THP Match Play 2011 - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was it said that 1 OEM will sponsor all aspects or is it our speculation? Anyone think that each team with have a different OEM sponsor?

I'm thinking Bridgestone balls are a lock! Perhaps some others, but I would be stunned if they were not heavily involved.

For clubs, I'll guess TM, Callaway, Cleveland, Titleist, and perhaps Adams?

Clothing will be coming from Adidas, Footjoy, and for certain the fine folks at Sligo!

Just my guesses, what do I win if I'm right on all of them?

Well, with the new test irons probably WilsonStaff for clubs as well

Yeah, Cobra/Puma would be cool. you would look good all decked out in orange

Sorta like that time you were in prison! LOL

was it said that 1 OEM will sponsor all aspects or is it our speculation? Anyone think that each team with have a different OEM sponsor?

DDec you are asking a good question. I would love to see one OEM rep'd team against another

another thought is if it is match play and is done like a ryder cup...how crazy would it be with alternate shots? Talk about nerve racking if your partner puts one out in the fairway, and you put your approach shot in a bunker for him. haha. or he hits a nice 40 foot putt within 3 feet and you miss the next putt. I am nervous thinking about it.

yeah, but most of the major OEM's listed have their own balls and clothing lines...I am thinking whoever jumps in will really jump in. I have some that I truly hope to see in the mix.

That's what I'm thinking.... Taylormade, Callaway, Nike and Srixon/Cleveland can provide all aspects required, from hats to putters to balls.

Well, Cobra/Puma would have everthing covered as well!

Cobra doesn't do wedges or putters, unless you count Rife for putters, but then you're still missing wedges. OP said 14 club deal. So unless mixing and matching will be allowed, I'm not sure how that would work.

That's what I'm thinking.... Taylormade, Callaway, Nike and Srixon/Cleveland can provide all aspects required, from hats to putters to balls.

Don't forget about shoes too. Those will be included as well.

another thought is if it is match play and is done like a ryder cup...how crazy would it be with alternate shots? Talk about nerve racking if your partner puts one out in the fairway, and you put your approach shot in a bunker for him. haha. or he hits a nice 40 foot putt within 3 feet and you miss the next putt. I am nervous thinking about it.

In my buddies' annual golf outing, we always play at least 1 round of alternate shot. This is an incredibly hard format for amateurs. It is harder than you think to try and play to your partners strengths. Even determining who tees off first to set up the round is important and difficult. Also, as 1-T mentions, there is no stress like the stress of not letting your partner down. Its pretty intense.

yeah, but most of the major OEM's listed have their own balls and clothing lines...I am thinking whoever jumps in will really jump in. I have some that I truly hope to see in the mix.

I'm with you One-T, I think any OEM that commits to this is going to go all out. Reminds me of the thread where people asked who was the best "All Around" company. If we think about the OEM's that do head to toe we have:

Nike
TM/Adidas
Callaway
Titleist
Cleveland/Srixon
Wilson
Cobra/Puma (no ball or putter thought right?)

no thoughts of Sligo doing the cloths? They did team up with THP for some great cloths for PGA Coverage.

no thoughts of Sligo doing the cloths? They did team up with THP for some great cloths for PGA Coverage.

I'd love to see some cool new Sligo. Don't know how it will all come togther though. I can't wait for the announcement so all our questions will be answered!!

i wonder if you are involved if you will get your gear a couple of weeks ahead of time so you have plenty of time to test it out

i wonder if you are involved if you will get your gear a couple of weeks ahead of time so you have plenty of time to test it out

I thought about that this morning. I think it's a good idea.

That just sounds like one of my usual rounds. I would definitely be nervous about it, but I really love that pressure feeling.

It is really cool to see so many people wanting to play in this match play style event. I have played in Ryder Cup matches at my local club four years running. I have been fortunate enough to split my matches so I have broke even overall. Some years drawing easier opponents and other years being the under dog. One year myself and my team partner were paired against two lower handicappers. It was just the luck of the draw. We hung in there all square until the 16th hole. My friend and I were talking about how cool it was that we were hanging with the big boys and then boom, the pressure cooker was turned up a knotch. We loss the last two holes and I believe if we had just played the golf course, instead of being in awe of our competitors, we might have at least halved the match. Pressure get's tough in these matches. Trust me I was sweating bullets and although I tried not to show it, my heart was racing inside and my hands were wet. If this event is set up to be a free for all, fun outing and based simply on allowing THP members to enjoy the tour experience, then no sweat. If there is some competition thrown in the event, then be prepared to hunker down and put the gloves on. Oh and bring your sweat towel, you might need it.

I've decided this will be my logo. I would like it on the back of my hats and on my staff bag haha

logo.png

Just joined the forum a few days ago and this is the first event I see? Crazy!!

What if the Bag and Equipment sponsor was one OEM, then there were other "scripting" sponsors? Just food for thought. I'm not implying anything here as there are plenty of details that I am not privy to at all. When I think "Tour" experience I can't help but think that the Pros have their equipment deals, then their attire deals, then maybe a shoe deal.

What if the Bag and Equipment sponsor was one OEM, then there were other "scripting" sponsors? Just food for thought. I'm not implying anything here as there are plenty of details that I am not privy to at all. When I think "Tour" experience I can't help but think that the Pros have their equipment deals, then their attire deals, then maybe a shoe deal.

exactly what I was thinking earlier. No reason why the the OEM needs to be involved in ALL aspects.

And if we're lucky we might get more sponsors than that and would get the honor of looking like a walking billboard like say...I don't know Westwood?

I love this thread. Love.

Just joined the forum a few days ago and this is the first event I see? Crazy!!

You and me both. We still have about 5 inches of snow on the ground and I'm already trying to figure out a way to get some range time on the slight chance I might get to take part. Wouldn't want to duck hook that first drive.

And if we're lucky we might get more sponsors than that and would get the honor of looking like a walking billboard like say...I don't know Westwood?

We can only hope to look as good as Lee Westwood, lol

I'm contacting UPS right now to see if they will sponsor me at the outing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back