THP Match Play 2011 - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were times when the ball was 5" off the fairway and you had to look straight down on it just to find the ball. It took me forever to quit trying to sweep out and start picking the ball.
It makes sense when you see guys on TV swing out of their shoes when they are in some rough. It just takes brute strength get the ball to go anywhere. It's an art to be able to play out of this rough and the varying conditions you see in Florida and the grain on the greens, etc.

There is nothing like competition. Nothing. I love teeing it up with my buddies and having the gimmes and "why don't you give yourself a better lie", or "no need for stroke and distance" and things that take out some of the penalties and pressures of a game. It's relaxing like a walk on the beach, but it doesn't get the juices going. It doesn't get the heart racing and the blood pumping through the veins, the adrenaline racing through you like a Ferrari. Competition does that. It's playing your heart out and leaving everything on the course. It's shaking your opponents hand in defeat or victory at the end of the match that gets me going. For the few that get to experience this, you are in for a treat. A true head to head amateur competition like no other in golf. What a fantastic experience this is going to be.

Are we there yet?
I loved this post! My buddies and I do a yearly event called the BustaBall Classic where it is 2 teams head to head match play and man the competitive juices get flowing for sure. I love it!

It makes sense when you see guys on TV swing out of their shoes when they are in some rough. It just takes brute strength get the ball to go anywhere. It's an art to be able to play out of this rough and the varying conditions you see in Florida and the grain on the greens, etc.

Playing there was certainly a whole new animal for me, but what a blast. I found out I wasn't antwhere near as good as I thought going in, haha, but changes in how I approached the shot and where I put my ball made a huge difference. I considered myself a solid putter going in, but those greens humbled me in a hurry.

definitely. good energy definitely permeates to others
I suppose you could man. I like to see good golf, from myself and from whoever I'm playing with. I typically find that when both or all four guys in the group are in a groove, everyone tends to play well.

yeah, I think this is going ot be my biggest thing about playing...the nerves. I am a competitive person and I love it when something comes to the wire but this would be a nerve I havent dealt with. I played sports all my life and was known as the better person to put the ball in their hands to win a game, and I was very succesful at it. But to me, this would be a whole new thing to deal with. In other sports its a last second decision that makes or breaks you. In this, you have plenty of time to think about your actions and what might be the outcome. Every inch means winning or losing. I understand many people think they would have what it takes, but I think its gonna be more difficult than one expects and I think this is going to be something you would have to work on, not just show up and think you will be ok. I love the enthusiasm by all, but I really dont know if people realize that the nerves are going to be 100 times worse than you could imagine. If I get in, I am going to practice my game, and practice settling my nerves.

Bingo!

I also want to say that while this will be a ton of fun, when it comes down to it, this is a serious competition. There will be a winning side and a losing one, and the perks of being on the winning side will be cool. There will be pressure, there will be cameras, and there will be a ton of nerves. So please consider all of that as well.

:Crosses fingers:
Winners keep the swag... Winners keep the swag... Oh lord, let the winners keep the swag!

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

yeah, I think this is going ot be my biggest thing about playing...the nerves. I am a competitive person and I love it when something comes to the wire but this would be a nerve I havent dealt with. I played sports all my life and was known as the better person to put the ball in their hands to win a game, and I was very succesful at it. But to me, this would be a whole new thing to deal with. In other sports its a last second decision that makes or breaks you. In this, you have plenty of time to think about your actions and what might be the outcome. Every inch means winning or losing. I understand many people think they would have what it takes, but I think its gonna be more difficult than one expects and I think this is going to be something you would have to work on, not just show up and think you will be ok. I love the enthusiasm by all, but I really dont know if people realize that the nerves are going to be 100 times worse than you could imagine. If I get in, I am going to practice my game, and practice settling my nerves.

This is all very true. We all know that most of golf is played between the ears anyways, but put in a pressure cooker, it gets that much more exaggerated. I had the pleasure of playing in a golf league for the first time this past summer, and was initially surprised at how much more difficult it was to sink a 4 foot putt, or hit a fairway when it mattered. If it was just me I was playing for, I don't think it would have been nearly as intense, but when you represent a team, its crazy intense.

On the flip side, when you come through for your team, and perform to your potential, its a great feeling. Nothing quite like it. By the end of the summer, I couldn't wait to get out there and play.

The nerves have their way of working themselves out... it usually takes one good shot to calm down and get into a groove! And most importantly, quickly forget your bad shots, because they always happen!

Now, throw matchplay into it and you have an entirely different animal. Give 3 footers for a good part of the day and then make your opponent putt one out that means something later on in the match. Great thing about matchplay is you can have a bad hole and then just move onto the next. New hole, new match, fresh start. You don't carry anything with you.

Now, throw matchplay into it and you have an entirely different animal. Give 3 footers for a good part of the day and then make your opponent putt one out that means something later on in the match. Great thing about matchplay is you can have a bad hole and then just move onto the next. New hole, new match, fresh start. You don't carry anything with you.

there is some truth to that, esp if it's early in the match.

