I think I've read somewhere that each of these guys that started later in life took to the game quickly. It didn't take them several seasons to drop from the 90s to the 80s for example. They picked it up quickly and were sort of naturals that were quickly able to shoot in the 70s consistently, then practice to get into the + handicap range. Who knows, hard work and natural talent go a long way at any age.

I read in golf digest today that Padraig Harrington was a 32 handicap when he was 13. I was wondering if anyone else knew of a pro that developed later. Kind of interesting when you think about it, he must have put in countless hours to get better.

At what age did he start playing? Was it 13 or younger. Also it could have had a lot to do with his body maturing and developing. If he developed later then he would have struggled at a younger age and then came on strong latter.

I read in golf digest today that Padraig Harrington was a 32 handicap when he was 13. I was wondering if anyone else knew of a pro that developed later. Kind of interesting when you think about it, he must have put in countless hours to get better.

That's amazing. I read some of the bios of the younger players and most seem to be breaking 70 by their mid teens.

This thread is devling into the timeline of how long it takes to progress into a Tour Pro. So if most tour players are scratch golfers by say 12-15, then what would it take someone who's older to jump from say, 1-5-handicap to scratch, even tour pro? I saw an intersting movie about a guy who tried this feat at 40...the movie itself was ehh..but the topic is what interested me. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1297918/. It's streaming on Netflix btw.

This thread is devling into the timeline of how long it takes to progress into a Tour Pro. So if most tour players are scratch golfers by say 12-15, then what would it take someone who's older to jump from say, 1-5-handicap to scratch, even tour pro? I saw an intersting movie about a guy who tried this feat at 40...the movie itself was ehh..but the topic is what interested me. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1297918/. It's streaming on Netflix btw.

I tried watching this, stupid Canadian Netflix doesn't have it.

I found the movie interesting, but the guy kind of unappealing. It was also a bit misleading because it said he was going to try and become a professional, or at least a very good, golfer, and there is no way in hell he played or practiced anywhere near enough to get it done. I understand he had a family to feed and film festivals to run, but there was no way the effort he put in was going to get him to even scratch.

Plus, he was pretty whiny.

Kevin

Back