TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

It is so good to hear that these clubs are treating you well Gus. With every post I become more and more intrigued with these irons.

Before or after I hit it? :alien:

It's rounded. Most of the time it was a traditional shank but I have had some go straight. I don't want to say how often that happened though, for personal pride reasons. Adjusting to a +3/4" was more difficult than I thought... But, now that I am used to it I don't know how I went so long with standard length clubs.

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

I completely understand getting use to the additional length and I can certainly understand the process of getting use to it.

Keep up the good work!

working a half day today because I have to bring my car in for some maintenance and get the inspection done on it. Hopefully it doesn't take that long because I can run home grab the MCs and get out to the range for a bucket or 2.

I saw the same things with the CB's too G4L.....unless it was a blatant mishit, the distance was still there to an extent but the direction was still straight
I'm definitely seeing some yardage loss with off center hits, but the ball flight is staying pretty straight. More distance loss in long iron mis-hits than short irons, which is pretty normal I believe. A pretty bad toe shot with a 5 iron was costing me about 15 yards. With the PW, more like 5 yards.

working a half day today because I have to bring my car in for some maintenance and get the inspection done on it. Hopefully it doesn't take that long because I can run home grab the MCs and get out to the range for a bucket or 2.

Bro! Youre letting me down. Youre supposed to have your clubs in the trunk along with necessary gear to play golf. Then theres no need to run home to grab anything and you save some time too. Always keep the clubs in the car. Last warning. :alien:

Bro! Youre letting me down. Youre supposed to have your clubs in the trunk along with necessary gear to play golf. Then theres no need to run home to grab anything and you save some time too. Always keep the clubs in the car. Last warning. :alien:

I only took them out because I was going to the shop. Once they look at those beauties they may disappear. However my trunk organizer is still in there. Sorry to let you down:banghead:

I only took them out because I was going to the shop. Once they look at those beauties they may disappear. However my trunk organizer is still in there. Sorry to let you down:banghead:

I'll let it slide this time. I did read that the range finder should be taken out of the trunk or it could stop working from all the hot/cold temps. So now I take mine inside and place it on the kitchen counter so I can shoot squirrels.

I'll let it slide this time. I did read that the range finder should be taken out of the trunk or it could stop working from all the hot/cold temps. So now I take mine inside and place it on the kitchen counter so I can shoot squirrels.

note tot self: do not snoop around OEM's house late at night, just in case he mistakes you for a squirrel

note tot self: do not snoop around OEM's house late at night, just in case he mistakes you for a squirrel

You should bring those MC's down this weekend to the land of Hanks for club hitting fun.

You should bring those MC's down this weekend to the land of Hanks for club hitting fun.

I'm thinking about it...Saturday is Jenn's moms birthday so I may have to fight that battle. I'm looking to get down there within the next couple of weeks.

I had a practice session at Golftec today and hit about 100 balls with the MC 5 iron. Like others have already noted, the feel on well struck shots is phenominal. Its almost like you don't feel it at all, and the sound is perfect. Continue to enjoy the feedback on less than perfect contact and the general ability to control trajectory and left/right shape. The reason I focused on the 5 iron was I was a little hesitant to pull it in a round so I wanted a better comfort level. I have that now. I was hitting some great shots by the end of my session. I can't wait for the snow to re-melt so I can get back out there again and try out the long irons a little more.

At the least, Hanks and I are going to hit up the Par Breakers simulator this weekend. Looking forward to that!

I was able to get out to the range today with these babies. It wasn't my best ball striking day, but these irons still produced some nice results. I started off hitting about 20 good shots in a row, and then all of a sudden I had a spell of the shanks. I can attest that when caught on the hosel, these clubs produce the same shank that every other iron produces. After about a dozen or so bad swings with some hosel rockets in there I took a break, walked about and down the range and regrouped. When I got back to hitting shots, things were better. I had a number of shots go high and soft to the right(about 10-15 yards distance loss) when I was missing. I did finish strong with a good chunk of solidly struck shots that flew high with a nice little draw(my natural shot shape). Still very pleased with these irons.

