TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Looks like I will be getting some on course testing done this weekend with golf4life. I'm really hoping these things perform for me on the course as they have on the range.

Looks like I will be getting some on course testing done this weekend with golf4life. I'm really hoping these things perform for me on the course as they have on the range.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Yeah I am really looking forward to it. Plus I get to see what g4l has been up to with these irons, he's been shooting lights out lately. It will be fun to be able to compare some thoughts in person.

I am enjoying all this feedback. These are the clubs I have been eyeballing ever since I saw the reveal for them. I think they look sharp and I am starting to like TM equipment more than any other in terms of quality and performance. I can't wait to give these sticks a try and all your feedback is making me more anxious!

Just spent the last half hour catching up on this thread. Man, you guys are doing an amazing job! It's good to hear that these are treating you all so well. Honeymoon or not, you guys are hitting these well! Looking forward to more!

Stacking up...

Stacking up...

Wow, some pretty solid reviews about the MC's. Have any of you Demo'd the AP2's as well. If so, how do they compare?

Wow, some pretty solid reviews about the MC's. Have any of you Demo'd the AP2's as well. If so, how do they compare?

I am playing with a kid this weekend who uses AP2's. Was supposed to be last weekend, but the nasty weather kept us off the course. I will try to compare them before the round.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

I am anxious to see how they compare to the ap2. Have you ever hit the nike forged vr split cavity? Just trying to find someone who can compare the new mc irons to those because that's what I play right now

I am anxious to see how they compare to the ap2. Have you ever hit the nike forged vr split cavity? Just trying to find someone who can compare the new mc irons to those because that's what I play right now

I have not. Sorry man. I don't know anybody who has them either.

I have hit all of what you are speaking of. What would you like compared?

I prefer the sound of the MCs to both the Ap2s and the split cavitys. To me that in turn adds to the feel and the feel is phenomenal. Ball flight is similar with all 3 for the most part, but I do find the MCs slightly more forgiving, then the other two. Not a lot, but slightly.

I played another 9 holes plus some practice yesterday. I started standing to far away from ball and I was not keeping my balance very well. I moved slightly closer and these irons just came alive... again. I went though a honeymoon period and then for a day or two, really struggled with some inconsistent ball striking. If you look back through this thread, you will be able to see me reference this difficulty. I am back to striking the ball like I was and I am seeing some great things with these irons.

One thing that I have noticed is that I am having to rely more on my putter because I am hitting more greens now than I used to. I have run into situations where I am trying to hit my irons to distances that I hit with my old irons, but the lofts are different and I am just a tad bit of trouble adjusting. For example, I had 150 to the center of the green and I pulled a 9 iron and missed the green. I dropped another ball and used an 8 iron and stuck one close. I thought to myself, "why didn't I do that with the shot that was going on the score card?" This Indian loves these arrows, but maybe could use a brain transplant haha.

Every time I take these out, I am always amazed at how good they feel and sound. The cotton ball analogy is just so fitting.

I played another 9 holes plus some practice yesterday. I started standing to far away from ball and I was not keeping my balance very well. I moved slightly closer and these irons just came alive... again. I went though a honeymoon period and then for a day or two, really struggled with some inconsistent ball striking. If you look back through this thread, you will be able to see me reference this difficulty. I am back to striking the ball like I was and I am seeing some great things with these irons.

One thing that I have noticed is that I am having to rely more on my putter because I am hitting more greens now than I used to. I have run into situations where I am trying to hit my irons to distances that I hit with my old irons, but the lofts are different and I am just a tad bit of trouble adjusting. For example, I had 150 to the center of the green and I pulled a 9 iron and missed the green. I dropped another ball and used an 8 iron and stuck one close. I thought to myself, "why didn't I do that with the shot that was going on the score card?" This Indian loves these arrows, but maybe could use a brain transplant haha.

Every time I take these out, I am always amazed at how good they feel and sound. The cotton ball analogy is just so fitting.

Great stuff Seth! Glad you're back on good terms with the MCs!

Great stuff Seth! Glad you're back on good terms with the MCs!

