TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Thanks for the writeup so far.

Also glad you snuck in the bit about comparing to the R9 TP. I'm in the same boat as your Golftec instructor except I just ordered my R9 TPs last week after the big price drop on them after getting such good results with them with my Golftec work. I think overall I like the look of the R9 TP a little better than the MC, but the MCs look better in your photos that I thought they would. Like others I was concerned about the insert on the back.

Which begs the question why? I assume it is purely consmetic as they could have made it less obtrusive in design and still had the same amount of weight there, but very clearly designed the back of the club to deleniate very distinctly the outline, etc. I guess it looks more "modern" or something, which some may consider to = more technologically advanced?

Love the grip color combination you went with on them, too. Kudos.

I've hit the R9TP a few times, and I'd say they are definitely a little more forgiving than these, and are just slightly larger heel to toe. I don't think you can go wrong with the R9TP. I agree that they could have easily hidden the weight in the back of these irons, but chose to embrace the look instead. It certainly must make it easier to adjust swing weights this way also, and may make it easier to design a combo set and keep a consistent swing weight through the set (my initial thoughts right now are that I love the MCs in the PW through 7 iron, but might be tempted to load up the CBs from 6 iron through 4 iron).

Fantastic round G4L! What happens when you get dialed in on a perfect day, 67? You animal! Glad to know that these clubs can handle the NE winds up here....was the feeling as pure as pure can be?

Fantastic round G4L! What happens when you get dialed in on a perfect day, 67? You animal! Glad to know that these clubs can handle the NE winds up here....was the feeling as pure as pure can be?

Haha, 67 in my dreams buddy! They feel great. I think JB's comments on the CBs fit well, they dont sound loud or "crackie" when struck well, just smooth and subtle and buttery.

Great round, dude! Really great feedback as well. So, how was the spin with the lower ball flight. Any trouble getting the ball to stop quick?

Great round, dude! Really great feedback as well. So, how was the spin with the lower ball flight. Any trouble getting the ball to stop quick?

Ahhh, good question, thanks for asking. No, no trouble at all stopping the ball. I think the combination of hitting down on the ball and the DG shafts puts plenty of spin on the ball. For example, on the 170ish yard approaches, it was hopping and stopping (about 3 feet from ball mark to where the ball came to rest). On a short par 3, I hit a 9 iron that backed up about 15 feet. And this is with those ionomer cover balls, which I don't think are the spinniest covers going. I'm looking forward to giving it a go with the Penta or B330 and see what happens!

Niiiice. I kind of suspected that would be the case. Great feedback, man.

Ok, here is the unboxing video. Not nearly as good as One T's.

Edit: I will get better pics tomorrow with a good camera. Any requests will be fulfilled.

Gotta show the Sticker and the set.
Spoiler
897b2af2.jpg
[/IMG]

1db86a9b.jpg

Odd Numbered irons.
Spoiler
6150f38b.jpg

TP MC 3 iron vs. Diablo Forged 3 iron.
Spoiler
fea3819c.jpg

The DF sole is bigger.
8def6382.jpg

f86721ab.jpg

The MC top line is thinner as well
04d32945.jpg

7 irons now
Spoiler
dee55b73.jpg

76e9f3c7.jpg

Out with the old and in with the new!
Spoiler
535fa731.jpg

16d64c48.jpg

Wow, had to catch up. Someone earlier asked if we requested those colors on the grip, I did not, just requested that type of grip in particular. Ddec, hang in there pal, they'll show up buddy! I haven't been over to the CB thread since supper so I'll have to see if Hanks rec'd his or not. G4L, AWESOME round dude, you must be beside yourself happy right now. I can't wait to get playing (next week). SethO, outstanding looking pics and video buddy!

The day we've all been waiting for is here gentlemen, I know we'll all enjoy them and can't wait to follow along with each and every one of you as you put these through the paces! Gus and SethO....we want TONS of pics and feedback, go all G4L and pull a round in the 70s right out of the box!

Wooot. Glad to hear they made it GA, Seth! Thanks for the vid and pics :)

And now, without further ado, the on course results.

So I played a course today I've never played before (Town and Country Golf Links, 69.7 and 121 slope from the 6000ish yard blue tees). The wind was picking up as we teed off and I forgot to pick up some new golf balls. So I was playing some Callaway CB-1 Tour balls (3 piece Ionomer cover) that I got from my parents for Christmas. So basically, I had my littany of excuses lined up.

First hole: 420 yard par 4, into the wind. Hit a good 260 yard drive, and about 170 yards to center of green. Heeding my own advice from the range, I club up to the 7 iron, and hit a nice, low shot to the center of the green, with probably a 5 yard fade.

Second hole: 395 yards, hit a 220 yard hybrid leaving another 170 yard shot on a side hill lie in the rough, hit another 7 iron to pin high, left side of green (forgot to aim right for the uphill, sidehill).

3rd hole: Decent drive, 180 yards left, wind at my back, 8 iron to front of green.

4th hole is where it got interesting: Long, 205 yard elevated par 3 green, crosswind, maybe helping a little. I instantly reached into my bag for the trusty hybrid, but then thought, NO, the people at THP wanna hear about the 4 iron! I try to relax, bear down and hit a nice mid trajectory 5 yard fade to the front right corner of the green... nice! I was beaming after that shot.

4 holes, 4 pars!

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I continued to strike the ball well, and I only missed 1 green from less than 175 yards the entire round!

