TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Great stuff Gus! I love how you are getting hard core numbers in your testing. You do science very well my friend.

Great stuff Gus! I love how you are getting hard core numbers in your testing. You do science very well my friend.

Thanks Seth, I am looking forward to it too!
I realize a sim isn't ideal, but yardage and dispersion down to a yard is pretty handy sometimes!

I've just read through the entire thread and these sounds absolutely glorious. I guess I need to add another set to my "test" panel.

I am going to play a round with the #1 at the local high school. He currently plays AP2's, but we are going to play a best ball with my irons. This should be a very good test to see what he thinks. His handicap is way below mine and he works the ball more than I do.

I am going to play a round with the #1 at the local high school. He currently plays AP2's, but we are going to play a best ball with my irons. This should be a very good test to see what he thinks. His handicap is way below mine and he works the ball more than I do.

Is this the young gentleman that I met on the range?
The kid very clearly had game, but if I remember right he wasn't putting good swings on these that day. I am REALLY interested to see how this experience goes.

Oh yea, and play well!

Great updates guys! Sounds like the scoring irons on these are sweet, but longer irons are a challenge if you struggle hitting longer irons (as would be expected). Loving the updates

oh god only 21 more days til i get my mc's. i hope they come in early. they might guy said. u guys want pics i got upgraded shafts. also, im going to get a new driver. im going to try the r11 an 910 d3. wana get ahina in the 910. im a long hitter over 300 so wanted to know what shafts are good.

Is this the young gentleman that I met on the range?
The kid very clearly had game, but if I remember right he wasn't putting good swings on these that day. I am REALLY interested to see how this experience goes.

Oh yea, and play well!

It is. I am very interested to see what he thinks compared to his Titleist irons. The weather is gross today, so i don't think that I am going to get out on the course. Rain on the weekend should be illegal.

at the honda classic which is going on now. roy sabbatini is using the mc's or cb's. looks like the mc's to me

They looked like the MC's to me but I couldn't really tell.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

They looked like the MC's to me but I couldn't really tell.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I agree on the MCs as well. I saw them and paused the telecast just to take in their beauty. Then I remember I had the entire set in my garage and went in brought them in with me so I could stare at them in person. And yes... everything in this post is 100% true.

They are definitely the MCs. How dare he not hit blades :)

I agree on the MCs as well. I saw them and paused the telecast just to take in their beauty. Then I remember I had the entire set in my garage and went in brought them in with me so I could stare at them in person. And yes... everything in this post is 100% true.

Well played sir!

It is pretty neat to see the pro's playing the same irons that are in my bag. Those guys are as serious as heart attacks and they play GE irons and not blades. Kinda makes you think ya know?

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Braved the weather today and went out to the range. It was raining like crazy which didn't allow me to use impact tape very well, so that experiment is going to have to wait till the next session. The temperature was in the 40's but it felt colder because of the rain.

Anyway, as always I started my session with the 8 iron. I feel very comfortable hitting the 8 iron. It produces solid distance for me, which is about 145. I did use impact tape for my first few swings, which is when I realized that today wasn't going to be a good day for it due to the conditions. My first swing was in the center of the face, just a tad towards the heel. The ball flew nice and high and there didn't appear to be distance loss. The second shot was center though a little more towards the toe. This ball was a little right of target, though I was aiming center of the green and it landed on the right side of the green. The third shot I missed more towards the toe, but up higher on the club face. The ball went a right of the green, and probably about 10 yards short.

After the 8 iron I moved to the 5 iron, which is just outside of the comfort level at the moment. My first 2 shots were off towards the toe and that gave me a low ball that didn’t fly anywhere near the distance that a well struck shot would have. Figure 10 yards off the target to the right and 15-20 yards short. They really were bad shots. The next few were solid. Right off the center”ish”part of the club. Well struck shots with these produce some great looking results. The ball flies high and for me has just a little draw.

When it comes to forgiveness with these irons I have found that when I miss a little left or right of the center, my shots still look good. When I miss high or low on the club face the shots are definitely not what I had intended them to be in my visualization. I’m not completely afraid or turned off by that, my older irons weren’t all that different. They probably had a little more forgiveness, but they didn’t have this amazing feeling you get when you hit one on the screws.

I ended up working on my 5 -7 irons a lot today. I have grown very confident in the 8-PW, however when I get on a course I’m going to need to be able to pull out the 5 iron for a 185 yard shot and tell myself, “I have this shot.”

The 3 and 4 iron when hit well perform great, however my great shots with those 2 clubs are few and far between. That is the reason I carry hybrids. A low punch shot with a 4 iron is about all I can consistently do with these.

I still love the look and feel of these irons. I also love getting to the driving range, or being in a golf store and telling people about how Taylormade and The Hackers Paradise have given me this wonderful opportunity. The weather report for the week is looking good, with all the rain in the last 2 days we have lost a lot of snow(though more coming tonight apparently). I think it’s time I drive down to New Jersey and get these clubs on a course.