Thanks! I was never on bad terms with the MC's, but I had a few days where I was on bad terms with my golf swing. The MC's hit the ball relatively straight and playable, but I was spraying a little to the right when my normal shot is a draw. My shots were playable, but not good by any means. This only happened for a few days and not all my shots were bad mind you. I just was a little inconsistant with where I hit the ball on the club face. I guess that is when the Honeymoon ended and I got down to real golf. I just love going to the range and hitting these babies. I love pulling them out knowing I am getting ready to stick one on the green anywhere from 230 to 130 yards away.

Thanks! I was never on bad terms with the MC's, but I had a few days where I was on bad terms with my golf swing. The MC's hit the ball relatively straight and playable, but I was spraying a little to the right when my normal shot is a draw. My shots were playable, but not good by any means. This only happened for a few days and not all my shots were bad mind you. I just was a little inconsistant with where I hit the ball on the club face. I guess that is when the Honeymoon ended and I got down to real golf. I just love going to the range and hitting these babies. I love pulling them out knowing I am getting ready to stick one on the green anywhere from 230 to 130 yards away.

Dude, that is so awesome! Confidence is so important!

I hit these this last weekend at the golf show here in Milwaukee and I must say I was impressed with the feel. The feel was very close to the feel of my MP-58's. It is hard to say what distance was or shot dispersion was since I was just hitting into a net but it has gotten me interested enough to want to go to golfsmith and hit some balls into the simulator to see what I get. I also like the ability to change the swing weight for your personal preference. This is good for me because I like a little more weight in my short irons as compared with my long irons.

I hit these this last weekend at the golf show here in Milwaukee and I must say I was impressed with the feel. The feel was very close to the feel of my MP-58's. It is hard to say what distance was or shot dispersion was since I was just hitting into a net but it has gotten me interested enough to want to go to golfsmith and hit some balls into the simulator to see what I get. I also like the ability to change the swing weight for your personal preference. This is good for me because I like a little more weight in my short irons as compared with my long irons.

Glad you liked them! I think TM had just a brilliant idea with the weight in the back. They feel even better off of grass. They cut through turf like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

AI think you were mis informed

AI think you were mis informed

I agree with One-T. If you watch the video that THP shot at the PGA Show, they address the weight and why its there I believe. Its not meant to be changed and is a permanent fixture in the irons. With that being said, people are removing them and changing them, but I would DEFINITELY speak with TaylorMade about this first to make sure it does not void the warranty.

Hi all -

I am upgrading to new irons this spring and I have been waiting for the MCs and MBs to come out and demo before I pull the trigger. Can anybody compare the MCs to the Ping S56s (whic are at the top of my list) as far as feel, forgiveness and playability? I hate having to wait until the end of the month to demo these babies with golf season starting April 1st (and competitive golf events starting the w/e of April 9th) and the Ping's readily available but I certainly want to make the best decision.

Right now I play the Mizuno MP 30s and I love the forged feel, but could always use a little more forgiveness in my longer irons (which I think I would get from the MCs vs the Ping's). If I went the TM route, I would probably go 7I-PW with MB and 3I-6I MC (but not sold yet).

I agree with One-T. If you watch the video that THP shot at the PGA Show, they address the weight and why its there I believe. Its not meant to be changed and is a permanent fixture in the irons. With that being said, people are removing them and changing them, but I would DEFINITELY speak with TaylorMade about this first to make sure it does not void the warranty.

Do you think you could request a specific swing weight from TM for each club? Does this system work like that?

Nice update SethO. I'm seeing a similar thing with distances with the MBs, for example 150 should just be a stock smooth 8 iron for me so I know with the MBs my best chance of hitting it close is to stick to that, smooth stock swing and not muscle up on one. Getting that ingrained in your mind will help a lot. (For me too!)

Great work on the ball striking though, keep it going buddy!

Nice update SethO. I'm seeing a similar thing with distances with the MBs, for example 150 should just be a stock smooth 8 iron for me so I know with the MBs my best chance of hitting it close is to stick to that, smooth stock swing and not muscle up on one. Getting that ingrained in your mind will help a lot. (For me too!)

Great work on the ball striking though, keep it going buddy!

Thanks man! What you say is so true.

Has anyone testing these ever hit the original TM Tour Preffered irons. These are the irons that I play and they have the vibration dampening badge in the back of the cavity so Im curious to know if this new style of badge that is in these provides a better feel compared to the previous version.

great update Seth! the confidence is oozing through the screen at me!

Back