reg, -1/4"
Ping i15 6 - PW, AWT reg, orange dot
Callaway X-forged 50, 54, 58 -1/4" 2 flat
Odyssey Black Series Tour #9, 34", 360g (thanks to lead tape)

to accomodate the 4 wedges....i dropped a 5 iron. crazy as it sounds....the 4 hybrid is money in the bank for me as a 5 iron replacement. when i need 5i distance...i choke it and hold that swing tight. it took my awhile to develop the accuracy and control but it came around. otherwise...i just step on the 6i. i originally tried covering my 5w in the 3h spot but there was no stopping the 5w distance for me. (callaway diablo edge tour is a BEAST. i never thought i would love a fairway wood as much as i loved the 906F2...but these....MONEY).

anyway....that's the story behind the 4 wedges.

moved this one.

i have really been pondering going to a setup of a 50, 54, 58 and i honestly think that the bottom of the bag will really need to be addressed once the burner 2.0's show up. once i have them, i'll be going from the stock pw to a 52* and that's just too big of a gap.

moved this one.

i have really been pondering going to a setup of a 50, 54, 58 and i honestly think that the bottom of the bag will really need to be addressed once the burner 2.0's show up. once i have them, i'll be going from the stock pw to a 52* and that's just too big of a gap.

TC....I like your idea on this one. I too am thinking of the 50, 54, 58 setup. I think those gaps for me would work way better than my current setup, which is 51, 56, 61. I like the 5 degree gaps in my wedges, so I guess it all depends on what irons I decide to play. I like the stronger lofts of the 09 Burners and now with a hopefully better looking and performing Burner 2.0 the 5 degree gaps could work well. Maybe 50, 55, and 60. Who knows?? I'll tell you one thing though, going to the 4 wedge setup was the best thing I did for my golf game. There's just so much more versatility with 4 wedges!!

48°
52°
55°
60°
i swap my 55 with a 7w depending on what courses im playing

Pw 47* GW 52* Sw 58*
Same wedge setup back when I needed an extra slot for a hybrid. Now I could put a LW in but I'ld have to re adjust all my other wedges.
PW was orig 46* had that bent back a little to help with the gap in lofts.
Pw goes 135
GW goes 120
SW goes 100.
105 is the absolue WORST number for me. I use my Gw and hit a very smooth, soft punch shot.

My 58* has got plenty of bounce, almost too much on certain shots, but right now the 58* is my jack of all trade clubs. If I do get one more wedge its gonna be 60* but have the dual grind sole. That way I could open it up if I wanted and hit really high flop shots. Somethign I currently CAN"T do with my 58* (too much bounce).

Back