Official THP 2011 Golf Outing & Demo Day

Awesome CG! I am also looking forward to meeting you.

look forward to meeting all of ya as well - i hope the added pressure of a florida outing vs one of the toughest courses ive ever played vs one of the sweetest/most beautiful courses ever played - still allows me to shoot well lol.

look forward to meeting all of ya as well - i hope the added pressure of a florida outing vs one of the toughest courses ive ever played vs one of the sweetest/most beautiful courses ever played - still allows me to shoot well lol.

It's definitely a toss-up!! But in the end, does score really matter? After all, we are playing the same course as the pros do!! That in itself is something special.

I looked at hardcase golf bags last year and did not like what I saw. When I went to the outing last year I borrowed my bosses Club glove XXL soft sided bag. It was awesome, had plenty of room for my clubs and had extra room in it so it allowed me to check only it and take a carry on bag. Ogio also makes a real good bag I am told. Whatever you decide make sure you buy something called a stiffarm. It is roughly $25 and is well worth the price! ( it is shown on the Club Glove site below) Good luck in your search and I look forward to meeting you in Florida

http://www.clubglove.com/

http://www.ogio.com/

I would be scared clubs would be damaged in a soft case? you think those are protective enough? southwest said golf clubs in a hardcase would count as 2 checked bags - for free - so i was planning on using my 2 checks for clubs - and the GF 2 checked for our luggage.

Ill do some more searching. Out of curiousity what didnt you like about the hard ones?

I would be scared clubs would be damaged in a soft case? you think those are protective enough? southwest said golf clubs in a hardcase would count as 2 checked bags - for free - so i was planning on using my 2 checks for clubs - and the GF 2 checked for our luggage.

Ill do some more searching. Out of curiousity what didnt you like about the hard ones?

No way!! The Club Glove is built like a tank!! also the Stiff arm is a MUST!!! both carry extremely good warranties against damage. PLus also realize your bags will be checked befoe they get ont he plane and the locks on the bag were already TNA approved. I did not care for the hard side bags for a few reasons most notable they were all rather small very rigid and I was afraid they would break and open more then the soft sided ones would. The choice is yours and you have plenty of time to look around, but I would absolutely go with the soft side and the club glove and ogio are two of the best. And again do not forget the stiff arm!!

No way!! The Club Glove is built like a tank!! also the Stiff arm is a MUST!!! both carry extremely good warranties against damage. PLus also realize your bags will be checked befoe they get ont he plane and the locks on the bag were already TNA approved. I did not care for the hard side bags for a few reasons most notable they were all rather small very rigid and I was afraid they would break and open more then the soft sided ones would. The choice is yours and you have plenty of time to look around, but I would absolutely go with the soft side and the club glove and ogio are two of the best. And again do not forget the stiff arm!!

I have not ever used this mysterious Stiff Arm, but my club glove alone is a bastion of protection for my clubs. Not sure the function of the stiff arm, but I wrap a sweatshirt around the club heads to keep them locked down and it seems to work fine for me. I would never buy a hard case with the protection you can get from a high quality soft travel bag these days.

I shot a 108 on The Champion and I loved every shot. At the end of the day, I just enjoyed sharing a round with Uncle Daddy, One T and Ddec. Scores are secondary.

I have not ever used this mysterious Stiff Arm, but my club glove alone is a bastion of protection for my clubs. Not sure the function of the stiff arm, but I wrap a sweatshirt around the club heads to keep them locked down and it seems to work fine for me. I would never buy a hard case with the protection you can get from a high quality soft travel bag these days.

The stiff arm sits higher than the rest of your clubs and protect them from any impact. Here is a link with testimonials and a good graphic of the stiffarm in use

http://www.clubglove.com/user/stiff_arm_test.asp

Ditto. Well I played with different people but everyone I got to play with I had a blast. I hit every palm tree on the Champions course dead on. Fun stuff!
I shot a 108 on The Champion and I loved every shot. At the end of the day, I just enjoyed sharing a round with Uncle Daddy, One T and Ddec. Scores are secondary.

As has been said many times before and will be said many times again, these outings are not for competition and worrying if you have a bad round or take a bad shot. I think everyone who goes to this cold really care less about scores (well there was that 12 on a hole from TC that JB kept talking about) we all go to see our old friends, meet new people who quickly become friends, and just relax and have some fun and enjoy a common interest, that being golf. Last outing I had the privledge to play 4 rounds with some wonderful people and if all works out like I hope I will play another 3-4 rounds at this outing with some of people I did not get to last time. Just go and have fun, dont worry if you are "good enough" to be there, if you go then you are a member of this forum and you belong there no matter what your handicap or average score or skill level might be!!!

As has been said many times before and will be said many times again, these outings are not for competition and worrying if you have a bad round or take a bad shot. I think everyone who goes to this cold really care less about scores (well there was that 12 on a hole from TC that JB kept talking about) we all go to see our old friends, meet new people who quickly become friends, and just relax and have some fun and enjoy a common interest, that being golf. Last outing I had the privledge to play 4 rounds with some wonderful people and if all works out like I hope I will play another 3-4 rounds at this outing with some of people I did not get to last time. Just go and have fun, dont worry if you are "good enough" to be there, if you go then you are a member of this forum and you belong there no matter what your handicap or average score or skill level might be!!!

Well said my friend!!

