junior lefty

High School Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.6 OOB
I read in golf digest today that Padraig Harrington was a 32 handicap when he was 13. I was wondering if anyone else knew of a pro that developed later. Kind of interesting when you think about it, he must have put in countless hours to get better.

Wasn't Poulter pretty high at one time?

My man Ian Poulter!!!!

Bio:
Unable to get a place as a pro at a private club, Poulter became the assistant pro and golf shop manager at the Chesfield Downs Golf Club.[2] There he was forced by his boss to pay a full green fee every time he wanted to play in a competition. His handicap hence stayed at four, because he did not play in competitions.He has his own brand of clothing called IJP Design which he started in 2007. Poulter has never made a profit from IJP design

EDIT: I know, Irony with the avatar. I assure you, BOTH are my homeboys

So you're saying there's a chance ............. (Dumb and Dumber voice)

If I recall there was a pro (useless because I can't remember his name) but he didn't start actually golfing until he was around 24 years old.

I'm currently at a 9 so when I make it to the Tour you can chalk me down also.

I jest.

I'm currently at a 9 so when I make it to the Tour you can chalk me down also.

How old are you now JRod? Take down a stroke a year and you're good to go. See you there in 14 years :D

I jest.

How old are you now JRod? Take down a stroke a year and you're good to go. You got 14 years to spare?

Thanks Dawg, I knew he played in the 80's. That's who it is.
YW, us old guys need to stir the memory so we can stay semi-sharp. Getting hard to recall so much data now.

How old are you now JRod? Take down a stroke a year and you're good to go. You got 14 years to spare?

I was down to a +2.2 at 16 years old. Beating up my body plus marriage and a job have taken it's toll. My goal this summer is to be back down below 5. We'll see. I'm 32 now =X

I was down to a +2.2 at 16 years old. Beating up my body plus marriage and a job have taken it's toll. My goal this summer is to be back down below 5. We'll see. I'm 32 now =X

When I'm scratch I'll be PM'ing you on how the hell you ever got into the +'s

ill tell my kids this info. I'm sure it will give them hope. One of them wants to play on the Golf team but he thinks he has no chance since he did not start playing at age 5.

I'm a 10 now.....All these guys were like scratch golfers when they were my age.....so let's say I'll be the next Ian Poulter!!!

I'm like 15... I feel like I can drop a lot of strokes on short game, but I just got the shanks.

I just got the shanks.

Let the club swing through first then, not the body. Swing the club and let the clubhead dictate when the body turns. Should help.

everyone starts as a high handicapper. I wonder what tigers HC was at 13, likePoulty.

everyone starts as a high handicapper. I wonder what tigers HC was at 13, likePoulty.

Most tour pro's are scratch by the time they are 12 I believe I read in Golf Digest.

Surely someone has started a little later in life but ended up on the Senior Tour?

Larry Nelson started late in life. 20 or so. He won a major, maybe two.

Kevin

Larry Nelson started late in life. 20 or so. He won a major, maybe two.

Kevin
You're right Kevin...He started late in life...I read Larry nelson's bio...He started at 21, after returning from Vietnam...He said he studied Hogan's book and he qualified for the tour at 27....3 majors....Amazing....

Tiger was scratch around 10 or 11

Back