Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

I'm surprised the Razr Hawk is not getting more interest.
I had a chance to do my own little demo day yesterday and got to hit some new drivers and Razr was my hands down favorite.
Granted, it was indoors with a launch monitor but here are my impressions:

Razr Hawk - 9.5 stiff : Most forgiving - mishits still went a good distance, good shots absolutely exploded, felt I could really go after it if needed but also put a smooth swing on it for great results. Great weighting that begs me to swing hard and soft feel off the face - like I feel the ball staying on the face a little longer and get really crushed. Sounds good, too. Had my longest launch monitor drive at 290 yards and averaged around 265. Now I do NOT hit that long normally, or the monitor was way off.

Razr Hawk Tour - 9.5 stiff : Almost as forgiving and feels similar as the non-tour version. I just did not particularly care for the deeper face and the shaft for non-tour version felt smoother. Still averaged around 255-260, and for some reason had more hooks than the non-tour - yes, I know it is more open, and also hit it higher than the non tour.

XL 270 - 9 stiff: I was really looking forward to trying the Miyazaki shaft so this was a must try for me when I walked into the store. I can say, the shaft indeed feels really nice especially when I put a good easy swing on it. However, my average for this club was less than 240 yards since I mishit so many shots. Maybe it's the actual weight or the length (but probably me). Longest drive was just over 280, which shocked me initially until I hit the Razr.(I hit the XL first). Another thing is my ss for this club was averaging over 105mph (my norm is around 102mph with my best results around 98mph), and highest I clocked was 113mph, so without knowing I must have really tried to swing hard. I am intrigued and would like to try this club outside. On the other hand, I could not get my smash factor much above 1.4 with this club. Swing weight is very good, Cleveland did a great job balancing the club. Head felt a little less forgiving than the Callaways, and I missed a lot of shots too high on the face. But it still had some of that soft feeling of crushing the ball like I mentioned above. - I really want to try the 290 and 310 as well outside to see the actual ball flight.

R11 - 9 stiff: Honestly, I could not care less about the color, but the head does look really good but that is where it ends for me. Whenever I hit the ball, it feels like the ball is... skidding off the face, for a lack of better term, even on good solid hits (which were rare). I could not figure out the shaft, if I go after it it felt too soft, and if I put a smooth swing on it the ball just didn't go very far and overall the club felt heavy. I did not check he swing weights so it's just purely how I felt. Since the club did not feel or sound right, I did not try changing the settings. It was my biggest disappointment of the day, and felt this would be a step back from my current driver. However, I did see other guys crushing the club, so it does work for other people very very well.

Octane Tour - 9.5 stiff: For some reason, the non-tour head looked closed to me so only tried the tour. Head was definitely forgiving and felt nice, however in every way the Razr was better in feel, sound and performance. I'll give the Octane the looks, though. Performance wise, I don't think it will be a big upgrade from my current setup.

Nice write up, I do think a lot of people are very excited about the Razr but most are waiting till the demo day to really start hitting these clubs. I have hit the Razr tour and loved it. Would not be surprised at all if it was in my bag after the outing.

Nice write up, I'm looking forward to the new Callaway line in drivers. I wasn't a fan of the previous line, the FT-3 Tour still takes the cake for best Callaway drivers made.

First day of play for me with my RH. I have to say that it feels absolutely incredible compared to my SuperTri... It is almost TOO soft and muted. If it wasn't for about 5 holes when I started slicing it, it would have been perfect on the day. Honestly, I really thought I was going to miss the R11 too much.. but after today, I don't have any reason to miss it. I really need to work on my swing a bit more with the driver so I can consistently put it on the sweet spot. Forgiveness on this thing is crazy, but I could work it a little more if I improve a bit more.

Umm, the Razr Hawk is the best driver I've ever hit. Played the tour version today and it blew me away. I was averaging 270 off the tee today (easy) and have never been so accurate. This driver is long, is accurate, and to me, when struck well, the sound is eerily similar to the R9.

Put this driver on your "to demo" list pronto. Big shoutout to biggsy here, tee'ing it a little lower worked like a charm today!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Sounds like its perfect for you. Stock shaft must have worked in your favour here!
Umm, the Razr Hawk is the best driver I've ever hit. Played the tour version today and it blew me away. I was averaging 270 off the tee today (easy) and have never been so accurate. This driver is long, is accurate, and to me, when struck well, the sound is eerily similar to the R9.

