The Never ending quest for putter perfection

In order to get rid of all this putter confusion, simply attach a string to your ball, and the other end to the cup, and voila! We have long ranged "ball in a cup"
(Family guy anyone?)

Try out an Odyssey Black Series #5 if you can - with the tungsten weight. It has an insert instead of the milled face of the other black series, but oh my god is that ever a beautiful putter to use. I settled for the cheaper version and it just isn't the same in anyway. That tungsten weight seems to just make it.

[edit] I see that it the Black Series #5 now has a milled face. I may have to run to golftown after work today just to see if they have one for me to drool on.

I really like the feel of the Camerons. They are just the right amount of mushy firmness that I really like. I refuse however to put a Cameron in the bag. Are the Camerons a typical feel for stainless steel or are they different? I have never had a SS putter before

Thanks
I just don't understand why you can't play a SC when you make a statement like this.
Hey ...get past the hate.

Well for skimming my thread you get 2 smacks jeff. As I have said I have no hate for Cameron. Go read the long thread on this forum about Scotty being a copier and you won't find a post by me.

well then in response I have a SC studio stainless newport 2 in stainless and a byron morgan 007 in stainless and the SC has the feel you describe the Morgan does not.I love em both though. I'm just saying if you find a putter than has that feel you want and if it putts well also don't not put it in your bag just because it's a sc

Yeah I'm thinking the ribbing will be worth it if I'm draining putts. Would love to find a nice used Newport Tei3 and get it restored.

Try anything and everything you get your hands on. The SC might feel good now, but after you tried 10-15-20 putters that may change. Customization is also the key to any good putter.

I have a SC teryllium putter and I will never put it away. I love the feel of this putter. I cut it down to 33" and the weight is perfect. I soaked it in Coke to remove the glare. It looks pretty bad right now but it works for me. It also has a Winn grip that is wrapped with three layers of athletic tape. Looks disgusting but it's a good disguise. I'm actually thinking about sending it to the SC custom studio and getting it reconditioned and custom painted.

I have a SC teryllium putter and I will never put it away. I love the feel of this putter. I cut it down to 33" and the weight is perfect. I soaked it in Coke to remove the glare. It looks pretty bad right now but it works for me. It also has a Winn grip that is wrapped with three layers of athletic tape. Looks disgusting but it's a good disguise. I'm actually thinking about sending it to the SC custom studio and getting it reconditioned and custom painted.

Post pic's of this, I'd love to see it.

I actually just had a guy make an offer for me to buy his SC TeI3. It is stunning looking but I'm a little hesitant.

You want to see the nasty version or a customed finished version? It will be a while before I can convince the wife to spend $400 to restore a putter I spent $300 for.

===== QUOTE thedue ====

===== /QUOTE ====

You want to see the nasty version or a customed finished version? It will be a while before I can convince the wife to spend $400 to restore a putter I spent $300 for.

Show how nasty ugly it is, yet still working well. We'll really be able to appreciate the remodel, lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

If you send it to BOS it shouldn't cost anywhere near $400

The problem is I have a small cut in the insert and some of the white lining around the insert is missing. I didn't think anyone else would be able to fix that? Not sure tho.

I will take pics and post when I get home in 30 minutes to show what I am talking about.

Seriously you need to go to the BOS site and ask for a quote. I think you will be stunned at what they say. I've seen pics of putters that looked like they were dragged behind a car cross country and for $70 they looked brand new.

http://www.bosgolf.com/

I love my SC Newport Pro Platinum, I had really struggled finding something but got this I believe 5 years ago on my birthday and haven't looked since.

The problem is I have a small cut in the insert and some of the white lining around the insert is missing. I didn't think anyone else would be able to fix that? Not sure tho.

I will take pics and post when I get home in 30 minutes to show what I am talking about.

Along with all the other ailments this thing is also missing some of it's stuffing? Shoot the poor thing and leave it lay!