In the station next to me a guy was hitting the Callaway X forged irons. I had him take a few swings with these. He really liked them. He thought the ball flew higher off of these than they did with his irons. He preferred the feel of his irons, but said that could be because he is used to them more. He loved the clean look of them and the first thing he said after he hit a shot was about how great they sounded.

forge vs. forge action!!! way to finish strong ddec
I was able to get out to the range today with these babies. It wasn't my best ball striking day, but these irons still produced some nice results. I started off hitting about 20 good shots in a row, and then all of a sudden I had a spell of the shanks. I can attest that when caught on the hosel, these clubs produce the same shank that every other iron produces. After about a dozen or so bad swings with some hosel rockets in there I took a break, walked about and down the range and regrouped. When I got back to hitting shots, things were better. I had a number of shots go high and soft to the right(about 10-15 yards distance loss) when I was missing. I did finish strong with a good chunk of solidly struck shots that flew high with a nice little draw(my natural shot shape). Still very pleased with these irons.

In the station next to me a guy was hitting the Callaway X forged irons. I had him take a few swings with these. He really liked them. He thought the ball flew higher off of these than they did with his irons. He preferred the feel of his irons, but said that could be because he is used to them more. He loved the clean look of them and the first thing he said after he hit a shot was about how great they sounded.

had a little range session today. I started out with a PW and I was able to really launch the golf balls into the stratosphere. Today was more about working on my swing than testing the irons, but I can say that they performed very very well through all irons. I wanted to hit a lot of drivers so I didn't hit as many irons as I really wanted to. My driver has been giving me fits lately. I am so much more confidant with my 3 iron than my driver.

Thanks for the updates everybody

I took a cue from G4L today and took my 5i with me to golftec for my lesson. While I have been messing around with the 3/4i from the set when handicap season rolls around the 5i will be the longest iron I carry in my bag. I figure if I can feel 100% hitting that club then the rest of them will fall right in line.

Since this was a lesson I was putting much more work into the swing than I was into the irons themselves. My coach is trying to get me to develop more (any?) lag. When I accomplish this I should see a lower flight (good!), better spin (good!), and longer distances (good good!).

My iron contact all night was very good. I only had one mishit on the heel and handful of thin/fat shots sprinkled in. Overall I hit about 120 balls and got good contact on 100 of them. These clubs really do feel like hitting foam balls when you catch them in the center, and the sound that I love is all the more impressive indoors. I don't have a ton more feedback beyond what I have already said here 100 times. They look great, feel better, and sound perfect. I'll know more about how they respond to my "new" swing when I get back on the simulator next week.

The other day, I was telling Jrod that my goal before the season starts is to feel 100% comfortable with the new 5 iron.

The other day, I was telling Jrod that my goal before the season starts is to feel 100% comfortable with the new 5 iron.

Yeah, I think its a great goal. Groove the 5 iron, and 8 and 9 irons are suddenly easy peasy.

Yeah, I think its a great goal. Groove the 5 iron, and 8 and 9 irons are suddenly easy peasy.

I spent a lot of time yesterday on hitting the 5 iron myself. I feel good with the 8-PW, I think I'm going to plan on spending some time with the 5-7 to get them where they need to be.

I really enjoyed this ddec, I think this kind f feedback goes further than you think. Thanks buddy!!

I read in another thread that you guys were seeing some distance loss? if so how much?

I read in another thread that you guys were seeing some distance loss? if so how much?

Below is a compairison of lofts between my old irons and my new MC's.

------DF--------------MC
3-----20º-------------20º
4-----22.5º-----------23º
5-----25º-------------26º
6-----28º-------------30º
7-----31º-------------34º
8-----35º-------------38º
9-----40º-------------42º
PW---45º-------------47º

I did lose a little distance, but it is about half a club at most. I am still trying to iron out exact distances for my clubs.

well struck shots I am not seeing distance loss, though my lofts are similar in both sets.

PING 21 24 27 30.5 34 38 42 46
TM MC 20 23 26 30 34 38 42 47

I'm enjoying reading all of the comments on these irons. Glad everybody is liking them.

Back