I ended up working on my 5 -7 irons a lot today. I have grown very confident in the 8-PW, however when I get on a course I’m going to need to be able to pull out the 5 iron for a 185 yard shot and tell myself, “I have this shot.”

The 3 and 4 iron when hit well perform great, however my great shots with those 2 clubs are few and far between. That is the reason I carry hybrids. A low punch shot with a 4 iron is about all I can consistently do with these.

I still love the look and feel of these irons. I also love getting to the driving range, or being in a golf store and telling people about how Taylormade and The Hackers Paradise have given me this wonderful opportunity. The weather report for the week is looking good, with all the rain in the last 2 days we have lost a lot of snow(though more coming tonight apparently). I think it’s time I drive down to New Jersey and get these clubs on a course.

Nice update ddec. I feel the same way as you... the scoring irons are becoming money for me, and I'm getting better and better with the 5 and 6 too.

You definitely should make it down for a round or 2 in this neck of the woods. Advanced forecast shows 53* and sunny for Saturday down here.

Tomorrow its supposed to be 51* here, but 30+ mph winds. I have too many meetings for a round, but hope to get out for a bucket on the grass range, and continue to work on hitting these into the wind.

Tuesday afternoon is definitely looking like another round of golf to put the MCs to the test. So far, +5 has been my worst round with these in the bag... we'll see if I can keep it up!

My weekend did not go according to plan and I had to cancel my attempts to graph the forgiveness of these irons for the time being.
Never fear though. 2 days off in the next week will ensure my ability to get it in eventually.

G4L- I am still amazed at the scores you are putting up with these irons! I am going to love getting to watch you play all weekend at PGA!

Thanks for the update ddec, way to take one for the team and get out and play in less than great weather! I'm going to get to hit these next weekend at The Kingdom and I am VERY excited!

My weekend did not go according to plan and I had to cancel my attempts to graph the forgiveness of these irons for the time being.
Never fear though. 2 days off in the next week will ensure my ability to get it in eventually.

G4L- I am still amazed at the scores you are putting up with these irons! I am going to love getting to watch you play all weekend at PGA!

Sorry you didn't get the work in on the irons you were hoping for.

I too am amazed at my scores so far. I am fearful I'll be coming back to earth a little bit in the next round or 2, but I don't think it will be due to the scoring irons. I've never been this confident in my game from 100 to 170 yards before.

SHould be fun at PGA! I think "love" and "my play" don't usually belong in a sentence together, but I do have some lofty goals I hope to reach on my rounds there, especially the National course.

You definitely should make it down for a round or 2 in this neck of the woods. Advanced forecast shows 53* and sunny for Saturday down here.

Good stuff guys. Saturday could be an option for me this week.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Grabbed 9 holes along with some practice today after church. I was hitting these irons very well today. A while ago, some were asking about spin with the lower irons and I was able to back up a Burner Tour a little with a nine iron off the tee. I still need to try some spinnier balls to be able to give feedback on the spin.

I will have more tomorrow because it is bed time now.

Here are my thoughts about my half round yesterday. The wind was blowing pretty good and that affected club selection as far as distance goes. The first tee I pulled a 5 iron for a 185 yard downhill par 3 with the wind blowing in my face. I yanked it, but it was pin high. Contact felt very clean, but I didn't even need to look at the shot to know where it was going to end up.

On the next hole, I had the same distance after my tee shot. I had a 1 club wind and I pulled the 5 iron again. I hit a great shot to the perfect number, but the wind pushed the ball a little right and I just missed the green. Off the face, I knew the shot was struck so well. What amazes me is that these irons don't make me question whether I can hit a good shot even though they are smaller/skinnier than any other iron I have ever used.

On a few par fives, I hit 3w off the deck and then hit a second with my 3i and I learned this, the 3i is so much easier for me to hit off the deck than my 3w (but I practice with my long irons much more than I do with a 3w).

Nice update Setho.

Its good to know someone can hit the 3 iron well. I'm still working on that one.

I didn't get to get out and hit a bucket today like I hoped. I got 3 new demo projects dropped on my plate today and I'm swamped. I still almost snuck out to hit a bucket, but my wife would have been pretty upset when I then came home and worked on the computer until midnight.

Still hoping to get enough done tonight that I can skip out early tomorrow afternoon and at least get to the range. Range sessions with these clubs are a lot of fun. You have so many things you can work on with these clubs, and they pay you back with great results when you're swinging well.

Nice update Setho.

Its good to know someone can hit the 3 iron well. I'm still working on that one.

thanks! My 3 iron is predominately a tee off club and I would not say I am great with it although I usually hit the fairway when I have it in my hand, but that is easier than sticking it close with a scoring iron. I think it is a confidence thing really. I know I can hit that club well so I don't even question it when I stand over the ball. If I ever so question it, I am in trouble and I have had that happen before. Not pretty.

Back