Seriously you need to go to the BOS site and ask for a quote. I think you will be stunned at what they say. I've seen pics of putters that looked like they were dragged behind a car cross country and for $70 they looked brand new.

http://www.bosgolf.com/

+1000

They are VERY good at what they do, just peek through the portfolio, it speaks for itself.

Here are the pics. Sorry for the poor pic quality. I had to use my cell phone.
attachment.php
[/IMG]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BOS or Putterlounge have both done work for THP and both came out very well.

I know I'm probably the only one with this thought process (because golfers love to tinker) but my take is find a putter that you love and stick with it. I've used only ONE putter the full 18 years I've been playing golf and have never thought of getting another, although I do own another Anser. I've gotten so used to it, it would take a season or 2 to break in another. I'm also only on my third set of irons and probably 5th or 6th driver, so I don't change equipment much anyway.

I know I'm probably the only one with this thought process (because golfers love to tinker) but my take is find a putter that you love and stick with it. I've used only ONE putter the full 18 years I've been playing golf and have never thought of getting another, although I do own another Anser. I've gotten so used to it, it would take a season or 2 to break in another. I'm also only on my third set of irons and probably 5th or 6th driver, so I don't change equipment much anyway.

I'd love to agree but the nature of a golfer is the equipment must be answer, not the swing. I haven't read this entire thread so I won't make any judgements, I can just say I went through a similar situation with drivers last year spending a ton of money before finally admitting to myself it was me, not the 10 drivers I bought that had issues.

As i am sure you have heard before, putters are probably the most personal club in the bag. What one person loves, another will hate. i am a self admitted putter HO...lol. i have tried so many different manufacturers and styles over the years it is ridiculous. Yes, SC's are very nice putters and i own some myself. i also own a custom Byron Morgan and a custom Gene Nead. i have putted with different Bettinardi models over the years and every other major manufacturer that you would find at a local golf store. Best thing you or anyone looking for a new putter can do is take some time trying anything and everything you can get your hands on. Narrow it down the best you can to what head shape you like, length of putter, toe hang, offset, etc. then narrow it to what material you prefer and if you want an insert or not, etc. Eventually you will find something that works for you (albeit will probably only be for 3 months before it fails you and its time to start the search over again).lol. sorry that is probably just me. but hey, if you like SC's feel then just buy a SC! if you do enough research on ebay you can find them for very reasonable prices. It amazing me that people will spend $400 or $500 every year on a new driver but cringe at spending anything close to that on a putter which you use WAY more than a driver. drop the cash and sink the putts and you wont look back with regrets.

As i am sure you have heard before, putters are probably the most personal club in the bag. What one person loves, another will hate. i am a self admitted putter HO...lol. i have tried so many different manufacturers and styles over the years it is ridiculous. Yes, SC's are very nice putters and i own some myself. i also own a custom Byron Morgan and a custom Gene Nead. i have putted with different Bettinardi models over the years and every other major manufacturer that you would find at a local golf store. Best thing you or anyone looking for a new putter can do is take some time trying anything and everything you can get your hands on. Narrow it down the best you can to what head shape you like, length of putter, toe hang, offset, etc. then narrow it to what material you prefer and if you want an insert or not, etc. Eventually you will find something that works for you (albeit will probably only be for 3 months before it fails you and its time to start the search over again).lol. sorry that is probably just me. but hey, if you like SC's feel then just buy a SC! if you do enough research on ebay you can find them for very reasonable prices. It amazing me that people will spend $400 or $500 every year on a new driver but cringe at spending anything close to that on a putter which you use WAY more than a driver. drop the cash and sink the putts and you wont look back with regrets.

+1 for the driver to putter comparison. Loved Sc for it's precision but not it's price. Just locked up my first SC used for only $99. Got to remember that that pro platinum is over 10 years old now so prices have definitly gone down. Especially on EBay

Any glare on that one?

Back