I love the competition aspect of this event (even though we don't know many details about the actual competition yet). I'm sure as the details come out the competitive juices are going to really start flowing. I can only imagine the trash talking that is going to start once the participants and teams are announced. However, as anyone who has played competitive golf can attest to, all the trash talking means nothing when you're standing over that first tee shot and your hands are shaking or you have your first three footer to halve a hole for your team. This is going to be an event for the ages.

JB, any chance there is going to be a rules official on hand to answer any questions that inevitably will come up? Can you say walkie-talkie?

I'd hate to see a match decided by not following a rule properly.

I love all the posts about pressure.

Last month, on my trip to Georgia was the first time I EVER played match play. SethO and I vs the Grays. I did not respond well to the pressure. Had a 5 ft'er to win a hole and it got the better of me. The only putt < 8ft I missed that weekend.

I think it is something you have to learn. This weekend will be the rematch to that one and I am going to bring it! I need to get used to the pressure and learn how to thrive. I'll work as much match play into this summer as I can- it really is a different game.

This isn't just us. There is a local pro with a +6 index and runs around our local 73.2/140 muni at 4-5 under. He has the game to play on the tour. I asked him once why he isnt and he told me "I am a head case. Couldn't handle the pressure. Some people have it, some don't- and I don't"

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

there is some truth to that, esp if it's early in the match.

Selective amnesia works. Pretend like you're a three point shooter and throw up the rock like you know you can without consequence.

I wonder at what distances the matches will be played?

Kevin

That last statement is exactly what I love about competition. Regardless if its me or a teammate, seeing that smile/joy on their face makes all the nerves worth it 100 times over. I might not be a great golfer but I'll be the best danged cheerleader that never wore a skirt.

This is all very true. We all know that most of golf is played between the ears anyways, but put in a pressure cooker, it gets that much more exaggerated. I had the pleasure of playing in a golf league for the first time this past summer, and was initially surprised at how much more difficult it was to sink a 4 foot putt, or hit a fairway when it mattered. If it was just me I was playing for, I don't think it would have been nearly as intense, but when you represent a team, its crazy intense.

On the flip side, when you come through for your team, and perform to your potential, its a great feeling. Nothing quite like it. By the end of the summer, I couldn't wait to get out there and play.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Man, I'm away from this thread for the night and look at the catching up I've had to do! This different time-zone thing is killing me!

To the competition aspect of things, I'm not overly concerned about it as I'm always in competition with myself, trying to better myself and my game. Sure the added pressure of the team and the cameras and such will be new experience, but I would embrace it with open arms. That is part of "Tour Experience" that this event is all about. So I'm still really excited about this. I just hope I can have the opportunity to be a part of it.

So, it looks likes I could have on upset wife on my hands, as this is the weekend of my 11th anniversary. Hate to say it, but, Oh well! I would think getting her to Florida for our anniversary would be enough.

JB, any chance there is going to be a rules official on hand to answer any questions that inevitably will come up? Can you say walkie-talkie?

I'd hate to see a match decided by not following a rule properly.

This will not be an issue, we promise that.

I wonder at what distances the matches will be played?

Kevin

They will be fair based on the participants. Something we have spoken to the companies about as well as a few other influential people.

Wow how did I miss this?! I definately want to be a part of it as well. This is just amazing!

It seems like you guys thought of everything. So much time, energy and thought has obviously gone into this event and we don't even know everything yet. Causing this much excitement alone deserves a round of applause for JB, GG, the sponsoring companies and everyone else involved! Thanks to you all!

You guys are going to get me in TROUBLE!!! Not only does this start 2 days after my 7th anniversary, but it is 4 days after my 2nd child's due date :beat-up: And I am still asking Mrs. Teeth if I can go. I am going to be in trouble... or owe her something so big! But this sounds like a can't miss event!

They will be fair based on the participants. Something we have spoken to the companies about as well as a few other influential people.

Thanks for the answer, JB. Beating up a bunch of amateurs from 7,200 to 7,300 yards wouldn't serve much purpose I wouldn't think.

Kevin

Course Stats:

Palmer
Black: 6916y 73.4/137
Gold: 6419y 70.9/132
Blue: 6058y 69.2/128
White: 5529y M 67.0/116 L 71.4/124
Red: 4802y M 63.3/106 L 67.0/113

Watson
Black: 7154y 74.7/140
Gold: 6697y 72.2/131
Blue: 6319y 70.6/124
White: 5990y M 69.4/120 L 74.2/126
Red: 5395y M 66.3/114 L 70.6/119

Nicklaus
Gold: 7244y 76.7/147
Blue: 6537y 72.6/142
White: 6260y M 71.3/140 L 76.9/141
Red: 5055y M 65.4/116 L 69.1/124

Thoughts?

I cant wait to see the details. This would be sooo cool to play in. Glad I joined THP. Already won some Glasses and now in hopes of the Big dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back