Put this driver on your "to demo" list pronto. Big shoutout to biggsy here, tee'ing it a little lower worked like a charm today!

Sounds like its perfect for you. Stock shaft must have worked in your favour here!

Yeah it was great to tell you the truth. I could easily live with it. Good, low launching ball flight and straight as an arrow. I told JB that is was as simple as point and shoot.

Yeah it was great to tell you the truth. I could easily live with it. Good, low launching ball flight and straight as an arrow. I told JB that is was as simple as point and shoot.

Glad to see it's working so well for you also. I'd like to try the SF2.0 but I really doubt anything could knock it out of my bag. Makes me wish I tried out the FT-9 last year

I have really enjoyed my Octane! After i figured out to not tee it as high as my FT5 I was hitting it better. I am still wondering if I have the right shaft for it. SO let me ask a question, the shaft I have is fitted for me with the FT5 head on it, due to the fact that the Octane head is lighter could I need to be refitted for my shaft?

Glad to hear it's working well for you. Yes, teeing it lower seems to be key.

Did I mention how much I liked this driver (the Razr Hawk that is). I love everything about it but mostly the results. Very, very straight driver for me.

Did I mention how much I liked this driver (the Razr Hawk that is). I love everything about it but mostly the results. Very, very straight driver for me.

Oh Oh, Biggsy's in trouble...

TC can you compare what you saw with the Razr Hawk with your R9? And would you consider the Hawk a "better players" driver?

done and done

I really REALLY want to hit this one. I should leave work sick.

TC can you compare what you saw with the Razr Hawk with your R9? And would you consider the Hawk a "better players" driver?

Tough for me to answer to be honest. It's a stout driver and everything about it worked well for me. It launches lower than the R9 (based off the naked eye) and I was a lot more accurate with it. I think it goes a bit further but I'm not sure. JB said its the best he's ever seen me drive the ball, so that's a nice compliment.

Tough for me to answer to be honest. It's a stout driver and everything about it worked well for me. It launches lower than the R9 (based off the naked eye) and I was a lot more accurate with it. I think it goes a bit further but I'm not sure. JB said its the best he's ever seen me drive the ball, so that's a nice compliment.

Yeah that is a very strong statement there. Cant argue with that much.

Thats great to hear TC. I'm really looking forward to hitting the driver on a real range and on the launch monitor. If it is somehow better than the Diablo edge tour and it will be in my bag next season.

Was able to play 2 rounds over the weekend with this thing and could not believe how well it performed. I am a slicer by nature, but with this thing I only hit one slice and it was on a hole I really had no business hitting driver on. Luckily for me the stock shaft was the right fit. I tested the R11 against it but had to go to the TP version for the shaft to be right and was just about the same numbers wise. Saved the 100 bucks going with the Razr Hawk. they told me if I didn't like it I could bring it back, but after this weekend they will never see this driver again. Even mishits got out there very very well.

Was able to play 2 rounds over the weekend with this thing and could not believe how well it performed. I am a slicer by nature, but with this thing I only hit one slice and it was on a hole I really had no business hitting driver on. Luckily for me the stock shaft was the right fit. I tested the R11 against it but had to go to the TP version for the shaft to be right and was just about the same numbers wise. Saved the 100 bucks going with the Razr Hawk. they told me if I didn;t like it I could bring it back, but after this weekned they will never see this driver again.

I thought the R11 and the Hawk were both $399?

Wandered into a golf shop today about 45 min away and they had a sign for a mini-demo day tomorrow that Callaway is hosting with "trackman" so gonna check that out tomorrow. Should get to try out the razr hawk and octane drivers as well as the rest of the new Callaway lineup.

I played the Razr Hawk Tour for most of my front 9 on sunday and also spent some range time with it and it is an incredible driver. That driver is one of the best sounding drivers as well as one of the best feeling drivers. when you make contact with the ball it almost feels seemless. This driver is top on my list for a new driver in 2011 but as you all know, I am waiting til after demo day to make a decision. The ball flight was a little low for me and my shot dispersion was all over the place. after some range time and a few holes on the course I did realize that I needed the regular Razr Hawk which we didnt have with us, but JB assured me that the sound and feel were the same

Back