No may, DO IT!! it retails for $20-25 and well worth the investment!

I had one too golf4life and it is worth it. I did what you did as well (wrapped towels and clean drawers around the heads) and the stiff arm will protect the clubs from impact coming directly over head vertically or horizontally if they're holding your bag and decide to throw it head first into a wall (more likely than the previous scenario). My softside looks and feels much like the Club Glove last bag only it was on sale for $75ish and with the stiff arm it ended up being $100 for the whole thing... well worth it. I recommend softsiders more because their easier to store especially in a rental car. G4L, I'll show what I got if we ever decide on the NE golf thing.

I had one too golf4life and it is worth it. I did what you did as well (wrapped towels and clean drawers around the heads) and the stiff arm will protect the clubs from impact coming directly over head vertically or horizontally if they're holding your bag and decide to throw it head first into a wall (more likely than the previous scenario). My softside looks and feels much like the Club Glove last bag only it was on sale for $75ish and with the stiff arm it ended up being $100 for the whole thing... well worth it. I recommend softsiders more because their easier to store especially in a rental car. G4L, I'll show what I got if we ever decide on the NE golf thing.

Cool. Yeah, hopefully we can play a round when you're up here next week!

well the wife is all for it (after she looked at all the spa options) now I just have to secure a place for the kids to go then I can confirm and start to make plans.

Chazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he coming to the outing G4L??????

LOL, Chazzzz!!!!!!! I'm not sure what my wife would do if I invited Chas along to the outing. But if I did, telling her would be one of those precious moments in time.

But its Chazzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a petition hahaha. Just sneak him in lol.
LOL, Chazzzz!!!!!!! I'm not sure what my wife would do if I invited Chas along to the outing. But if I did, telling her would be one of those precious moments in time.

Man, the Club Glove is all that you need, don't go for one of the hard cases. If you have a stand/carry bag, a Burstproof Club Glove bag should be fine; if you've got a bigger bag (cart or staff bag), go with the bigger Last Bag by Club Glove. I've got a Burstproof bag and I've made close to 20 trips with it and never had a problem, PM me if you want more info on it and some packing tips. One tip for free: Unscrew the heads of your driver and fairway wood on your R9 clubs and store them someplace else in your bag so that you don't have to worry about the shafts getting snapped near the hozel when they are in the bag!

You asked what someone didn't like about the hard cases. My biggest one: they are a pain in the ass trying to get them in some car trunks, especially if you're renting a car. Plus, the hard cases tend to be bigger than the Club Glove cases, and aren't better than them.

Thanks for the advice; everybody on cases - Ill def go with a clubglove in the offseason here (courses closing in a month probably). i appreciate the advice - ive never traveled with my clubs.

I know i probably wont shoot the round of my life down there- but it will DEFINATELY be the most memorable outing. Ill work on fine tuning some things on the indoor ranges over the winter however.

First question though : As far as demo days go: Will there be equipment available for purchase? I def want some miyazaki shafts on my Driver and FW. All the reviews here have sold me but I cannot demo them where im from.

I also want some true temper spinners on my wedges...

not sure how this works though? Ive never been to something like this. At a demo day do we try the equipment and then there are vendors there selling? Or do we demo items and then go home and purchase them?

I love my supertri driver - considering a 9.5 instead of 10.5 perhaps - and i absolutely love my R9 FW- that thing is money...

As far as the Nike machspeed irons go.... i like em but dont love em -- cant wait to try some demos down there - heard amazing things about the new calloways and the new burners... cant decide if i want to switch again so soon though - i hit some mizunos that felt so much sweeter than my nikes...would love it if i could rent or try a burner set for 9 or something if thats possible?

This could turn into one expensive trip hahhaha but i dont care- i love the sport and dont care what i spend enjoying the finer things involved.

On a closing note - I absolutely cannot wait to meet you all down there - the posts already have been more than welcoming!

I felt like the reviews on clubs and equipment here when i first joined was First class, and the few dinners i shared in the "whats for dinner thread" were well received (im also an amatuer cook that bartends nights and goes to college in the day). I already know this is going to be one hell of a good time - and only regret it isnt sooner!!!

ok enough banter for the late night! thanks again for everyone involved setting up, and assisting along the way.

As far as demo days go: Will there be equipment available for purchase?

not sure how this works though? Ive never been to something like this. At a demo day do we try the equipment and then there are vendors there selling? Or do we demo items and then go home and purchase them?

No, we do not have anything for sale at demo day and do NOT allow any sales reps or vendors. But everything at demo day will be available for sale from your favorite store or coming soon to your favorite store to purchase.

I want to add my 2 cents to the travel bag. I use a Taylormade soft side travel bag that I like quite a bit. It has made several legs of travel including cross country to Bandon Dunes. However I know many that prefer hard cases because the soft cases have been ruined. Heck, just ask OEM Kevin about his last trip to FL for the outing. On the way back the airlines mauled his travel bag.

Also, if you ask (and the item isn't under embargo) you might be able to demo it for one of the rounds! Many of us took a club or a few clubs out on the course with us to try out. There is nothing like a real-world demo to show you what a club can do.

Also, if you ask (and the item isn't under embargo) you might be able to demo it for one of the rounds! Many of us took a club or a few clubs out on the course with us to try out. There is nothing like a real-world demo to show you what a club can do.

Darn straight. It is the best way to find out what works.

Is it May yet?

Back