When all was said and done, I ended up shooting a 75 on this par 71 course. And that total was with 37 putts! The greens were in pretty rough shape (being that they were just covered in snow a week ago, and haven't been mowed yet this year). When I got home, I counted up the stats, and I hit 15 greens in regulation. I have never done that before, not even close. On the back 9, I hit all 9 greens in regulation, and shot even par for the back with a birdie and bogie (3 putt). With decent greens I had a real shot at even par for the round.

3 Times I hit lovely, low, piercing irons into the teeth of that 20mph wind and the ball flew beautifully, landing at or near center of green each time. By the middle of the back 9, I started to feel like a tour player must when they are in a zone, just smiling as they look down waiting to stick that 150 yard approach.

Now, I'm sitting here looking at my scorecard and am somewhat in shock. I was not expecting this type of performance out of these irons, and certainly not so soon. I still have a lot of work to do on the 3, 4 and 5 irons to get them dialed in, but I'd take PW through 6 iron to the bank today. For me, there's a magical combination of the small, thin, clean lines of the club head and a smooth, in tempo strike at the ball that just works. I love that I can stand over the ball and know I can hit a knockdown effectively and easily. I already have better distance control with these short irons than I ever seemed to have with my other irons. I almost want to end the testing now because I don't think it gets better than this for me. But I'm also aware that if I'm a little off, that these may very well penalize me big time. We shall see, as this is, afterall, a long term test.

Kudos to my Golftec coach too. I've been working on some things in golftec since mid December and I'm seeing results!

Wow!! Can you say honeymoon time?! That is incredible G4L. Sounds like TM picked the perfect irons for you. That is awesome shooting

Sweet round G4L!! How are they on miss-hits aside from loss of distance! How does it feel on the hands?

Man those are some gorgeous irons. I am going to have to go hit these..

Wow!! Can you say honeymoon time?! That is incredible G4L. Sounds like TM picked the perfect irons for you. That is awesome shooting

Thanks man! I would never have thought I could have my best ball striking round ever with players clubs like these. I'm really actually a little shocked right now.

Sweet round G4L!! How are they on miss-hits aside from loss of distance! How does it feel on the hands?

Mis-hits didn't hurt at all. You instantly know what went wrong, but my hands didn't hurt at all. Now, that being said, I didn't have many mis-hits today on the course. But on the range, I had my share. Not once did I get the dreaded hand stinger. The great thing is you can feel even a slight mis-hit. For instance, one groove low is obvious, and a half inch towards the toe is instantly recognized too.

Thanks man! I would never have thought I could have my best ball striking round ever with players clubs like these. I'm really actually a little shocked right now.

Mis-hits didn't hurt at all. You instantly know what went wrong, but my hands didn't hurt at all. Now, that being said, I didn't have many mis-hits today on the course. But on the range, I had my share. Not once did I get the dreaded hand stinger. The great thing is you can feel even a slight mis-hit. For instance, one groove low is obvious, and a half inch towards the toe is instantly recognized too.

I think you will be surprised. I had my best rounds last year by far when I played the blades.

Congrats G4L! What a fantastic round! I am really excited to follow this thread and follow you guy's thoughts on these irons. They are beautiful!

Congrats on the round G4L and what a way to start the testing of these new irons.

Thanks G4L!

I'm on my phone, right now so Seth, I'll look at your videos tomorrow.

I can't wait to put these puppies on the range tomorrow! As if the anticipation of hanging with THPers all weekend wasn't enough, I'll have this hanging over me all day tomorrow. LOVE IT!

I am packing up my travel bag for the weekend and these are taunting me. I am waiting until tomorrow for the final zip up so I can look at them on demand until them!

Is there anything in particular on the course people are interested in?
I'll be playing with Seth0 a lot. He is a much better ball striker than I am, so we should get some good looks at the skill level needed to get the most out of these clubs.

How many people here are in the camp that thinks that you can get better by playing "tougher" clubs?

just catching up from a few hours ago. SethO, crazy I was talking with you as the FedEx guy pulled up with your set. That's awesome. Love the unboxing video. Can't wait to hear what you and Rx think after getting out there tomorrow.

Nice round G4L.

SethO, loved the video. I am liking these video unboxings. I think a trend is starting to form. Perhaps it's just practice for the close-ups during The Morgan Cup.

Just fininshed catching up on the last 4 pages and man do you guys have me excited. Great reviews, pictures, videos and just in general observations from all. Best of luck to all of you and G4L it looks like you have found your irons for several years to come, I hope it works out the same for everyone else. Looking forward to peeping into SethO's and RxGus's golf bags this weekend and admiring those beautiful irons.

Glad you guys liked it. I am going to try to get more video this weekend with RxGus and myself, but I am going to try to get it on a better device than my phone.

I am taking off work at 3 and Gus and I are going to hit the range to try these bad boys out. They certainly look beautiful and I can' wait to see how they hit the ball.

Glad you guys liked it. I am going to try to get more video this weekend with RxGus and myself, but I am going to try to get it on a better device than my phone.

I am taking off work at 3 and Gus and I are going to hit the range to try these bad boys out. They certainly look beautiful and I can' wait to see how they hit the ball.

I have a point/click camera that does video and a TON of memory. I think we could have a lot of fun.

Off topic, I want to get some video of the vibrant wedges in play too.

Edit: Just checked. 59 mins of video to use per day. We can shoot an entire infomercial!

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

Back